Hornady 7mm 180 eld-m terminal performance (pics)

How did the vitals look? Did it exit?
I actually had to hit him twice. My "rest" wasn't good at all so my first shot him him high and broke his spine. No exit. I watched him for a min and realized he was still alive so I got down and got up close do him and put one in the vitals and finished him off. That one was at only 20 yards so that one didn't exit either which I expected being that close. Vitals were destroyed. I was actually pulling out chunks of lung when I gutted him.

Good stuff
The ELDMs are killers.
I posted this on another thread but my wife took a cow elk at 200 yards this season with a 225 eldm, I've never seen an animal drop like that with a lung shot.
Not even a twitch just pancaked dead, I'm switching over from Bergers
One thing I've noticed with eld-m vs berger is the eld opens much quicker than the bergers do. In my limited experience with bergers I'd say the eld-m is more dramatic in the damage department. I wouldn't say they're necessarily better than bergers because the bergers still do a good job. But there's no denying the eld-m causes more trauma

I started communicating with Nathan F. in 2016. He got me using the ELD-M 208g in my 30-06 and 147g in 6.5x284. 75 plus head taken in Africa since. 99.9% bang flop. The 0.1 % was on me. (Shot placement) Used on everything but DG. He has some great books and a wonderful web site. Thanks a bunch Nathan.

Chronic

My buddy and I each shot a coues whitetail with a 180eldm last weekend. The shots were both at 300yds. My shot was quartering away and when right through the vitals and exited the front of the off shoulder. My buddy's shot started high shoulder then went down through the vitals into the off shoulder (we were above them) and we found part of the jacket under the skin. In both cases the vitals were destroyed. Also in both cases neither deer took a step. They both flopped with they legs in the air. I was very happy with the performance!

Impact velocity for both shots would have been just over 2500fps.

I started communicating with Nathan F. in 2016. He got me using the ELD-M 208g in my 30-06 and 147g in 6.5x284. 75 plus head taken in Africa since. 99.9% bang flop. The 0.1 % was on me. (Shot placement) Used on everything but DG. He has some great books and a wonderful web site. Thanks a bunch Nathan.

Chronic
Yes, Nathan loves the 208 in the 30-06. I believe he referred to it as the Hammer of Thor. Curious on your results with that bullet. What velocity are you running it at (around 2600-2650 fps)?? Also, I would assume your '06 has a long throat in order to use the bullet to its best ability …..am I correct?

One thing I've noticed with eld-m vs berger is the eld opens much quicker than the bergers do. In my limited experience with bergers I'd say the eld-m is more dramatic in the damage department. I wouldn't say they're necessarily better than bergers because the bergers still do a good job. But there's no denying the eld-m causes more trauma
I've used bergers quite a bit and I've had a 215 fail to expand at an impact velocity of 2100 fps, and seen minimal expansion with small wound channel with the 220 lrhts.
I personally know 3 guys who've also had multiple failures to expand with 195s, 215s, and 300 eols.
Eldms expand 100% of the time

I've used bergers quite a bit and I've had a 215 fail to expand at an impact velocity of 2100 fps, and seen minimal expansion with small wound channel with the 220 lrhts.
I personally know 3 guys who've also had multiple failures to expand with 195s, 215s, and 300 eols.
Eldms expand 100% of the time
I cant really speak about the bergers failing as I havent see one personally yet. I will day however I've always preferred a tipped projectile for hunting vs just a hollow point. I'm always afraid the tip will get clogged and fail to open. Eld-m bullets open very rapidly and if anything open alittle to rapidly sometimes. I've never seen one not open and we kill a pile of deer with them.

I have same rifle and didn't think I could use the 180's as I figured the twist was too slow for them. Maybe I'll grab some since they worked for you.