Keeping Rem 700 Bolt Closed

I have a Model 700 and was having problems keeping the bolt closed. What I did was buy an old model safety and install it. My rifle is from the 1990s and still had the little slot cut in the bolt but newer rifles might not have this feature.
Your idea of using the rubber band was suggested to me as a solution. I agree, that non locking bolt is a hassle.
Regards

I've not had any issues with the Remington 700. If you replace the firing pin spring with a stronger one such as the one Hollands offers, it really adds some downforce to keep the bolt closed. It also takes out the little uplift slop they have.

I've hunted my entire life (I'll be 57 in July) with Rem 700 rifles and have never had an instance where my bolt came open while hunting.
Not something I think you need to be concerned with.

I have historically hunted with Tikka's and Win70's that lock the bolt closed on safety. I am building my first 700 and am wondering how you guys keep your bolt closed when hunting in thick terrain. The obvious choice was a build that accepts an AICS magazine, and do not cock the bolt until settleed. But I really like a flush-mount floor plate. I guess I could used a thick rubber band, but there has to be a better solution.
Mine stays closed regardless of what gets in the way. I walk into my stand with the gun empty, dry fired. I always keep an empty gun UNCOCKED. Springs never get weak. The force required to lift and cock the bolt keeps it closed.

I've never had the bolt open fully but it has been open enough to come out of battery once or twice but it was when I had the rifle fully over my should and neck carrying crossbody on my back crawling through laurel bushes and once in green briar. In both instances I the shot had been made and I was recovering a deer. Now my 700 has not been lapped or smoothed out in any way, unless you count being cycled thousands of times over 40 years. Krylon and a Timney are the only mods. There does seem to be a enough resistance to stay closed and in general if I am in a situation where its coming to a shot its generally being carried in hand and not on the sling.

I have never had the bolt of a Rem 700 unintentionally open while hunting or dragging deer...and I have been in some rough, brushy places. The only rifle I ever had a problem keeping the bolt handle closed completely on was a Ruger American...the bolt on that thing seemed to always walk slightly up just enough to not allow the rifle to fire. That very thing cost me a shot at a buck one year.

My daughter Cassandra missed a nice buck a couple years ago with REM 700 bolt lift. We snuck up on the buck she got in the Bipod pulled the trigger and all we heard was a loud click, louder then just the firing pins going forward. At the time I thought it was a bad reload anyway Cassandra took off after the buck I picked up the round off the ground where it was ejected looked at the primer and not a mark. I was scratching my head Cassandra was chasing the buck and never got it
Turns out after inviting that we could lift the bolt just enough that when you pulled the trigger the bolt would slam shut but that's it. The problem is Cassandra is left handed and was shooting a right handed gun when talking it off her left shoulder it came open just enough. In the end she got a nicer buck the next day with the same gun!

I've never had a 700 bolt come open unintentionally, but I can see it could happen under the right circumstances. I do find myself unconsciously checking it on occasion.

I've known PH's in Africa who carried their rifle (not 700's) with the safety off and the bolt intentionally raised just enough to be out of battery. That was their safety. Easier to slap down that relatively big bolt handle in a hurry than that tiny little safety lever.

Didn't bug me, but I always keep an eye on everybody's muzzle, not just mine.

I have a Model 700 and was having problems keeping the bolt closed. What I did was buy an old model safety and install it. My rifle is from the 1990s and still had the little slot cut in the bolt but newer rifles might not have this feature.
Your idea of using the rubber band was suggested to me as a solution. I agree, that non locking bolt is a hassle.
Regards
I did the same thing, I don't like not having the bolt locked down, I had to mill the bolt shroud for the safety arm to come up and replaced the original trigger with a shilen. I know accidents can happen but knowing your weapon and strictly following firearm safety minimizes any discharges going in the wrong direction if something did occur. Accidents happen with all guns, not just Remingtons

I have been hunting 50 years with various REM 700's in heavy brush. Stock, aftermarket drivers even double set. Never had a bolt open, never had an accidental discharge. Trying to understand this entire thread?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.