Bolt won't close on new Rem 700 300 RUM.....

It's not easy or fun to replace the riveted extractors, not going to get it done without a massive amount of luck without the tools. If you try it yourself buy two extractors and 5 rivets.
I do them a lot and it's not a 2 min job or an easy drop in job.

Anyone willing to fix this for me, I also want the bolt surfaces trued? I pay.
Squaring the bolt will put you out of spec in your headspacing so you don't want to start down that road unless you want to start least set the barrel back a couple threads and set the chamber back to correct headspace.

Which brings up the question.... Is it possible the smith was headspacing the barrel without realizing he was headspacing off of the extractor and not the bolt face? Possible I guess. Otherwise, you would think that the smith would have discovered the extractor problem and offered to replace it for you. I would get the rifle checked out and not replace the extractor yourself.

Edit sorry. Just realized he didn't change the action threading. He probably just torqued the barrel back down...

Which brings up the question.... Is it possible the smith was headspacing the barrel without realizing he was headspacing off of the extractor and not the bolt face? Possible I guess. Otherwise, you would think that the smith would have discovered the extractor problem and offered to replace it for you. I would get the rifle checked out and not replace the extractor yourself.

Edit sorry. Just realized he didn't change the action threading. He probably just torqued the barrel back down...
The headspace guage isn't the same as a case, I've never found an issue while chambering, always after when checking the feed cycle and sometimes when the guy gets it back and the brass is a touch different.

NO ONE in their right mind removes a barrel to install a brake these days! cohunt seems to have 'invented' the "if the barrel was removed to thread barrel", and it has followed through this entire thread without any evidence or statement by the OP that the barrel was removed and then re-installed. Total speculation, like 2 pages of this thread, speculation, guessing without having eyes on. Get a grip guys! Rem threads are 1 1/16th with 16 threads per inch. a 1/16th of an inch is .0625". 1/8th of that , meaning 1/8th turn of the barrel is .0078 thousands of an inch. You could NOT over torque a barrel by 1/16th of a turn! It is damned hard to change the head space just by using different torque when installing. I repeat, get a grip, guys! This used to be a site where real information was exchanged.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts