Best deer scope

I keep a Leupold VX 3 2.5 X to 8 X on my Weatherby Ultralight Chambered in 270Win. Deer Rifle. My shots, in the past 10, or 12 years, have been between 90 to 150 yards. I switched out the scope for a Kentucky Deer Hunt , and put a VX 3 4.5X to 14 X on it, but it was not needed or necessary. I could have just left my usual 2.5 to 8 Power. I do wish the scope was a bit Brighter and Sharper at 5;45 pm in West Virginia.

Attachments

• IMG_2528At the range Oct 2021.jpg
    IMG_2528At the range Oct 2021.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 51
  • IMG_4740 Thornbury Day One, 11 Point  Weatherby Ultralight  270 Win.jpg
    IMG_4740 Thornbury Day One, 11 Point Weatherby Ultralight 270 Win.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 63
Hello, new member here. I have a Seekins Havak on the way in 6.5PRC. My next consideration is a good scope and wondering what direction to go? So far, my candidates are Lepold VX-6HD 3-18x50 Boone aand Crocket, Vortex Razor HD LHT 3-15x50. Trying to stay below 2K.
Both of these are great options. Unless you really want the Illumination, the VX-5HD with B&C reticle is fantastic and barely over half the cost. I have the TMOA in the VX-6HD and it is a little more precise and works better with math than the B&C.

I keep a Leupold VX 3 2.5 X to 8 X on my Weatherby Ultralight Chambered in 270Win. Deer Rifle. My shots, in the past 10, or 12 years, have been between 90 to 150 yards. I switched out the scope for a Kentucky Deer Hunt , and put a VX 3 4.5X to 14 X on it, but it was not needed or necessary. I could have just left my usual 2.5 to 8 Power. I do wish the scope was a bit Brighter and Sharper at 5;45 pm in West Virginia.
Try the VX5 and you can see later into legal shooting hours. I have the same 2.5-8x36 on a model seven and love it but if I'm sitting in dark timber I'll grab the VX5 with 56mm.

Both of these are great options. Unless you really want the Illumination, the VX-5HD with B&C reticle is fantastic and barely over half the cost. I have the TMOA in the VX-6HD and it is a little more precise and works better with math than the B&C.
Quintus, I think Im really going to like the illumination for those twilight times. As I look at the busy reticals Im concerned I'll spend too much time counting. But I have never owned one.

It took some practice, but for hunting in timber I tried a scout scope some 4 or 5 years ago. Now it's my go to choice since most critters won't always stand still for me. Takes some getting used to, using both eyes open, but a moving target can be easily and quickly tracked. My current is a Scout 2-7x32mm riflescope by Burris.

I've got a VX3 4.5-14 x50 with a windplex on my 7mm mag and I have had no problems with mule deer. Last year was a 400yd shot, couple years prior a 350 yd shot at dusk. I mean I had a clear view of that buck with about 15 minutes of light left. Really good glass, the CDS dial for hunting 'works' and the price is pretty awesome for what you get. I've got some better Leupold glass, but I'm not getting rid of that one. Eastern whities I think I'd opt for the B&C reticle.

Like you ,I also own, two VX3 4.5 X to 14X . Getting a Custom Turret made for the one with the 30 mm Main tube. Kenton Industries I think. Calibrated for use with a .30 Cal 180 Grn Nosler Partition at 3000 fps, from my 300 Weatherby mag . I also Own an VX3 8.5X to 25 X which is on my 270 Weatherby Mag. I have re adjusted the elevation Turret to work with the 130 Grn Nosler Ballistic tip , at 3300fps.That scope is a Wind Plex and I will use that set up at the Bang Steel Shooting School ( 1200 Yards ) again this year, and the deer hunt in N. Carolina Bean Fileds, where a 500 Yard shot is very possible. That scope is too much scope for whitetail where I usually hunt in W. Virg.

Recent Posts