Best Action for Custom Builds

Nope. It's just nice having different options.

If it's such a big advantage then everyone would do it.
Almost every major 700 clone manufacturer does do it, with the exception of a couple.

The only reason most factory actions don't do it, is because it's faster to mass produce completely cylindrical actions then add the machined lug, than it is to cnc the whole action from the beginning.

Cost + Efficiency = money

Wrong...MOST don't do it. A couple do and they charge for it compared to other actions.

Custom Actions

If you want to pay extra for an integral lug then do it but it won't make for a better rifle...except in your mind. :rolleyes:
Never said it would make a better rifle, only said it would make it easier for those wanting switch-barrel setups.

I also said that if the factory actions were FULLY CNC MACHINED they would be better than the cast steel half-way trued-up actions that almost all major factory rifle rifle manufacturers produce would be much better rifles.

But, you're right...I don't know jack crap. I just pretend like I do...

:rolleyes:

Nope. It's just nice having different options.

Then what is the reason you wouldn't buy anything with an integral lug, ever?

If it's such a big advantage then everyone would do it.

I'm not sure how that is a convincing analogy or how to define "big". There are a lot of advantages that don't get used by everyone. The manufacturing of an action without an integral lug or rail is easier. Same thing goes for a bolt handle.

I also said that if the factory actions were FULLY CNC MACHINED they would be better than the cast steel half-way trued-up actions that almost all major factory rifle rifle manufacturers produce would be much better rifles.

Do almost all major factory actions really start out from castings? shows how much I pay attention... Obviously makes sense from a cost standpoint, I just never thought they were that cheap. On the job I'm just so used to getting certified material for high-tolerance machined parts that I really cannot imagine starting something like a rifle action out from a crappy casting.

In my mind that really adds to the justification for going full custom unless you start from a factory action that you know was not cast.

Do almost all major factory actions really start out from castings? shows how much I pay attention... Obviously makes sense from a cost standpoint, I just never thought they were that cheap. On the job I'm just so used to getting certified material for high-tolerance machined parts that I really cannot imagine starting something like a rifle action out from a crappy casting.

In my mind that really adds to the justification for going full custom unless you start from a factory action that you know was not cast.
My smith had a buddy who used to work for Browning many years ago. He once told him that it costs Browning $38.00 to manufacture a complete A-Bolt barreled action, overseas in Japan. Then once they get here they smooth them out, engrave them, whatever, then assemble them here and sell them for $500-600.

I don't know how true this is, but my smith has never lied to me before, and everything he's ever told me was 100% true, and he has LOTS of friends high-up in every company, so I don't see this one being a false statement.

I still like the A-Bolt II rifles, and am having a custom built off of one right now. They are excellent rifles, regardless of how inexpensive the revievers might be.

I'm sure that probably is about the same cost for all the major manufacturers. Remingtons might cost a bit more, as they are still manufactured here in the USA.

I won't say all, but I would venture to say majority of factory actions are cast steel.

I do know that Steyr barrels are hand hammer-forged, and are amongst the BEST factory barrels I've ever shot and looked down.

I used to sell the mess out of the Steyr SBS rifles back when I worked at the outdoors store. I still wouldn't mind having an SBS in 7mm RemMag.

For hunting rifles I am kind of partial to Stillers Tac series actions. I have just had good luck with them.

I have always considered the integral recoil lug concept to be superior to the sandwiched lug arraignment. Like the Surgeon actions. Less moving parts. Do you have any reasoning why you think otherwise. BTW most of the Bats I have ever built on had an integral lug. They all have bolted on the bottom of the actions like this. I know they have integral lugs but the bigger ones are like this.

Then what is the reason you wouldn't buy anything with an integral lug, ever?

I'm not sure how that is a convincing analogy or how to define "big". There are a lot of advantages that don't get used by everyone. The manufacturing of an action without an integral lug or rail is easier. Same thing goes for a bolt handle.

Price. They don't do anything better, especially for the price difference.

I couldn't edit my post so I fixed it here. Sorry for the confusion.

For hunting rifles I am kind of partial to Stillers Tac series actions. I have just had good luck with them.

I have always considered the integral recoil lug concept to be superior to the sandwiched lug arraignment. Like the Surgeon actions. Less moving parts. Do you have any reasoning why you think otherwise.

BTW most of the Bats I have ever built on do not have integral lugs. They all have bolted on the bottom of the actions like this. I know they have integral lugs but the bigger ones are like this.

Price. They don't do anything better, especially for the price difference.

A Borden action, short or long, is $1160 plus an additional $80 if you want a welded bolt handle.

A BAT short action is $1150 and a long action is $1225. They have welded bolt handles.

I think once you're in a custom action the small difference in price from one action to the next is insignificant. Especially when you factor in the total cost you're going to spend on the entire rifle. Get what you personally like. I also think that the style of lug is also just preference on a custom action. I think the style of lug is interesting discussion, but all of the critical features/interfaces must be machined properly and to a tight enough tolerance. As long as the machining tolerances are correct on the entire action, it is going to perform. I really would not hesitate to build a custom rifle on any of the custom actions that have been mentioned.

A Borden action, short or long, is $1160 plus an additional $80 if you want a welded bolt handle.

A BAT short action is $1150 and a long action is $1225. They have welded bolt handles.

$1095 for a Borden but can be had for cheaper.

Under $1000 for a Stiller.

The price difference between a Stiller and a BAT or Surgeon can buy a nice barrel for the build.

It's all personal preference and when something is a few hundred cheaper and will do the job just as well then that's what I will choose.

Nothing "wrong" with any of them.

$1095 for a Borden but can be had for cheaper.
They are $1095 without a recoil lug. A recoil lug is $65.

Under $1000 for a Stiller.
Yes but your first recommendation was a Borden.

The price difference between a Stiller and a BAT or Surgeon can buy a nice barrel for the build.
No ned to throw Surgeon in there, you can't buy them for any price.

It's all personal preference and when something is a few hundred cheaper and will do the job just as well then that's what I will choose.

Nothing "wrong" with any of them.

I agree with the personal preference part. I think the extraction/ejection part of the BAT is worth a lot.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.