Best deer cart?

DuckHunt

Will be using in the Appalachian Mountains... they still get pretty steep - again this year. Getting older though... 61 now. Not in the best shape but working on that. But, I know I will need help hauling out. Looking for a recommendation on a deer cart. Thank you for sharing your experience.

You don't need a "Cart" as long as you have a good woman. She can carry you into the hunt and then carry your deer out.
I always take Jill hunting with me!

1696552515711.png

Will be using in the Appalachian Mountains... they still get pretty steep - again this year. Getting older though... 61 now. Not in the best shape but working on that. But, I know I will need help hauling out. Looking for a recommendation on a deer cart. Thank you for sharing your experience.
And here I thought "cart" was just gonna be short for "cartridge" haha. Was all prepared to eagerly participate in the same old conversation and shout ".270 Winchester" from the rooftops! 😁

Do you happen to have a strapping young son, grandson, nephew, etc??? More than one is even better…and a wheelbarrow or wagon or pull sled depending on conditions…. I'm 31…when I'm 61, Lord willing I see that day, that's gonna be my plan for a good "deer cart"! 🤣🤣🤣

Using a "Cart" with wheels might be very difficult in the woods. We bought a "Deer Sleigh" which is a slippery plastic sheet that when tying the deer/bear/anything to it makes it easy to pull through just about any type of ground. We used it on many deer in rough woods and hills and it works GREAT! Makes it very easy to pull on dry and even better wet or snow on the ground.

Amazon product ASIN B0CBB2KV18

Using a "Cart" with wheels might be very difficult in the woods. We bought a "Deer Sleigh" which is a slippery plastic sheet that when tying the deer/bear/anything to it makes it easy to pull through just about any type of ground. We used it on many deer in rough woods and hills and it works GREAT! Makes it very easy to pull on dry and even better wet or snow on the ground.

Amazon product ASIN B0CBB2KV18
That's not a bad idea…a boring old tarp has worked to that effect for me very well some years, or child's plastic sled. I don't think I've ever taken a deer when there wasn't snow on the ground, that's relevant information for sure.

Bought my deer sleigh at cabelas back when they had good things.....
Pulled a whitetail about two miles in 20" of snow....very easy....but easier when the quad came and put me on the rack and pulled the sleigh.....about half a mile.....Ithe one I have is a "deer sleigh"..pulled a couple elk down a mountain too....but that was a lot of weight on it and tore it a couple places when I hit limbs sticking up from the ground.....

I remember a neighbor having a Trail Bike like this, but it had rear and front wheel drive. It was a rally odd machine. It would go anywhere, but slow. You could actually cross a stream with it by floating it on the side. That was 55+ years ago.

I certainly depends on the terrain and proximity to the nearest road, but I would submit that the best deer cart is not a cart at all. Debone that thing in the field and pack only the meat and antlers out in your backpack. Yes, it will be heavy, but pulling or dragging anything, unless it's entirely downhill is not going to be easier.

Packed with my smallest pack, full rears.So I had to Santa Claus one but was only about a mileView attachment 499692
I've never packed anything out like this before…I know many folks do and if you're far enough from any road it becomes a necessity. But I must say the thought of it always makes me nervous…big set of antlers on my back and no knowing what kind of overeager trigger-happy morons are out hunting as well…you do hear the odd story…

Also that's a cool looking rifle! What is it?