Whats My Borescope Telling Me

For some reason beyond my skill set, a lot of the Remington slide actions seem to be slightly more accurate than the semi auto models. Maybe it's the chamber or the gentler loading of cartridge or some other factor I don't know. However, a buddy of mine has a Browning BAR that shoots under 1MOA with factory ammo.
A friend of mine has a 50+ year old Browning BAR 30-06 that shoots consistent 1/2" groups at 100 yards with factory Remington core locks. Very manageable recoil to boot. I was amazed how well it shoots for a semi-auto.

I have an even older Rem Pump in 30:06 and the only amo it would shoot 1 moa was Winchester power point 150 gr. Federal and everything else was about a 2.5 in group. I can get 1moa with handloads. Gun was made back in the 60s. It is still in cabinet but do not shoot it much now. Used to be my only deer rifle.

I have a Remington 742 .242 that was my father's. Yes, they are not the most accurate, but with some work I can get mine to 1.25" 3 shot groups pretty consistently. My barrel looks like the one posted as well. Needless to say, my dad died 30 years ago this December when I was in high school. His preferred cleaning supplies was a three piece rod from a cheap kit from Kmart, old t-shirts and WD-40.
After I got older and into guns, I quickly changed the cleaning approach to my rifles. I took every precaution I could to protect the muzzle while cleaning, but after I bought a bore scope I could see the damage. I put in a reduced pull spring in it and all of my Remington shotguns. Triggers are quite a bit better, but yea the long pull still remains. Make sure the forearm is tight, that had been a major hinderance in accuracy if not tight.
Last year I started hand-loading for it. Yeah, it patterned more like a shotgun. That's when I noticed nicks on the crown. I cleaned it up with the jag and paste I bought from MCarbo. It really helped and again making sure the forearm is tight as well. While I have a few loads that will shoot closer to 1.5", it really likes 100 gr. Remington Corlockts for some reason. 1.25" consistently on good days. While I have t hunted with this rifle in 12 years, it still goes to the range with me, and I would hunt deer with it, if I was in the lower 48.

After attempting to zero in a friend's 1994 Remington semi-auto 30-06, I ran the borescope down the barrel. Hadn't thought to do so prior to shooting because it appeared to be so well oiled and maintained.

Took about 6 shots for the barrel to start to settle down and then about the best I could do was 3 inches at 100 yds. Multiple 3 shot groups (as I was adjusting the Leupold scope) would have two about an inch apart and one flier, but never in the same order. All groups were about the same shape ( 2 close together and one high and left).

There is more corrosion in the barrel. Pictures are just typical of what's there. It exists from throat to muzzle, but chamber is clean.

Is this what is to be expected. I've seen some horrid looking barrels that shot well and some that didn't look too bad that shot terrible. Kinda new to interpreting what I see with the bore scope.

As always, thanks for your help!
I would start with making sure base and rings are tight.
Then some JB Bore paste and give the bore a scrub...see if that helps.
I had a 7400 that never shot as well as I expected despite meticulous handloading.
Sold it and got a 7600 pump in 06....my handloads drop a 150gr barnes ttsx into 0.5" group at 2930 fps...luv it

At the moment, he will use it on his hunt and likely the rest of his life at home. It would be cheaper to purchase an inexpensive new rifle than to replace the barrel, and he's not interested unless he has no other options.

I would start with making sure base and rings are tight.
Then some JB Bore paste and give the bore a scrub...see if that helps.
I had a 7400 that never shot as well as I expected despite meticulous handloading.
Sold it and got a 7600 pump in 06....my handloads drop a 150gr barnes ttsx into 0.5" group at 2930 fps...luv it
Went through the scope and base prior to shooting it.

If he wanted I could run some jb through but at this time, and with no guarantee of improvement, he's not necessarily inclined to try. I'll check with him, but time is passing and he needs to zero it for his own shooting form.

After attempting to zero in a friend's 1994 Remington semi-auto 30-06, I ran the borescope down the barrel. Hadn't thought to do so prior to shooting because it appeared to be so well oiled and maintained.

Took about 6 shots for the barrel to start to settle down and then about the best I could do was 3 inches at 100 yds. Multiple 3 shot groups (as I was adjusting the Leupold scope) would have two about an inch apart and one flier, but never in the same order. All groups were about the same shape ( 2 close together and one high and left).

There is more corrosion in the barrel. Pictures are just typical of what's there. It exists from throat to muzzle, but chamber is clean.

Is this what is to be expected. I've seen some horrid looking barrels that shot well and some that didn't look too bad that shot terrible. Kinda new to interpreting what I see with the bore scope.

As always, thanks for your help!
Yea Rem. 742 30-06 Shot the same way !! Good Luck

When my son told me that he chose Minot, ND as his duty station instead of Barksdale AFB, which is only a 4 or 5 hour drive from home I asked him WHY? Why would you pick Minot?? He said, all of my friends are going to Minot. I said - GET NEW FRIENDS! 😁 We're 5 pages into this post, I'm replying to post #1

Several good ideas have been mentioned here- re- crowning the muzzle can do wonders. Also, instead of just cleaning, perhaps a good work out with JB Paste to really scrub the grooves in the rifling. Then, a real thorough copper removal routine with one of the good copper solvents. There could be some play in the barrel attachment as well. I have a 742 that is getting a new barrel soon, and even then I don't expect a whole lot from it.

Mike6158: My daughter has been stationed at Minot for 3 years and she likes it there. She hosts Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners for the lonely airmen (and women). She has plenty of friends! If your son is home sick, I can share her info with you to pass along to your boy. Hint: She is a SMSgt. and treats her troops well.

A friend of mine has a 50+ year old Browning BAR 30-06 that shoots consistent 1/2" groups at 100 yards with factory Remington core locks. Very manageable recoil to boot. I was amazed how well it shoots for a semi-auto.
I am not sure how old that BAR is, but my friends also shoots the Remington core locks in it.

Someone on here a few years back said shoot rem 180 core locks out of it and if it won't shoot that it won't shoot anything. I bought 2 boxes of them and found them to shoot mod (minute of deer) so I started taking it with me just in-case the dog hunter's ran deer around me all morning.I tagged out the first time they dropped tailgate in my lap.good luck don't sell it