Problem closing the bolt on my new Remington 700 5R in .300 Win Mag...

There are longitudinal scratches and nicks on the case heads.

20150314_134046_zpsvhrgeeqc.jpg

Those scratches are caused when cycling the rounds from the magazine lips during feeding and are common. I agree that it appears extractor is not seated properly and likely needs to be replaced. If removed, they should not be re-installed.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jG-rkGjc_k&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

Last edited:
I posted this on another forum and people seem to think that the extractor is out too far. Is this possible? Unfortunately, it's not an easy fix because the extractor is riveted in place.

This is the problem. The picture you put up shows the slivers from the brass that is being sheared. color the base and rim of a case with a black marker then chamber that case. It should be obvious what is happening.

Those scratches are caused when cycling the rounds from the magazine lips during feeding and are common. I agree that it appears extractor is not seated properly and likely needs to be replaced. If removed, they should not be re-installed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jG-rkGjc_k&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Yeah, the sucky part is that it's riveted in place so I'll have to send it out. Maybe I should just have a mini M-16 extractor installed if I have to ship it out...

Yeah, the sucky part is that it's riveted in place so I'll have to send it out. Maybe I should just have a mini M-16 extractor installed if I have to ship it out...

If you are going to have an M-16 extractor installed, you need to send the barrel with it or you may have another issue to deal with.

If you are going to have an M-16 extractor installed, you need to send the barrel with it or you may have another issue to deal with.

Not with a mini M16. They are a redesigned M16 type extractor that are better for installation on the Rem 700 for a couple reasons 1) They don't have the M16 lug to deal with 2) they require less milling to install. I've had some Mini M16 extractors installed by Karl Kampfeld and they all turned out great.

Here is some info from Dave Kiff himself.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f37/ptg-bolt-question-119789/index2.html

Not with a mini M16. They are a redesigned M16 type extractor that are better for installation on the Rem 700 for a couple reasons 1) They don't have the M16 lug to deal with 2) they require less milling to install. I've had some Mini M16 extractors installed by Karl Kampfeld and they all turned out great.

Here is some info from Dave Kiff himself.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f37/ptg-bolt-question-119789/index2.html

Karl Feldkamp installed some mini M16 extractors for you on magnum cartridges without having your barrels?

The first thing I would suggest is. Take the bolt out of the rifle, clean the recess in the bolt, And make sure the ejector pin is sliding into the bolt flush with the bolt face. Then see if you can hook the rim on the case with the extractor and get the case to fit solid to the bolt face and line up with the bolt. If it does, Put the bolt in the rifle and through the ejection port hook the case on the extractor and carefully guide the shell into the chamber and try to close the bolt to battery. If the rifle does close then it is an extractor problem. If the bolt does not close into battery there is something about the chamber haunting this rifle, May have to have the chamber reamed a little deeper. Good Luck

I see a lot of brass on the bolt face, around the extractor. Is it possible that some brass (or other crap) got under the extractor, preventing it from moving back into the recessed area of the bolt that it is supposed to fit into?

I see a lot of brass on the bolt face, around the extractor. Is it possible that some brass (or other crap) got under the extractor, preventing it from moving back into the recessed area of the bolt that it is supposed to fit into?

Doubtful, because it did it with the very first round I tried to chamber and it's a brand new rifle.

The extractor should not be hooched out like that, it should seat in the groove and only the extractor lip should need compressed when you insert a case.
It's clearly visible in your 2nd photo the extractor is too far out of place!lightbulb

You could write about it for another five more days or ship the entire rifle back to Remington for free and have it repaired at no cost, they'll even pay for the shipping. I'd also check to see if your rifle has the corrected trigger after the recall or is it defective. If it's a trigger that has not been upgraded, don't bother with the Remington trigger and just replace it with a after market one. I went with a Huber, but a Timmy, Shilen, etc. will work better then the factory fix.

The other option is have a gunsmith fix the issue, and the trigger at the same time, but this is of course will be on your dollar, but could/might take less time depending on whom you take it to.

It's clearly visible in your 2nd photo the extractor is too far out of place!lightbulb

You could write about it for another five more days or ship the entire rifle back to Remington for free and have it repaired at no cost, they'll even pay for the shipping. I'd also check to see if your rifle has the corrected trigger after the recall or is it defective. If it's a trigger that has not been upgraded, don't bother with the Remington trigger and just replace it with a after market one. I went with a Huber, but a Timmy, Shilen, etc. will work better then the factory fix.

The other option is have a gunsmith fix the issue, and the trigger at the same time, but this is of course will be on your dollar, but could/might take less time depending on whom you take it to.

I'm going to contact Remington but more than likely I won't have them repair it because they are swamped with trigger replacements. I already replaced the trigger with a Timney the day I got it.

Did the rifle do this with the scope off? Just thinking that the screw might be sticking to far out along with the other issue. Remington took care of a rifle I sent in in about two days, just something that I would check.

Did the rifle do this with the scope off? Just thinking that the screw might be sticking to far out along with the other issue. Remington took care of a rifle I sent in in about two days, just something that I would check.

I didn't, but I DID look inside there with a very bright flashlight and there weren't any screws protruding down inside.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts