Bolt won't close on new Rem 700 300 RUM.....

Pull the bolt and put a case into the bolt face under the extractor, if it chambers it's the extractor and will need replaced, happens all the time on new Rems.

I had the extractor bend on the first couple factory rounds in a Remington 300 rum, Made it very hard to close the bolt when chambering a round, replaced the extractor and the problem was solved

OK..I figured out the issue, but not sure how to fix it. If I place the case in the bolt under the extractor, then the round will chamber. I don't understand how the extractor works, but apparently I cant get past that point when trying
rem.jpg
to close the bolt. I can even see dents on the case from the extractor from me trying to jam the bolt close. Thanks bigngreen for the tip!

Remington 700 300 Ultra Mag, (American wilderness rifle) brand new with factory ammo.

I had a muzzle break installed and it bedded. I went to shoot it today and the bolt will go forward, but whet cocked down, it stops and will not complete the closer all the way.

I removed scope and base, and also removed from stock, and it still wont close.

Any ideas? I see nothing in chamber.
Simple questions, "Did the bolt close before you sent the rifle to be bedded? Did you have any other work done besides muzzle break and bedding done? How about some trigger work, did the trigger get worked on? Was the barrel removed to install the muzzle break? If the bolt closed with a casing in the chamber before the work and now it doesn't then something happened while it was worked on.

You need the extractor changed or fixed. AS you close or lock the bolt and the round is chambered the ejector will slip over top into the grove of the brass.

In your case its not doing it. It needs to be fixed or replaced.

It's supposed to slightly spring back. This is not from anything anyone did other than poor product from the source. I've had them work fine for a couple test firings on new barrels then send the rifle to the customer only to get called back their gun won't chamber or it'll stop extracting. Every source for extractors is continually on back order because of this issue. You'll unfortunately have to pay to fix your new gun right out of the box, you might as well have the gunsmith check and fix your primary extraction timing as well because that'll be next.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.