Terminal performance of the 6.5mm 140 eld-match (pics)

Negative. My rifles never liked tge q47 as much as the 140. I know @codyadams has used it with sparatic results which is another reason I stayed away. So far I've used the 140 in 6.5 and 162 and 180 in 7mm. All have not disappointed
Yeah Cody did a write up over at LRO. FURMAN had some questions on if there were changes from old production to new production if I remember correctly. I have a recent production box of 147 gr so I'll try that. Not sure which I'll get to first. The 260 AI 147 gr ELDM or the 7mm RM with 180 gr ELDM.

My son killed his first bear on his 8th birthday lastnight with the 140 eld-m out of the 6.5 creedmoor. Shot was 15 yards and the bear ran 20 and expired. Unfortunately due to the circumstances I didn't get any photos of anything. It's was raining and we were in the muck and mud trying to get this thing out of the woods. 181lb sowView attachment 493318
WTG young man! Congrats all around.

Yup, match bullets are horrible for killing animals. That's why my wife uses the 7mm 162gr A-Max (the old ELDM), just kills horribly. Animals really dislike these bullets. Being sarcastic of course.

@Creedmoor shooter thanks for sharing all that info and pictures, much appreciated sir.
MANY MANY animals have been shot with good results with match bullets.... a few years ago over on Snipers Hide site... there was a thread about match bullets.... many herd reduction ranchers used SMK`s exclusively....

I'd shoot the 140s over 147s. The 140 has a lot less bearing and can run faster. The 147 has had the largest variation in test BC across ABs lab of any bullet. Running a 7.5tw may help, but I haven't tested. 140eld always test in 310-314g7 in an 8tw. The 147s have varied fromn 310-330, the same lot of bullet, in the same rifle, in the same shot string. I personally won't use inconsistent bullets.

Chalk up another for the 140 eld-m. 225 yard shot my youngest sister shot her 2nd deer lastnight. Buck only went 30 yards before going down. Launch velocity 2700 fps. I was not there for the autopsy, but my father said it looked like a mini grenade went off in his chest. Slight quartering to angle so the bullet destroyed the lungs and liver and didn't exit. Bullet may be in the hide on the off side but we're not sure yet.

This bullet continues to impress me. The 6.5 creed/140 eld-m combo is just absolutely deadly and is to date my favorite whitetail combo for close to midrange
20231022_180922.jpg

Chalk up another for the 140 eld-m. 225 yard shot my youngest sister shot her 2nd deer lastnight. Buck only went 30 yards before going down. Launch velocity 2700 fps. I was not there for the autopsy, but my father said it looked like a mini grenade went off in his chest. Slight quartering to angle so the bullet destroyed the lungs and liver and didn't exit. Bullet may be in the hide on the off side but we're not sure yet.

This bullet continues to impress me. The 6.5 creed/140 eld-m combo is just absolutely deadly and is to date my favorite whitetail combo for close to midrangeView attachment 504294
Going to try some out of a 16". Should be about 2550-2600 with R 26. I'll know for sure in a couple days.

Going to try some out of a 16". Should be about 2550-2600 with R 26. I'll know for sure in a couple days.
I've tested it in 2 22in barrels and one 26in. 26in exceeded 3000 fps. 22in barrels both topped out a shade over 2900. However one thing I noticed is the shorter barrels didn't shoot all that well with rl-26. But the 26in shot it very well.

I've tested it in 2 22in barrels and one 26in. 26in exceeded 3000 fps. 22in barrels both topped out a shade over 2900. However one thing I noticed is the shorter barrels didn't shoot all that well with rl-26. But the 26in shot it very well.
Yes I got to 3000 in a 26 which is what quickload had at 63k. It's pushing it for sure. I'm not going to load that hot since it's for a youths rifle. The 129 gr american whitetail shoots good in it but havent chronoed it. We could just use that as the hunt is fast approaching. I will also try some of the standard H4350 load but it will be slow. Prob 2450-2500. I'm sure the 140 eldm will do fine even at slower speeds. Shots will be inside 100.

Recent Posts