Keeping Rem 700 Bolt Closed

Wonder if timing may be in play on some rifles. Like a lot of posters, 50+ years with 700's and nary an issue. Luck of the draw in my favor for change.

Wonder if timing may be in play on some rifles. Like a lot of posters, 50+ years with 700's and nary an issue. Luck of the draw in my favor for change.
Don't get me wrong I have had very little trouble myself and Remington is a fine system but I have had the same trouble as many have, twice in 42 years of shooting rifles but none the less is still happened

For sure. I think handling practices have a lot to do with it as well. My father witnessed a ND when his (former) hunting partner's rifle (rem700) went off while slung over his shoulder. A folding saw had bumped the safety off and then bumped the trigger.

A lot of it is common sense.

I hunted with a rem 700 - carried locked and loaded for a lot of years, then one day I took my rifle off my shoulder to discover it off safe, with one in the tube!

Then and there i resolved to change my habits, and devised a simple rule. Keep the chamber clear unless the rifle is physically in my hands.

Now I only chamber a round when I'm in direct control of the rifle. Because I don't rely on the safety, it feels like I could, for the most part, get by without one altogether.

My main gripe with the Remington 700 safety is its shape. I like to shoot with my thumb on the tang, and under moderate to heavy recoil the safety impacts the tip of my thumb.

Even safeties that lock the bolt closed can cause problems. This is because the safety only toggles when the bolt is in its fully closed position. If the bolt gets bumped upward, the safety won't work until the operator fully closes the bolt.

Like @cohunt I bump my bolt closed before coming onto the trigger - at least I think I do. I believe a lot of people do these things without even thinking about it - just habit formed through experience.

Last edited:
Yeah buddy....when you get down the in the gnar...and the two inch trees are 8 inches apart and you are on the biggest bull you're ever gonna see...and he's cutting thru it like butter...and your bolt is getting caught on branches...and you're making a ton of noise...but you're still on him...you clamp your hand down over that bolt and you lose the strap and curse the tall rings...you make a mental note what the perfect solution would be...then you get about 75 yards from the beige blonde beast and you stop counting tines at 7...yes a locking bolt on a rifle would be valuable.

Being a righty that shoots long guns lefty, I HATE the Winchester style wing safety. And I hate left handed rifles too lol.
My next rifle is going to left bolt with a right hand safety. The only way I can get it this way is to do away with the bolt lock. I love left hand bolts but have left hand safeties- especially Winchester style!.
Glad someone started this since I had just posted a similar approach and had very little response. Both of my Remingtons are old style with the lock. I haven't ever had any experience with the new style.

I have two Remington 700's. I've never hunted with my PSS 308 made prior to 1990. My 22-250 ADL was made earlier, I believe in the 80's. Now my PSS I can open the bolt with the safety on. The 22-250 ADL locks the bolt close when cocked and the safety on. I've hunted for chucks and yotes with that ADL. But in all honesty I usually carry my rifle in my hands. And if I need to sling it I carry chamber cold, uncocked.

I hunt with a Remington 700 and the bolt has opened on me numerous times one of those time was when a nice 6 point was standing in front of me while walk out sling my gun off my shoulder and when I raised it I seen the bolt open and the buck spooked never did find my round ether on a gravel road

So what Bean is saying...no machinist...but someone REAL HANDY WITH ALL THE RIGHT TOOLS....I'd send it to Bean ( and five hundred dollars to complete it) Right Bean!
Average cost to install 3 position swing safety is $100-$125 plus the cost of the safety on a Mauser '98 or Springfield. . That wouldn't include welding up the notch on a Rem 700 and any re-bluing/refinishing

Last edited:
Recknagel makes 3 position safety for the Remington that has an addition lock on the lever, preventing the safety lever from being moved without depressing the addition lock. The one Larry has in his video is a Gentry, the only other one I know of made for the rem 700. 3 position swing safeties are pretty common on custom Mauser/Springfield/M1917 builds.

Only had it happen once but I lost a shot at would likely have been my best mule deer because the bolt was slightly up and out of battery.........This only had to happen once! When the safety comes off, I'll take the fraction of a second to make sure the bolts down. I much prefer the Model 70's 3 position safety anyway.....

Only had it happen once but I lost a shot at would likely have been my best mule deer because the bolt was slightly up and out of battery.........This only had to happen once! When the safety comes off, I'll take the fraction of a second to make sure the bolts down. I much prefer the Model 70's 3 position safety anyway.....
I've been hunting and carrying rifles for sixty yrs Texas Colorado and Wyoming the best safety for me is the pre war and pre 64 win mod 70 style 98 mauser Buehler and the three position 98 mauser I recenty started hunting with a Curtis Axiom2 position safety with a trigger tech trigger definitely a problem I'm left handed and sling it left but shoot right handed the best solution unless you change the safety to 3 position is too carry the rifle with bolt closed on a empty chamber it takes a little thought and changing your hunting style but at least the bolt wont come open or the rifle will not accidentally get bumped off safety causing a accident

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.