Best action for a budget minded 338 Norma Mag

Like I said, you seem to be over thinking this....

Happy New Years!
Happy New Year bud.

At this point it's almost foolish for me to keep holding onto any amount of hope, but I really and truly hope 2018 will be better than the last several years have been over here on my end.

If you want one of the bigger 338's on a 700 action build an Edge... And like what many of the people in the know stated you won't get any cheaper then using the Wetherby mark v action for a lapua size case... I had 2 Edges built in Savages lt actions... One was a single shot target action the other a repeater... For me the breaking point was the trigger systems available for the savages versa whats available for the Remington actions.. I tried 3-4 aftermarket triggers and just couldn't find any I liked or that compared to the better triggers available for the remington actions... At least for me. Playing with many 30-378 over the years the only problem I have ever seen with them was a broken extractor... and this one was operator error...never tried any aftermarket triggers on one but a little polishing and a loupe cut off the spring and the trigger was a great smooth hunting type trigger...As time goes on I just don't think that Budget and long range shooting goes together. Can it get you where you want to be... Yes... but in the end you can always get about the same amount of money more out of a custom action build then you could a semi-custom build on a regular action.. I think I would save the extra $600 and buy a Custom Action ..

The bottom line is using a 700 for a .588 cartridge is flirting with disaster. You are eroding the safety factor built into most action/bolt head configurations. In the end it is your hand, eye, or life so do what you want but you have been warned. Just because some will build it does not mean it is ok. The larger .588 head applies far more thrust to the lug abutment than a .532. I would save for a custom or use a Savage Lapua action.

The bottom line is using a 700 for a .588 cartridge is flirting with disaster. You are eroding the safety factor built into most action/bolt head configurations. In the end it is your hand, eye, or life so do what you want but you have been warned. Just because some will build it does not mean it is ok. The larger .588 head applies far more thrust to the lug abutment than a .532. I would save for a custom or use a Savage Lapua action.

Not kicking up drama here but why does Remington build on them? That's just asking for a law suit for a multi million dollar corporation. I should buy a Remington XCR or MLR hope it explodes and sue Remington for all they are worth.

Not kicking up drama here but why does Remington build on them? That's just asking for a law suit for a multi million dollar corporation. I should buy a Remington XCR or MLR hope it explodes and sue Remington for all they are worth.

Like bigngreen said, why can't Remington time an action? I wouldn't rely on the fact that Remington chambers in Lapua as a reason to build on an action. Having said that I do not feel it would be unsafe to shoot factory Lapua ammo in a 700 the issue will ultimately be with reloading. Every reloader I know uses things like bolt lift, ejector marks, primer pockets, etc to know when too much pressure has been reached. The issue here is the added bolt thrust. All of this has been pointed out in this thread. Remington's lawyers will win every case in which reloads were used. I did not post to argue and will not do so. I posted because I could not pass this thread without trying to talk sense into someone who could hurt themselves by listening to others who are suggesting potentially dangerous things.

Rfurman24, thanks for the response. Is my build screwed then? Even with a PTG bolt? Like it's unsafe? I honestly didn't know based on the fact that Remington has multiple models on the .338. I used that as piece of mind. Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rfurman24, thanks for the response. Is my build screwed then? Even with a PTG bolt? Like it's unsafe? I honestly didn't know. Thanks again.

I sure would not trust my fingers and eyes around it let alone my life. I am not sure what the end goal is but I could suggest many other options such as a 338 Edge or starting with a Savage 112 Magnum Target($800 on GB). I know we all have our budgets to work within but I struggle to see what saving couple hundred dollars on the action will net with the cost of bullets, powder, and brass to feed a big 338. If I absolutely had to have a .588 cartridge as cheap as safely possible I would start with the 112 Magnum.

Like bigngreen said, why can't Remington time an action? I wouldn't rely on the fact that Remington chambers in Lapua as a reason to build on an action. Having said that I do not feel it would be unsafe to shoot factory Lapua ammo in a 700 the issue will ultimately be with reloading. Every reloader I know uses things like bolt lift, ejector marks, primer pockets, etc to know when too much pressure has been reached. The issue here is the added bolt thrust. All of this has been pointed out in this thread. Remington's lawyers will win every case in which reloads were used. I did not post to argue and will not do so. I posted because I could not pass this thread without trying to talk sense into someone who could hurt themselves by listening to others who are suggesting potentially dangerous things.

As far as I know the original Remington models chambered in .338 Lapua do not use standard supermarket Remington actions, but at least different heat treatment.
If you read the thread of the poor guy blowing up his 300 RUM, I'd think twice about using Rem receivers. Not saying it's the receivers fault, that the rifle got damaged, but it's a typical Remington failure to break of the bolt, since they just solder it on. I wouldn't want to buy a rifle where the bolt could come of easily, especially when the company building them isn't known for good quality control.

As far as I know the original Remington models chambered in .338 Lapua do not use standard supermarket Remington actions, but at least different heat treatment.
If you read the thread of the poor guy blowing up his 300 RUM, I'd think twice about using Rem receivers. Not saying it's the receivers fault, that the rifle got damaged, but it's a typical Remington failure to break of the bolt, since they just solder it on. I wouldn't want to buy a rifle where the bolt could come of easily, especially when the company building them isn't known for good quality control.

It didn't blow up. He cut it to pieces with a band saw...

Many times when a company like Rem chambers something like this they will run a long throat so you can't hit that major pressure spikes, one strategy to keep thinks lower key.

My buddy worked at remington and he said the same thing. I wasn't sure if he was joking, but he told me that you'll never reach the lands on a stock Remington barrel. He said they do it as a safety catch all for guys who reload. I guess it's one more strategy to protect them from a lawsuit.

Do you have the thread link? I've been looking up action failures from
Hot reloads but the only thing coming up are wrong cartridges and blocked barrels. Cleaning rods in a barrel is pretty **** scary.

I would look at a savage single shot 112. They are really nice for about $900. I'm sure they will shoot out of the box. Super easy to rebarrel. I just rebarreled a savage 110 to .308. It's a 3/4 performer with federal gold match.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts