Problem closing the bolt on my new Remington 700 5R in .300 Win Mag...

The first thing I would suggest is. Take the bolt out of the rifle, clean the recess in the bolt, And make sure the ejector pin is sliding into the bolt flush with the bolt face. Then see if you can hook the rim on the case with the extractor and get the case to fit solid to the bolt face and line up with the bolt. If it does, Put the bolt in the rifle and through the ejection port hook the case on the extractor and carefully guide the shell into the chamber and try to close the bolt to battery. If the rifle does close then it is an extractor problem. If the bolt does not close into battery there is something about the chamber haunting this rifle, May have to have the chamber reamed a little deeper. Good Luck

I just did this this morning and the bolt closed fine so it's obviously that extractor. I contacted Remington yesterday and they sent me an email with a service ticket number and a note saying that I should receive an initial response shortly, but I haven't received it yet.

I just received a response from Remington today. They need my info and rifle serial number. Going to take 4-6 weeks...

So here's a quick update. I got the rifle back today. Three days short of six weeks. I opened the box and look at the invoice to find that they changed my trigger - my new TIMNEY trigger that I had installed before I shipped the rifle back. I had sent them an email on the day the rifle shipped expressly telling them that I had already switched the trigger! How the hell does a gunsmith remove a stock, see a GOLD trigger housing and REPLACE it? Damned if I know! The invoice also says they test fired it two times. How they did that without feeling the bolt not wanting to close with a round in the chamber I'll never know.The worst part? THEY DIDN'T DO THE WORK THEY WERE SUPPOSSED TO! All they did was steal my new trigger. They never touched the bolt or the extractor.
I called them and the gunsmith that "did the work" wasn't there so I left both my home and cell number and he's supposed to call me tomorrow. I also emailed Remington voicing my displeasure.
So long story short - after waiting six weeks to get a rifle fixed that never should have left the factory in the condition it was in not only is the rifle no better, but now I've also had my trigger stolen. FML!

That sucks... That's why I have a personal rule about NOT sending guns back to manufacturers. ALWAYS take it to a reputable smith instead. Hopefully you'll get your trigger back, if not, I would raise hell until they reimburse you for it. I would also find a local reputable smith to fix it (probably a cheap simple fix), and send Remington a copy of the bill.

Well, I got the rifle back last Friday and it works awesome - or at least like it should have from the factory. Put my Timney trigger back in, remounted my scope and shot it on Memorial Day. At 50 yards, my first three shots with no adjustment on the scope at all hit the bullseye and could be covered with a quarter. My girlfriend's uncle shot it and put three shots into a similar sized group with two of the rounds going in the same hole. Overall I'm very pleased and look forward to getting her sighted in at 100 yards and reloading some custom rounds for it.

Well, I got the rifle back last Friday and it works awesome - or at least like it should have from the factory. Put my Timney trigger back in, remounted my scope and shot it on Memorial Day. At 50 yards, my first three shots with no adjustment on the scope at all hit the bullseye and could be covered with a quarter. My girlfriend's uncle shot it and put three shots into a similar sized group with two of the rounds going in the same hole. Overall I'm very pleased and look forward to getting her sighted in at 100 yards and reloading some custom rounds for it.

It's great to hear all worked out well!!!!

I also tried Iit with new unprimed Winchester brass and had the same thing happen. The rounds all slide right out of the chamber when I lift the muzzle of the barrel.

Didn't read all posts, but that extractor is NOT right, it should be inside the collar of the bolt.
Take the rifle back to where you purchased it and show them the problem, it needs fixing.

Cheers.
gun)

Didn't read all posts, but that extractor is NOT right, it should be inside the collar of the bolt.
Take the rifle back to where you purchased it and show them the problem, it needs fixing.

Cheers.
gun)

Read two posts above yours. LOL!

I had the exact same problem. Sent it to dallas for repair and they said they polished the chamber and it is fixed, sometimes it is difficult to close the bolt. It is now the most accurate rifle I have owned. If I showed you a target you wouldn't believe it.

Hi guys ! I just did a search on this exact problem and found this thread.
I purchased a new Rem 700 5R in 300 Win Mag 8 weeks ago and after setting up the Nightforce scope I went to the range to run the barrel in with some Federal factory ammo only to find the bolt wouldn't close on the round. Inspection found that the extractor was a long way out of position and the bolt face ring was deformed and bulged where the extractor retaining rivet was fitted. There was also a large drop of silver solder on the inside of the bolt head that had run behind the extractor causing it to protrude inwards.
The dealer sent it back to the Australian distributor and they sent it to their gunsmiths to fix !! They have had it for 7 weeks now and after talking directly to the gunsmith shop they use, I find out that this is a common problem with the Rem 300 Win Mags.
All I can say is that I wish I had done this search before I paid for it !!!!!:rolleyes:

Cheers
OLDMAN67
Australia

Hi guys ! I just did a search on this exact problem and found this thread.
I purchased a new Rem 700 5R in 300 Win Mag 8 weeks ago and after setting up the Nightforce scope I went to the range to run the barrel in with some Federal factory ammo only to find the bolt wouldn't close on the round. Inspection found that the extractor was a long way out of position and the bolt face ring was deformed and bulged where the extractor retaining rivet was fitted. There was also a large drop of silver solder on the inside of the bolt head that had run behind the extractor causing it to protrude inwards.
The dealer sent it back to the Australian distributor and they sent it to their gunsmiths to fix !! They have had it for 7 weeks now and after talking directly to the gunsmith shop they use, I find out that this is a common problem with the Rem 300 Win Mags.
All I can say is that I wish I had done this search before I paid for it !!!!!:rolleyes:

Cheers
OLDMAN67
Australia

That sucks that it takes so long over there to fix something that shouldn't ever leave the factory in that condition. I was told four to six weeks and received it back the sixth week. However, as you can see above they didn't fix the problem and I had to send it out AGAIN and had it back in one week. I'm really liking mine and the Fat Bastard II Brake makes it a dream to shoot!

I'm glad to hear that you're happy with it now that you've got it sorted out. I can't begin to describe how disappointed I was with mine. The fact it was allowed to leave the factory with this defect is appalling quality control from Remington.
Here's the surprising thing !!!!
The dealer I purchased it from was pretty ****ed off and offered to exchange it then and there for another new one he had in stock.
We opened up the box and surprise, surprise! It had the same dam fault ! Unbelievable !!!!
I just hope when I do get mine back that it shoots as good as most people say they do.

I'm glad to hear that you're happy with it now that you've got it sorted out. I can't begin to describe how disappointed I was with mine. The fact it was allowed to leave the factory with this defect is appalling quality control from Remington.
Here's the surprising thing !!!!
The dealer I purchased it from was pretty ****ed off and offered to exchange it then and there for another new one he had in stock.
We opened up the box and surprise, surprise! It had the same dam fault ! Unbelievable !!!!
I just hope when I do get mine back that it shoots as good as most people say they do.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.