Hornady 7mm 180 eld-m terminal performance (pics)

Creedmoor shooter

Theres not much out there on this bullet other than Nathan Foster documenting som results on it. Going off what he has experienced I decided to try it for my self. I'm shooting them out of my Remington 700 long range 7mm Rem mag. Using rl-26 I'm launching them at 2959 fps. I shot a decent NH 9 point Saturday evening. The shot was about 50-75 yards. He ran approximately 75 yards before expiring. I didnt make the best shot on him because it was getting dark and I needed to turn my illumination on but he was looking right at me so the less movement I did the better. Anyway, I got him skinned out and so for from what I'm seeing it did its job very well. Here's a pic of the entry. 7mm sized hole. He was quartering to me slightly. Hit the point of the shoulder busting it all to heck.
20191125_160722.jpg
This is the inside of the ribcage. The right side being entry. It's hard to tell but it's about the size of a golf ball. Exit side about a half dollar
20191125_160830.jpg
Then we have the exit out the opposite leg. It's about the size of my thumb. Seems the bullet held together quite nicely after going through the shoulder.
20191125_160912.jpg
Because of where I hit him, the vitals were not hit square. It liquified the lower lobe of his left lung and hit the top of the heart. I'll know more when I actually butcher him on what the bullet did when it hit the shoulder. Just wanted to share my experience with the projectile. I'll definitely be using them again.
Resized_20191123_181328.jpg
Resized_20191123_181345.jpg

thanks for the pics. the more info the better on these bullets. I think the lower muzzle velocities and impact speeds are the key. it looks like the 6.5 creed shooters are also having better luck than the PRC shooters with the 147s
again thanks for the info and pics

thanks for the pics. the more info the better on these bullets. I think the lower muzzle velocities and impact speeds are the key. it looks like the 6.5 creed shooters are also having better luck than the PRC shooters with the 147s

Nice buck and nice writeup. Got my mulie with a 180eldm out of my 28 nosler this year. He was facing us with the night rolling in quickly so I had to shoot him in the chest. Part ended up in the rear tenderloin.

Keeping these bullets under 3000 fps I believe is absolutely key. I've used the 162 eld-m @ 3145 fps and not hit any bone and they didnt exit

Nice work. I have not visited this forum for a very long time, dropped by a few minutes ago to see whats been happening and saw your ELD-M post, perhaps my ears were burning.

Certainly good to have a projectile that works under a variety of conditions and as you have probably already seen, it can produce excellent accuracy in the Rem factory barrels. Anyway, just dropped in to say hi. I am sure you will have many happy memories of this hunt.

Nathan.

Nice work. I have not visited this forum for a very long time, dropped by a few minutes ago to see whats been happening and saw your ELD-M post, perhaps my ears were burning.

Certainly good to have a projectile that works under a variety of conditions and as you have probably already seen, it can produce excellent accuracy in the Rem factory barrels. Anyway, just dropped in to say hi. I am sure you will have many happy memories of this hunt.

Nathan.
Thanks for all the work you do. Your work prompted me to give it a whirl. Terminal ballistics has always been fascinating to me. The BC for me has worked out to .395 g7 in summer temps. Good all around bullet so far from what I'm seeing.

I used them on over a dozen animals and I gave up. I had a lot of results like yours. And some erratic results where we couldn't find any of the bullet and there wasn't an exit. Good luck with them