Best action for a budget minded 338 Norma Mag

codyadams

What would you guys consider to be the best action to use for a 338 Norma that isn't a $1000+? My buddy and I are putting one together for him off a Stiller action, but sadly I don't have the cash he does to purchase a custom action, and I want to put a 338 Norma together as well. I'm thinking the best route is a Savage long action Large shank. I have heard of people putting a .585" bolt face in a standard Remington action, but have been advised against it, but also see that Remington is manufacturing a 338 Lapua on what appears to be their standard Remington 700 action, the 700 XCR Tactical and the 700 chassis. Are there other options out there that would be under say $500 for an action? I'm leaning towards a Savage or Remington if its possible, so I can install the barrel myself with the Savage barrel nut or a Remage type set up. any input from people that have built something like this would be great. Thanks in advance.

Jimmy Sloan, the designer of the 338 norma, had built all his own test & development rifles off rem 700s. You'll be safe side of the line. Most builders will shy you away from it however. The case capacity of the norma being 107ish grains is far less than say 300 ultra @ 120 grains. I personally am building my 338 norma improved off a Curtis axiom which will be done in a month or so.....my reasoning is the 750 bolt diameter, 3 locking lugs and 60° bolt lift. I am looking forward to having this rifle built & load development finished prior to elk season this fall.

It's case diameter not capacity that makes it iffy on the Rem.
It's a case head diameter having roughly .052 bolt face coverage, having a higher pressure, higher recoil cartridge sure can magnify this problem. But like I said, a lot of Rigby diameter cartridges(lapua/norma) been done on the 700 action. I haven't heard of one blowing up, not saying it'll never happen. A custom action is the way to go for sure to be safe, but it can be done without it.

If I used a Remington action, I would get a PTG 1 piece bolt, I wouldn't have a smith ream out a magnum bolt face. Would this make any difference
I think if you load reasonably there will not be a problem. Problem comes when someone thinks they can drive it harder. It is possible with enough stupidity to push these big dia cases past the standard 700 action capability. Due to that possibility most smiths are not willing to risk the liability.

If you build it yourself don't sell it.

Steve

It's a case head diameter having roughly .052 bolt face coverage, having a higher pressure, higher recoil cartridge sure can magnify this problem. But like I said, a lot of Rigby diameter cartridges(lapua/norma) been done on the 700 action. I haven't heard of one blowing up, not saying it'll never happen. A custom action is the way to go for sure to be safe, but it can be done without it.
I asked a gun smith many 20+ years ago if he would build me a Lapua on a Remington and all he did was pull out two pictures and throw them in the counter and said "no"! One picture was of one failed rifle, the other was the exit wound of the shooter where the bolt exited the back of his head. So I've seen picture of two failures and that was enough for me. I've also had a Rem experience a major over pressure in an 06 case head size and a part of the bolt nose went through my cheek, with the Lapua the bolt nose is soooo thing it would fail with even a minor issue and just not worth it IMO.

Nothing wrong with building a Norma based case on a Rem 700.

Build it and shoot it responsibly.

How many Allen Mags have been built on Rem 700's? And they are running A LOT of pressure!

Get an action from GrabAgun for a couple hundred bucks and the bolt from PTG, you won't have any problems.

Remington is smarter than anyone on the "WWW" and they do it.

If you run a Stiller like an idiot it can fail just as easily as any other action.

I think if you load reasonably there will not be a problem. Problem comes when someone thinks they can drive it harder. It is possible with enough stupidity to push these big dia cases past the standard 700 action capability. Due to that possibility most smiths are not willing to risk the liability.

If you build it yourself don't sell it.

Steve

Ya, I agree. I plan on a 28-30" tube, and I want to get anything over 2700 fps out of the 300 Bergers. With a 28"+ barrel I don't think that will be a challenge.

But is the general concensous that a large shank Savage is a better/stronger action for a .585" bolt face cartridge than a Remington with a 1 piece PTG bolt?

The Savage 112 Mag Target in 338 Lapua would be an option but I would look hard at a Weatherby MKV, you can get them used on gunbroker for $800 or less.

I agree that a Weatherby action would probably be the best bet, but that may be a little on the high end compared to a Savage unless I could find an action for $350 or less (that is kind of my budget, preferably)

Ya, I agree. I plan on a 28-30" tube, and I want to get anything over 2700 fps out of the 300 Bergers. With a 28"+ barrel I don't think that will be a challenge.

Your choice would be simpler with a 33 Nosler. You should easily get 2600 fps out of 300 gr Bergers. With a 28-30 inch barrel you might get the 2700 you desire.

But is the general concensous that a large shank Savage is a better/stronger action for a .585" bolt face cartridge than a Remington with a 1 piece PTG bolt?
I have a Savage long action , 116, that I had built into a 338-378 Weatherby . It started life as a 30-06. Used the Savage bolt head for the 338 Lapua. I did not use the barrel nut, tho, I had the smith put my Lilja 32in barrel on conventionally. It was 34in, but he didn't listen or didn't care when I told him not to cut the muzzle off, per Lilja. I have run some pretty hot loads thru it. Didn't have a chronograph at that time, so don't know how hot. No issues. I am actually thinking of another build in either 378Wby or 416Wby. Or both ! Forgot, 225gr pills at 3490, and 265gr at 3150.
Gregg

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts