Tipped Match King terminal performance

TMKs are more reliable than both match kings and Berger's. I've killed a couple mulies and 2 bulls with the 168 TMK out of 300 wm. Avoid shooting heavy bone! Inside 300 yds they're very explosive but 300-600 yds I was very impressed. I still like the heavier 208eldm better at all ranges, less explosive but hits a lot harder. Good luck 👍

Just want to clarify a couple things, I'm not asking IF I should use them on game. I am asking for experience/results from people that HAVE used them on game.

While I appreciate everyone's opinion this far, I have molded my beliefs about bullet use over years of actual experience not reading a forum. I have expectations of bullets based on design and intended function.

With that being said keep the info coming, some good stuff so far. On both side of the argument!

Last edited:
I've got some 195s I've been meaning to play with in my 300 win. They have a very large plastic tip, indicative of a very large hollow point and the violent performance that comes with that.

I've had nothing but wonderful results with the 225 eld m but I have to seat them so long that they render my bolt gun a single shot.

so I'm thinking of making a "repeater load" around the 195 tmk.

TMKs are more reliable than both match kings and Berger's. I've killed a couple mulies and 2 bulls with the 168 TMK out of 300 wm. Avoid shooting heavy bone! Inside 300 yds they're very explosive but 300-600 yds I was very impressed. I still like the heavier 208eldm better at all ranges, less explosive but hits a lot harder. Good luck 👍
I like the 225 eld m for the same reason 😁

Anyone have any experience with the tipped match kings in a hunting setting, specifically terminal performance?
Looking for a solid bullet option for a 300wm 10 twist. Despite everything being sold out I managed to find some TMKs in stock but have no experience with them.

Thanks in advance
SC
My experience won't match yours with a 300WM. Mine is from a 308 win running the 168TMKs at 2880. I've killed deer with them with outstanding results. I think you'll see the 300WM have identical results at longer ranges than my 308. My results were at ranges under 300 yards. The kills were fast and where the deer stood. Bullet performance was reliable and stayed together well. 75% retention roughly. I think they'd fragment much more if impact velocities were faster but not sure. I've heard some cases where they didn't open up much due to shot placement and very high velocities made pencil holes in and out. My results are very good at my impact velocities.

My experience won't match yours with a 300WM. Mine is from a 308 win running the 168TMKs at 2880. I've killed deer with them with outstanding results. I think you'll see the 300WM have identical results at longer ranges than my 308. My results were at ranges under 300 yards. The kills were fast and where the deer stood. Bullet performance was reliable and stayed together well. 75% retention roughly. I think they'd fragment much more if impact velocities were faster but not sure. I've heard some cases where they didn't open up much due to shot placement and very high velocities made pencil holes in and out. My results are very good at my impact velocities.
Good info thank you

I use the 160 TMK in a 7 saum. 20 inch barrel suppressed. 2850 fps. Shot a few deer with then now out to about 600 yards. Work well. A very big deer etc up close I would use something a bit harder but no doubting further out they work.

I just read an article in a Field and Stream Magazine about using target/match bullets for hunting big game. He made a good argument for using them. I guess I'll just have reserve judgement because I don't have any experience with them.

Did anyone end up using a tmk on elk this year?

I'm trying to decide between the 175tmk and 175 scenar for shooting and then elk next fall.