Hornady 7mm 180 eld-m terminal performance (pics)

This axis is an example of why hornady says to not use eldm for hunting. They are not designed for hunting and your resulrs may vary. Just like using a hunting bullet for target shooting. You can get excellent/match accuracy but more likely to get a flyer than a match bullet as not what bullet is designed for. It may not happen often but a higher possibily. It will show up more often in using hunting bullets on targets as we shoot way more bullets at targets then game. Some folks so enamored with BC or accuracy of these bullets rationalize this fact away but it is what it is. As the people who make the bullet say … use at your own risk.

For some hunting, like extreme long range, the less likelihood of flyer with match bullet may outweigh the risk of poor terminal performance

Lou

Last edited:
I will agee from my personal exprience that the eldm is not a good hunting bullet. They have worked good on thin skinned game, deer and antelope, but on heavy hide elk, NOT! First cow we shot at 400 yards with 180 eldm ran off, and never caught up to her. Then a bull at 450 broadside, shot him 3 times , 7 saum, walked behind a tree and laid down. Took him 30 minutes to die. Should of been dead on first shot. Bullets were not getting any penetrtion due to coming apart to soon. The videos of the animals dropping in there tracks with the high shoulder or spine shots are not good reference for the bullet. Most all bullets will drop them with that shot. Hit one in the shoulder and its a different story. I've shot several different caliber eldm's into bundles of wet newspaper and they all come apart bad with poor penetration , especially when compared to Nosler's and some berger's.

The 180 eld is an instant killer on Whitetail. I will keep on using it on whitetail but it would not be my choice for elk.

What about for dall sheep and caribou this august in NWT out of 7prc?
20" barrel going 2710 ish.

Another rifle 7prc
24" barrel 2875 ish.
175eldx is 2900fps

So eldm or eldx?

Also gonna load 180 Berger hybrids in Peterson brass. Will take whichever gun and load shoots best period.

Another rifle 7prc
24" barrel 2875 ish.
175eldx is 2900fps

So eldm or eldx?

Also gonna load 180 Berger hybrids in Peterson brass. Will take whichever gun and load shoots best period.
I think you will be fine with the 180eld on sheep. You don't want to hit a caribou in the shoulder with it.

Another rifle 7prc
24" barrel 2875 ish.
175eldx is 2900fps

So eldm or eldx?

Good Luck in your Adventure !!!
Be sure to post photos of your hunt .

Recent Posts