Best deer scope

ScottC

Hello, new member here. I have a Seekins Havak on the way in 6.5PRC. My next consideration is a good scope and wondering what direction to go? So far, my candidates are Lepold VX-6HD 3-18x50 Boone aand Crocket, Vortex Razor HD LHT 3-15x50. Trying to stay below 2K.

Hello, new member here. I have a Seekins Havak on the way in 6.5PRC. My next consideration is a good scope and wondering what direction to go? So far, my candidates are Lepold VX-6HD 3-18x50 Boone aand Crocket, Vortex Razor HD LHT 3-15x50. Trying to stay below 2K.
Does anyone have another idea I should look at or consider?

Where, and how do you hunt?
If back east or down south, where shots are from 10 to 200 yards max, I would look at a 1-6 or 1-8.
If out west, across canyons where 600-1000 is commonplace, a good 3-15 or 4-20 will serve you well.

I personally don't think a 5-25 is very beneficial for anything bigger than prairie dogs over a 3-15 for big game hunting unless you are shooting a super mag at 1000+.

Where, and how do you hunt?
If back east or down south, where shots are from 10 to 200 yards max, I would look at a 1-6 or 1-8.
If out west, across canyons where 600-1000 is commonplace, a good 3-15 or 4-20 will serve you well.

I personally don't think a 5-25 is very beneficial for anything bigger than prairie dogs over a 3-15 for big game hunting unless you are shooting a super mag at 1000+.
Im in northern Maine and we have forestry clearcuts so a shot at anything from close timber to whatever Im capable of shooting ethically are all possible. I have yet to see what that will be with the new equipment. But some clearcuts up here are longer than I will be capable of.

Do the vx5 or 6. 3-18x. They are same glass.

I have a 5x25 Swaro on my primary whitetail rifle. While you don't need 25x to shoot whitetails at any range it comes in very handy for two things:

1. Shooting tight groups at extended range while working up loads and figuring drops.

2. Sizing up a buck at distance, especially where antler restrictions are involved. I've seen nice-racked bucks that didn't have brow guards and wouldn't, therefore, make the 8 point regulation.

My favorite hunting scope is the Leupold VX5 HD 3-15x44 or 56. Whichever you prefer. I have both and tend to lean towards the 56. I also have two VX6 HD, 3-18x50 and 3-18x44 and as said before they are the same glass as the VX5. For the money I prefer the 5 as I don't dial for wind. I had a SHV and a Z5 and sold them because I find the Leupold glass to be better to my eyes.