Bolt won't close on bergara with factory ammo

I do not have a Bergara, but a few months back bought a new Rem 700 5R in 6.5 CM and while breaking in the barrel I had problems with Nosler 140 BT also. I had 4-5 boxes in 2-3 of the boxes NONE of the rounds would allow bolt closure. The other boxes...everything was fine. The rifle shot various brands fine, i.e. Hornady, Winchester, Federal, etc. with no problems. I emailed Nosler about it and was totally ignored.
I'm out shooting right now, and the bolt wont close. Brand new bergara b-14 6.5 creedmoor, never fired. Trying factory Nosler 120 gr ballistic tips. Tried to chamber one, bolt wont close, tried another and another. Very tight. Forced it on one and drag marks on bullet. Not firing it because from what I'm seeing it looks to be jammed .250" When I get home I'll start taking measurements to see what's going on, but just from my description and the picture below what say you?
One chambered, one not.View attachment 123871
Have a Bergara HMR 14, 6,5 Creedmoor. Chambers factory and reloaded ammo no problem. Chambers but will not fire small rifle primers in Lapua brass

Have a Bergara HMR 14, 6,5 Creedmoor. Chambers factory and reloaded ammo no problem. Chambers but will not fire small rifle primers in Lapua brass
Interesting - I was looking at SR primers in Petersen brass for my next batch. Anyone here have experience with Petersen SRP? also in 6.5CM

Going back to original post.

Simple quick tip

Take each loaded round and insert into muzzle end of barrel. This will "roughly" show you what the throat/freebore is for this rifle. This is nothing exact to rely on, only just give you an idea. You should easily see the difference between the rounds pictured.

HUH???

A brand new reamer would cut the LARGEST chamber. When a reamer wears out it gets SMALLER and makes a smaller chamber.
I can't agree with this while heartedly......
A nice sharp reamer should slice thru the metal cleanly....without distortion to original specs....once the reamer gets gulled it will still cut but not necessarily clean cuts....could easily take or leave metal...once it is worn out it could physically tear metal microscopically and not be seen.....
A sharp knife even a razor will cut you cleanly...a jagged edge will still cut...just hurts worse.....at least rhe sharp on goes thru faster before you realize it.........:eek:

Simple quick tip

Take each loaded round and insert into muzzle end of barrel. This will "roughly" show you what the throat/freebore is for this rifle. This is nothing exact to rely on, only just give you an idea. You should easily see the difference between the rounds pictured.
Um......what? Op, please don't do this.

Last edited:

Simple quick tip

The OP problem was headspace from the factory. They are fixing it...well as soon as wife ever gets around to returning it that is...its her gun

09a5d6d39ae08cd256e14e9088e512ff_kindlephoto-2462805.jpg
I was not trying to fix the problem. If looking at attached picture and bullet #1 chambers easily I know throat is "at least" as long as from end of case and where ogive contacts barrel. This is only a "rough" idea , not accurate and not to be relied on. It gives a ballpark idea of what the throat length is.

View attachment 171245 I was not trying to fix the problem. If looking at attached picture and bullet #1 chambers easily I know throat is "at least" as long as from end of case and where ogive contacts barrel. This is only a "rough" idea , not accurate and not to be relied on. It gives a ballpark idea of what the throat length is.
Um.... just chambering the thing will tell you if it fits or not.

View attachment 171245 I was not trying to fix the problem. If looking at attached picture and bullet #1 chambers easily I know throat is "at least" as long as from end of case and where ogive contacts barrel. This is only a "rough" idea , not accurate and not to be relied on. It gives a ballpark idea of what the throat length is.

All that's really going to tell you is how deep the crown is cut and how worn your barrel is.

I'm out shooting right now, and the bolt wont close. Brand new bergara b-14 6.5 creedmoor, never fired. Trying factory Nosler 120 gr ballistic tips. Tried to chamber one, bolt wont close, tried another and another. Very tight. Forced it on one and drag marks on bullet. Not firing it because from what I'm seeing it looks to be jammed .250" When I get home I'll start taking measurements to see what's going on, but just from my description and the picture below what say you?
One chambered, one not.View attachment 123871
Birdie anymore updates?