Borescope of cleaning the carbon ring out of a 300 ultra

Mram, love your video's!!!

Those darn carbon rings get so thick that they actually start to crimp the bullet in the neck! Pressures can sky rocket from a carbon ring. You can imagine how pressure changes as the neck expands less and less.

Lots of ways to get the carbon out, mostly mechanical through brush or abrasive.

Really bad ones I use plastic brushes, bronze bristle brushes, with Montana Extreme copper cream, which is a LOT easier than JB.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1014782252?pid=331485

Have you borescoped the barrel to verify it working? If so, love to see some before after pics to see. Thanks

Yes, I have scoped the barrels, and they are clean after the Wipe-Out overnight soaking. I only did that a couple of times; the rest of the time I just trusted their blue dye indicator, since it didn't lie to me on the occasions where I actually checked. I wasn't looking for carbon rings, so I won't know until I scope them again if I have any of that. It's certainly a worthy project, but I'm a little hesitant to go down that rabbit hole right now. After I get a few other projects knocked out, I'll delve into that matter.

While I vastly prefer to soak out the crud, I'm certainly not opposed to working it out with elbow grease. I have used JB paste a lot in the past, and would probably try that if the Wipe-Out product doesn't soak it out. I already have a bottle of their multi-purpose cleaner, which is supposed to address the carbon issue. If that doesn't work well enough, I plan to try their solution that is specifically for carbon. I'm hoping that somebody chimes in with a positive review of that product. If it works as well as their copper remover, it will save me a lot of work.

John, I have a hawkeye. I have not seen Wipe out take out carbon from soaking. Pre treat with Accelerator, then Tactical has been the best with scrubbing.
270 win
280 AI
7 Mag

A soak after a scrubbing with a Issio or Montana Extreme plastic brushes seems to work well.

Like others here I have tried several products that claim to be better than others at cleaning our barrels. Lots of them have gone via the trash can. Currently I am shooting 5 precision rifles. I have been able to avoid the carbon ring by cleaning with Wipe Out Tactical and then with Wipe out if I have copper showing. The Tactical will get the copper out but is slower than Wipe out with Accelerator. If time permits a good overnight soak is the easiest way to get the copper out. I do use a borescope to determine when my rifles are clean. Premium barrels make the cleaning job much easier. Currently all my precision rifles except one have Rock Creek cut rifling barrels and the lone odd one may soon be wearing a Rock Creek as well.

I appreciate the reports of cleaners that work, but would like to see pics before and after.

John, I have a hawkeye. I have not seen Wipe out take out carbon from soaking. Pre treat with Accelerator, then Tactical has been the best with scrubbing.
270 win
280 AI
7 Mag

A soak after a scrubbing with a Issio or Montana Extreme plastic brushes seems to work well.

I've seen some videos of various solutions soaking the carbon off AR & handgun parts, but that's not the high-pressure baked-on carbon one gets in a chamber neck or throat. It seems that any of these solutions need to have the deposit softened up with some mechanical action to set them up to work well. No substitute for elbow grease …….

Like others here I have tried several products that claim to be better than others at cleaning our barrels. Lots of them have gone via the trash can. Currently I am shooting 5 precision rifles. I have been able to avoid the carbon ring by cleaning with Wipe Out Tactical and then with Wipe out if I have copper showing. The Tactical will get the copper out but is slower than Wipe out with Accelerator. If time permits a good overnight soak is the easiest way to get the copper out. I do use a borescope to determine when my rifles are clean. Premium barrels make the cleaning job much easier. Currently all my precision rifles except one have Rock Creek cut rifling barrels and the lone odd one may soon be wearing a Rock Creek as well.

It looks like you've been able to stay ahead of the carbon ring with the Wipe-Out products, and not let it build up in the first place. "An ounce of prevention beats a pound of the cure." Are you soaking overnight with the Tactical Advantage, or with the Wipe-Out copper remover ? Have you tried the one from Sharp Shoot R that is just for carbon ?

IMO the best product out there is SharpShootr "Carb Out". And you do not have to worry about harming the barrel exposing it long term. Want to try some, let me know and I will send a sample out of my bottle.

It looks like you've been able to stay ahead of the carbon ring with the Wipe-Out products, and not let it build up in the first place. "An ounce of prevention beats a pound of the cure." Are you soaking overnight with the Tactical Advantage, or with the Wipe-Out copper remover ? Have you tried the one from Sharp Shoot R that is just for carbon

Yes that was my point I try not let the carbon ring get to be a headache.
I have not tried Sharp Shoot R. I have not had to soak over night With the Tactical Advantage. I usually push a nylon brush with Tactical Advantage thru several times and then clean with pellets and repeat 3 times sometimes 4 times before the pellets are clean. Then I check for copper with Wipe Out. Honestly I rarely find copper in my rifles. Since I am the "local gun expert" I clean a lot of guns per year because most guns brought to me that "won't shoot" are just in need of a deep cleaning.

IMO the best product out there is SharpShootr "Carb Out". And you do not have to worry about harming the barrel exposing it long term. Want to try some, let me know and I will send a sample out of my bottle.

That's very nice of you to offer, Sir - but that stuff may be impossible to ship ( due to hazmat regulations.) I'll borescope all my rifles and see if I have any carbon problems to deal with, and pick up a bottle locally and try it. First, though, I'm going to try their Tactical Advantage, since I already have a bottle right here - and, they mention carbon problems on the label. I just don't think that their all-purpose solution is going to be as potent as their job-specific carbon cleaner, so I'll be trying it with the idea that they have "a bigger hammer" if I need one. I've been so happy with their copper remover that I'd like to give their other stuff a shot. I'm not used to having things work exactly like the guy who sold it to me said it would, and that's the way it has been with Wipe-Out copper remover.

Recently I went looking for some carbon remover products and found many.
A guy in the store shoots black powder shoots at Big Timber MT and spoke of the products that did not work for him and some that did work.
He mentioned Seal 1 as the best he has used but his was fouling from Black Powder long distance rifles and not from what I shoot.
I ordered some and will try it as I have some light carbon in 2 rifles.
I'll post results but the website said it melted carbon.We will see.
Old Rooster

Try JB before you go toooo far down the solvent dead end road. JB works and works very well or I would not have mentioned it.
Just wrap a patch around a nylon brush maybe one caliber smaller than the brush to get a tight fit. Run it back and forth in the throat about 20 times. Check with the scope and maybe do it again.
I also like to use the brush and patch setup with one piece of one of those screw together cleaning rods everyone used to use. Stick the one end in a cordless drill and the brush on the other. Spin it slowly in the throat a little bit. The ring will be gone in no time and it will not hurt the barrel.
I used c4 soaked patch on a nylon brush in my 204, let it soak multiple times before doing ur mentioned method of spinning it in drill.

Well, I don't have a bore scope, so I can't really say I got it all out...however, I sure got a lot of crud outta my rifle. I got some Seafoam motor treatment, and since I couldn't find Bore-Tec locally, I got some Hoppes No 9 Bench rest solvent. And a nylon brush spun slow in a cordless drill. Could not believe the amount of black gunk that came outta there. Took me all day. Thought I was done, then ran a solvent patch thru....came out really really dirty, so started the whole thing over again...3 times. Don't know if I got it all, but it was DANG sure better than when I started.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.