Deer Feeder--Best Attractant

geo4061

Corn, corn with apple scent, salt block, protein blocks, pellets, liquids, etc. etc... What have you found to be the best to draw and keep deer in your area?

Corn, corn with apple scent, salt block, protein blocks, pellets, liquids, etc. etc... What have you found to be the best to draw and keep deer in your area?

A lot depends on the area hunting. In the hill country, Apple scented corn is about the best during the fall to spring (sep to Apri)because of the carbohydrates that they need during these times.
in the summer months many switch to Protein pellets to improve antler growth.

With the browse that they have during these months they don't need a lot of carbs.

Salt blocks are prohibited in some states but a few of the feed blocks work pretty good and you just have to try different ones until you find one that works best for your area.

I have not had much luck with pellets or liquids, and mix the scented corn with protein pellets that work in the feeders(Small Pellets) and this helps with Turkeys also.

Some have had good luck with Alfalfa as a supplement by throwing parts of a bale in the area.

Just what works for me

J E CUSTOM

I have access to hundreds of acres of deer hunting property all within 15 mins from my house. And I've noticed that every property the deer have gone after different things. My favourite and most populated property I started with a 60lbs bag of corn, 100lbs of apples, acorn rage, auger beat crush, corn with molasses, salt block, honey corn thing and deer cocaine. Out of everything I tried the only thing the deer devoured, dug looking for more, and came back and back was corn. The acorn rage, and suger beat crush actually rotted. Salt block no activity. Apples did okay, just not as steady results but good. All I use on that property now is corn.

3miles up the road I have another small property and corn doesn't do all so great but the apples seem to do the trick. And the property that I go to on occasion i get best luck with corn again but seems that they aren't all that interested in anything I've tried there

I have a broadcast corn feeder out for them at 1 location and deer visit it almost every afternoon year around. I don't ever put anything out at that spot but straight corn. I also have a camera there and I see some decent bucks on film but not any wall hangers.

I have access to hundreds of acres of deer hunting property all within 15 mins from my house. And I've noticed that every property the deer have gone after different things. My favourite and most populated property I started with a 60lbs bag of corn, 100lbs of apples, acorn rage, auger beat crush, corn with molasses, salt block, honey corn thing and deer cocaine. Out of everything I tried the only thing the deer devoured, dug looking for more, and came back and back was corn. The acorn rage, and suger beat crush actually rotted. Salt block no activity. Apples did okay, just not as steady results but good. All I use on that property now is corn.

3miles up the road I have another small property and corn doesn't do all so great but the apples seem to do the trick. And the property that I go to on occasion i get best luck with corn again but seems that they aren't all that interested in anything I've tried there

Acorn rage feeder fat is the protein that I add to the corn. I tried apples and they didn't know what it was (we have no apples in that part of Texas). I though that because they liked the apple scented corn, that they would like the apples. Believe it or not they love carrots and when I can find some that are near there end I like to treat them to some.

Also we don't want them to become dependent on feed and limit the amount of food we give them.
It is more for the does and there fawns than anything else.

J E CUSTOM

I play around with different concoctions that I make to attract bears. I stumbled upon one that the bears did not care for but the deer went crazy over it. Got some great trail cam pics. Kinda fun,
Thanks, Kirk

My local feed mill makes a mix which is basically"sweet feed" but has a ridiculous amount of anise and molasses. it comes out of bag in clumps. Its like a dinner bell. The coons like it but the deer literally chase them off it or thump them in head with hoof. Funny as hell to watch.

Gene

Catahoula you did not give us the secret formula. I will try sweet feed, apples, carrots, and the secret formula. Thanks! Oh and please post us a pic.

Tried sweet feed, apple corn, salt block, and mineral block. The sweet feed was swept up immediately by coons and opossums. The apple corn was not much if any of an improvement over regular corn. The salt and mineral blocks have not been touched. A neighbor tried a five gallon bucket of pears and they were swept up in one night.

Corn in SO TX. If need a pic of deer corn in a tight pile! Corn prices down 12% this year so hopefully see lower prices at the feed store!! Friend of mine swears by mixing in something called beast feast. Tried other stuff and always back to plain corn.

I use corn, as an attractant. give them a bit regularly. To keep does around. I have lots of apple trees, they are loaded , with apples this year. Start scrapes under the apple trees. with a bit of doe scent. bucks will set up a run of scrapes they will visit . Once you get them started they will come through checking things out. old243

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.