Best action for a budget minded 338 Norma Mag

If it's length why change the bolt diameter and tenon diameter?

When you measure enough action with the lugs set back and no apparent pressure signs you'll find out!! It's hard to find anyone who will build a Lapua class case on the Rem for reason, Rem doing it is probably a better point for not doing it, they can't even get the simple geometry on a primary extraction cam correct!!!

To make guys happy that like to run over-pressure loads. Again, like has been said for over a decade now, keep pressures "safe" and everything will be fine on a 700.

How many guys loading with a pressure transducer on their barrel?
I can take a load that looks like it's running 70k, heavy bolt lift, ejector marks the whole bit and make one change and the same load will run with normal signs and look fine. So how do you tell a guy he's GTG with no way to know where the line is, why play it you'll be fine if you are careful, why would anyone not want to run the normal margin of safety, a few dollars, to sound big on the internet?
Everyone who does the engineering on this comes up with marginal at best numbers!

From a few years ago but just as relevant today as then.
Since then some ding dong took it too far and it was Kirby's fault because he built it. That is why he will not do it anymore. Not because he doesn't want to work on factory actions. He does work on factory 700 actions but only with chamberings that they were intended for.

Hope that makes more sense.

Steve

Ok so Remington is out of the picture. Can you do a nutless Savage standard shank and be ok? Or is this still only marginal?
I think the only goos way to go is an action that was originally set up for the big dia cartridges. I built my 338 lap imp on a sako 995 that originally chambered in 30-378 Bee. This is a great candidate but I think they are tough to find now. I'm with bigngreen that the best bet money wise is to hunt for a used weatherby action for goos price.

Steve

I think the only goos way to go is an action that was originally set up for the big dia cartridges. I built my 338 lap imp on a sako 995 that originally chambered in 30-378 Bee. This is a great candidate but I think they are tough to find now. I'm with bigngreen that the best bet money wise is to hunt for a used weatherby action for goos price.

Steve
What about a Single shot Savage Target action? Just exhausting all resources.....sorry for all the questions.

I would not do a small shank Savage. Unless you have a target action sitting there it'll cost more money to get one and convert it than a used Weatherby or new Savage 112 Target. It's tough, I'm wanting to build a cheap Lapua to play with till a BAT CT with Cheytac and Lapua bolts shows up.
I'm extremely frugal and love budget builds but those two are the best I can do.

You'd have to use a short action to get a target action the only large shank long action were early RUMs and the new Lapua action which isn't sold separately.

What about a Single shot Savage Target action? Just exhausting all resources.....sorry for all the questions.
Food for thought: I have put 800 rounds thru my Savage. No issues like those described here. In other words, it has not blown up, locked up, or set back the bolt. Using a cartridge that has even MORE powder. And I will do it again, not that that means anything, just saying. Good luck.
Gregg

How many guys loading with a pressure transducer on their barrel?
I can take a load that looks like it's running 70k, heavy bolt lift, ejector marks the whole bit and make one change and the same load will run with normal signs and look fine. So how do you tell a guy he's GTG with no way to know where the line is, why play it you'll be fine if you are careful, why would anyone not want to run the normal margin of safety, a few dollars, to sound big on the internet?
Everyone who does the engineering on this comes up with marginal at best numbers!

It's pretty simple really...if everyone else is getting let's say 3000 fps and you're getting 3300, you may want to back off your load a bit.

..............Food for thought: I have put 800 rounds thru my Savage. No issues like those described here. In other words, it has not blown up, locked up, or set back the bolt. Using a cartridge that has even MORE powder. And I will do it again, not that that means anything, just saying. Good luck......Gregg

I believe you. Mixed experiences are going to occur when we are at the margins of tolerances. I hope your experience holds.

I'd still think twice about it. Fred Moreo at Sharp Shooter Supply is very knowledgeable when it comes to Savages and he's always discouraged the use of the Lapua sized case head in the large shank savage target action. The newer Savage 338 Lapua actions have a different heat treatment which makes them more suitable for the larger case head diameter.

You could find a deal on a used Savage 112 Magnum rifle, sell the factory barrel for a couple bucks to recover some money, then have an aftermarket barrel cut. You'd come in pretty close to your $1000 budget or possibly under if you wait for the right deals.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.