Terminal performance of the 6.5mm 140 eld-match (pics)

Creedmoor shooter

I've decided to go ahead and post my experience with this bullet on whitetails and black bears. I've only fired this bullet out of the 6.5 creedmoor with velocities between 2700-2850. I've gotten much more into terminal performance over the past 3 years whether it's bullets or broadheads.

It's no secret I'm a very big fan of the ELD-M bullet for whitetails and blackness and for goof reasons. I've yet to see either walk away from this bullet and live to tell the tale. After using it since it came out and killing a bunch of critters with it, I can comfortably say it is absolutely and 100% a winner of a bullet without a shadow of a doubt at creedmoor velocity.

I dont have pics of absolutely every critter I've (or near family) I'll list what I have. I don't have an exact count on how much we've killed with it, but it's quite a few.

I'll start with my latest trip to NC for hunting whitetails. First put is a doe shot at about 125 yards. Broke the front side shoulder, exiting behind the opposing side shoulder. Dropper her like a ton of bricks the rib cGe pics are the exit wound. Entry side coming in was about the size of a golf ball. I didnt get any pics of the vitals unfortunately. As you can see from the stuff in the bottom of the rin cage, everything was literal mush.
20221020_084422.jpg
20221020_111244.jpg
20221020_111322.jpg
20221020_115415.jpg

Now we move onto doe #2 from NC. Due to the situation I didn't get any pics of it so I apologize for it. The guides were in a hurry so I honestly didn't have time. This deer also dropped immediately without a twitch. It didn't break the entry shoulder, but it broke the exit with the bullet stopping on the off side in the hide. Very similar to what you saw above

Now we move to doe #3. Shot was 185 yards. Broke the entry shoulder and the hole you see is the exit out the back. Deer wheelies and ran 20 yards. Once again, vitals where mush. There is also a pic of the heart (atleast what's left of it) attached.

30203376716713.jpeg

20221019_194424.jpg
Now we move to the deer my son shot the past weekend. Shot was 100 yards. He hit it a smidge back but that was ok because the eld-m sent enough fragments into the vitals
20221023_102340.jpg
20221023_173703.jpg
20221023_100549.jpg

This next deer was a small buck my wife took at 308 yards. Buch was on the move when she shot him and slightly quartered to.

The rib cage is the exit. Most of the hit was liver, but the eld sent frags into the lungs and he expired in 20 yards
20211118_073112.jpg
20211118_090323.jpg
20211118_091045.jpg
20211202_193258.jpg

Next critter I'll include is one of 3 bears we've taken with this bullet. Unfortunately the only one I have pics of. Impact was 15 yards, complete exit, and bear died in 25 yards. Vitals were soup. The pics I have of it are entry, and exit sides of the ribcage
20181002_201950.jpg
20181002_201956.jpg

Unfortunately that's really all I can find for pics. Like I said, I'm just really now getting into the documentation side of it. There's many more animals we've killed with it that I just don't have photos of so I'll leave all those out. Just wanted to share my experience with them. I've yet to see any sort of "bullet faliure" of any kind. I got away from the 6.5 for a couple years in favor of my 7mm rem mag with the 180, but I'm back in the saddle with the 6.5. I can comfortably say hands down it's my favorite combo for normal whitetail hunting and reasonable ranges. All from a bullet that only costs about 40 cents to boot.

I much prefer animal test vs gel, leather, newspaper, water jugs etc., because though they are meant to simulate an animal, they simply don't. The other media's may perhaps give an idea of one bullet vs another, but they really don't give the same kind of results that actual use on animals do, and can be misleading. We have harvested and documented 25+ animals a year over the last 6-7 years, mainly pronghorn, and also deer and elk. I have learned a lot from that, but the biggest thing is that there is no replacement for on game testing.

Also, that while some bullets have generally better performance than others, what is more important (within reason) is good shot placement. A bullet that causes decent damage and average on game performance, placed through both lungs, will kill better than a bullet with phenomenal terminal performance, placed through the lower intestines. On the flip side, same shot placement with both bullets, the one with better terminal performance of course gives a better chance for an easier recovery.

Keep up the testing brother, looking forward to more results!

My hunting partner showed up with a 6.5 Creed a few years back and the first deer he shot we found bits and pieces of lead and jacket all over in the animal. Saved up the pieces during the dressing out. Next day, we are discussing ammo and he hauls out his ELD-M 6.5 Creed stuff.

Several of us were there. We had all the bits and pieces, cup and core separated. Basically, the ELD-M blew up. Just a doe, so she died.

I disagree with this whole thread. Use a bullet designed to kill. Otherwise, you will eventually consign an animal to a slow death. Not what a modern ethical hunter should aspire to.

I much prefer animal test vs gel, leather, newspaper, water jugs etc., because though they are meant to simulate an animal, they simply don't. The other media's may perhaps give an idea of one bullet vs another, but they really don't give the same kind of results that actual use on animals do, and can be misleading. We have harvested and documented 25+ animals a year over the last 6-7 years, mainly pronghorn, and also deer and elk. I have learned a lot from that, but the biggest thing is that there is no replacement for on game testing.

Also, that while some bullets have generally better performance than others, what is more important (within reason) is good shot placement. A bullet that causes decent damage and average on game performance, placed through both lungs, will kill better than a bullet with phenomenal terminal performance, placed through the lower intestines. On the flip side, same shot placement with both bullets, the one with better terminal performance of course gives a better chance for an easier recovery.

Keep up the testing brother, looking forward to more results!
Agreed on all accounts. Alot of people put alot of stock into gel. It gives us a consistent test platform but people need to remember it's not the real deal. I still like to see tests in gel, but I'd rather look at vitals of an animal.

On a side note, I'm slightly jealous of the number of critters you guys get to take 🤣 here in NE, we get a single rifle tag for whitetail, and a single tag for bear. So it's taken me awhile to get as much data as I have on it. Not everything shot by me, but also family members

Last edited:
My hunting partner showed up with a 6.5 Creed a few years back and the first deer he shot we found bits and pieces of lead and jacket all over in the animal. Saved up the pieces during the dressing out. Next day, we are discussing ammo and he hauls out his ELD-M 6.5 Creed stuff.

Several of us were there. We had all the bits and pieces, cup and core separated. Basically, the ELD-M blew up. Just a doe, so she died.

I disagree with this whole thread. Use a bullet designed to kill. Otherwise, you will eventually consign an animal to a slow death. Not what a modern ethical hunter should aspire to.
Thats ok if you disagree. It doesn't change the fact this bullet flat out works. This bullet kills very swiftly. If I thought it wouldn't kill animals quickly, I wouldn't use it.

I didn't start this so people can say how terrible it is to use match bullets. I understand how to use them, and their limitations. So please let's not turn this thread into an argument over match/"hunting" bullets.

We've killed a few animals with the 147 ELDM - it's a great bullet!
I've not used the 147 for hunting. I was going to, but after seeing @codyadams results with them and their inconsistencies I decided against them. One thing I'll give this 140 is its very consistent in its performance. I whole heartedly trust this bullet and would take it anywhere in the world to shoot deer sized game.

Good luck with that.....

Talking about bullets or new cartridges is like praising Trump in a room full of liberals on this forum.
The biggest problem you will encounter sooner are later is a shot too the shoulder bone , causing the bullet too not penetrate , or a hard angling shot that will rip the jacket causing jacket and core separation , once again no penetration . The 143 gr eldx is designed for what you are doing with more of a safety margin built in for those tough shots . I don't understand why hunters are bent on using the 147 eldm when the 143 eldx wood be a better choice as a hunting bullet.

Recent Posts