Whats My Borescope Telling Me

had a 300 RUM Remington w/leupold high end scope and it never grouped under 3 inches at 100 yards brand new out of the box. As far as I'm concerned I agree with some that have a general opinion that if ya bought a Remington there was a 50% chance you'd get a shooter or not.

Maybe someone has one that does better but those 742's and 7400 have been in my experience have been as a previous post stated "pie plate accurate" or I would even give them dessert plate.

It has a purpose and it is send a second round right now. Usually meaning deer woods shooting. When I lived in the mountains a tight group with the deer rifle was just something cool to talk about because if a deer was 100yards away you would never see it. I remember going one season where my longest shot was with a bow at 35yrds, the other three during MZ and rifle season were 20yards to self defense range. Haha

Also my 270 barrel looks like way worse than that after 49 years of hunting and shooting. Still shoot a site better than 3".

As suggested by others, clean the barrel down to bare metal and try two or three other brands of ammo. If that doesn't work, there are only two choices that I can think of; Either rebarrel the rifle or trade it in on a "good" bolt action. Just as an aside, it never hurts to take a bore scope when you are going to buy a rifle.
I would also suggest that you bring along a set of headspace gauges appropriate for the cartridges you are considering. It's something that I always check before purchasing any rifle, given the opportunity to do so. Of course I check headspace after the purchase, if I was unable to do so prior to buying the rifle.

I would also suggest that you bring along a set of headspace gauges appropriate for the cartridges you are considering. It's something that I always check before purchasing any rifle, given the opportunity to do so. Of course I check headspace after the purchase, if I was unable to do so prior to buying the rifle.
Great idea!

had a 300 RUM Remington w/leupold high end scope and it never grouped under 3 inches at 100 yards brand new out of the box. As far as I'm concerned I agree with some that have a general opinion that if ya bought a Remington there was a 50% chance you'd get a shooter or not.
Other than the semi-auto and pumps, I've usually been able to get 1.5 MOA. Might not like where I find it (250-300 fps below max), but I could usually get there. If not, it's down the road, either to someone who knows what they're getting, or to a good smith for some serious work.

742's? You all do know that Remington had a recall, or I should say not an official recall on 740 and 742 series of rifles back in the late 80's or early 90's.

You sent the rifle in, and you got a voucher for x amount of $ towards a new Remington rifle.

The problem was the bolts could jump the rails and the gun wouldn't function. You could have a rifle and never have a problem with it and then like magic.... you have a problem with it.

When I worked at a gunshop back in that time frame we would no longer take any 740's and 742's in used/on trade etc... because if there was an issue we got stuck with it. I sold my boss at my regular job a 742 and bingo... issues.

Our gunsmith at the time would work on it one time with no guarantee/warranty he could fix it. After that he wouldn't touch it.

Had a 742 four decades ago, with handloads best i could do was about 2" ES for 3 shot groups at 100 yards. Inconsistent forearm torque, shotgun trigger & loose working tolerances aren't conducive to small groups. This is a gun intended to spray lots of lead quickly in the direction of whitetails at eastern woods hunting distances, nothing more. Skip the scope, put a red dot on it.

Remington 742.....Oklahoma machine gun. 😂

Your bore scope says the barrel has carbon and copper with some pitting thrown in......Captain Obvious out!

I checked the crown before I shot the rifle. It has that 90s vintage recessed target type crown. It looked excellent as far as I could tell.

Rifle has likely less than 100 rounds through it. Ammo looks old and he still has several boxes. Not certain he's willing to invest in it as he only rifle hunts part of a week per year typically.

Great suggestions from all. Thanks.

90s vintage? Anyway thanks for waiting halfway through the thread to say it has basically been sitting around for years and hardly shot Anyway, why have a borescope if you don't know what you are looking at. So, there goes a waste of time of people interpreting a barrel that has only not been maintained. I think ButterBean was the first to reply and there is your answer. One other member sold a lot of these rifles and they kill deer. The rest of this thread can be set on fire

Not familiar with this model, but have a BAR, the BAR was more inaccurate as the length of the round approached the recommended COAL of the 300 win Mag. As others have said try different ammo, newer perhaps.

All of the above! I have know three different fellas that have had the semi-auto Remington's and have never seen one that was a shooter. They just spit out lead fast, not accurate. Its a good deep woods gun where shots never get past 75 yards and you need quick follow up shots but that's about it! It does look like it cold use a little cleaning though, maybe you could get a little better accuracy out of it but I would not waste a lot of time chasing MOA results because your not going to get them.
Truer words were never spoken! I have a fry that has 3 semi's. 2 308's and an 06, I reload for him and those loads give me fits when I can't get anything that shoots below 2 1/2" at 100 yards. I do know one thing about loading for his guns is that you can't load anywhere's near a max load for his! Compared to what you load for a bolt rifle these must be loaded to a slower speed, that's actually when I got to the groups of what I got. But you couldn't give me any of them. When shooting they ruin your brass and in my opinion are not on my bucket list to own.

Need to de-copper it really well, oil, put in safe/closet and get a bolt !!!

Seriously, had a friend with one in 270 and tried everything to get it to 1" moa shooter; nada!! 2"+ was about as good as we got!