Best Budget Custom Action Currently

They call it controlled round feed, Winchester called the exact same thing a controlled round push feed. I tend to side with Winchester on this one and call it controlled round push feed.

A little off subject but ... just an FYI for anyone considering the Origin (or TL3) from Bighorn. Be aware the Bighorn Origin/TL3 are true Controlled Round Feed/Controlled Round Extract ... if used with the proper magazine setup.

This is my TL3 with was certainly a Push Feed /Controlled Extract with stock AICS magazines. It is important to understand the AICS magazine design is based upon a .308 cartridge and NOT any other cartridge dimensions. Therefore the shoulder can be in the wrong place related to the end of the feedlips as seen in the picture comparing magazines. In this case, this barrel is chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor.
Top is ARC (in back) compared to AICS (front).
Bottom is AICS roughed in for cartridge
AICS stock vs modified.JPG

Also pictured is a 6.5 Creedmoor in a stock .308 AICS magazine. Note the Feed lips do not allow for proper feeding which is accomplished by the lower cartridge relation to the upper cartridge. In the stock magazine the upper cartridge is being pushed up by the neck which does not allow enough height to get the case head under the claw in the bolt face for Controlled Round Feeding. I have video of this is necessary.

Factory .308 AICS using 6.5 Creedmoor shoulder length cartridge.JPG

Once the magazine is properly fitted for the desired cartridge, in this case a 6.5 Creedmoor, the upper cartridge to be fed into the chamber is now fed into the bolt face by the body diameter which gives enough height to get the cartridge to pop up into the bolt head and be Controlled by the claw. In the picture below is a American Rifle Company aics pattern magazine with shorter lips. Coincidentally ARC makes CRF actions...
AICS fitted for 6.5 Creedmoor shoulder length cartridge.JPG

Video of this in action with a fitted magazine.

So if anyone is considering a Bighorn do not shy away. This is an excellent action with great features if the gunsmith putting it together understand how CRF works. Most do not.

A little off subject but ... just an FYI for anyone considering the Origin (or TL3) from Bighorn. Be aware the Bighorn Origin/TL3 are true Controlled Round Feed/Controlled Round Extract ... if used with the proper magazine setup.

This is my TL3 with was certainly a Push Feed /Controlled Extract with stock AICS magazines. It is important to understand the AICS magazine design is based upon a .308 cartridge and NOT any other cartridge dimensions. Therefore the shoulder can be in the wrong place related to the end of the feedlips as seen in the picture comparing magazines. In this case, this barrel is chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor.
Top is ARC (in back) compared to AICS (front).
Bottom is AICS roughed in for cartridge
View attachment 136848
Also pictured is a 6.5 Creedmoor in a stock .308 AICS magazine. Note the Feed lips do not allow for proper feeding which is accomplished by the lower cartridge relation to the upper cartridge. In the stock magazine the upper cartridge is being pushed up by the neck which does not allow enough height to get the case head under the claw in the bolt face for Controlled Round Feeding. I have video of this is necessary.

View attachment 136849

Once the magazine is properly fitted for the desired cartridge, in this case a 6.5 Creedmoor, the upper cartridge to be fed into the chamber is now fed into the bolt face by the body diameter which gives enough height to get the cartridge to pop up into the bolt head and be Controlled by the claw. In the picture below is a American Rifle Company aics pattern magazine with shorter lips. Coincidentally ARC makes CRF actions...
View attachment 136850

Video of this in action with a fitted magazine.

So if anyone is considering a Bighorn do not shy away. This is an excellent action with great features if the gunsmith putting it together understand how CRF works. Most do not.

So how does the Origin work with a standard internal mag box?

So how does the Origin work with a standard internal mag box?
Yes it does, standard rem 700 short or long action box. Doesn't accept wyatt's aftermarket boxes. I was under the impression that it was dbm only, but it does run from a bdl with oem rem mag boxes.

There are some actions out there that are/were using firing pin springs that were too light and they had problems with light primer hits. The light springs are used to keep the bolt lift effort lower when using a shorter bolt throw.

The Nucleus action originally shipped with a 16# spring and had severe reliability issues. Then a 19# spring was offered as a replacement, but still didn't fix the issue 100%. Now there's a 22# spring that's supposed to fix all the issues, but increases the bolt lift significantly.

My Nucleus action shipped with a 16# spring and I swapped it out for a 19# before even throwing a barrel on there and I haven't had any issues with light strikes and the bolt lift is very smooth and light.

Still no reply from Biggreen hay!!!

It would likely be the same response I gave. The actions he referenced suffer from improper engagement angles on the cocking cams and that's what gives them the heavy bolt lift. Instead of fixing the poor designs the manufacturers just go with lighter springs so that you feel like the action cocks smoother. You can recut the engagements and clean up the bolt lift, or just put a lighter spring in there and hide the problem.

I'm very happy with my 2 Origins. Customer service and communication were top notch. From the snipershide thread they're shipping orders within a few weeks. I have one 6.5 creedmoor for hitting steel at the range and one in 6.5 PRC with an EH6 and rock creek #2 for hunting. Both running savage prefits (one criterion, one PVA). Had fun assembling it and they shoot great. I had the PRC opened up at MHSA for the wyatt's and it feeds well with the box and wyatt's 6.5 prc follower. Very smooth overall. You can get them to bind but you have to apply a decent amount of off axis pressure all the way back. Once I got the hang of it they're smooth as butter and great for the price. I'm sure other actions are great too, but I couldn't justify spending 50%+ more on a different action. Dont see much reason to spend more than your budget on an action these days.

Lost track of the thread but as yorke-1 said, poor design is just that and the easy cheap way to make it feel decent is to drop spring weight, most guys out there simply do not know what a custom action should feel and run like, only a few custom action makers even know what the relationship the geometry in an actions have, many are just machinist and really just hit a design spec and it happens to look cool and go bang so it sells . I was expecting a LOT more from Bighorn from all they hype!! You can save money and just buy a Rem 700 action, at least it'll have a real spring and the geometry is actually no worse if not better, get a while other bolt for $150 and swap even faster.

Looking at doing a custom in 6.5x47L and would like to go full custom, but would like to keep the action cost at $1K or less. Also, for ease, would like to stay with an action, in the Rem 700 footprint.

Who makes the best one, in that range, and who has the best prices?
we (straight jacket armory) have barreled Big horn Origins for 1525.00using Proof stainless barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.