Best action for a budget minded 338 Norma Mag

As far as I know the original Remington models chambered in .338 Lapua do not use standard supermarket Remington actions, but at least different heat treatment.
If you read the thread of the poor guy blowing up his 300 RUM, I'd think twice about using Rem receivers. Not saying it's the receivers fault, that the rifle got damaged, but it's a typical Remington failure to break of the bolt, since they just solder it on. I wouldn't want to buy a rifle where the bolt could come of easily, especially when the company building them isn't known for good quality control.
using that post (if it is the post I am thinking of) really is apples and oranges , that guy had a seemingly simple stuck bolt and they cut that action up, It didnt blow apart. really sux and I really feel bad for that guy but probably at the most splitting the lug and loosening the barrel would have been the route I would have tried. And re-silver soldering the handle on should be no step for a stepper

Last edited:
This discussion seems to be going in circles, let me add something new. For a 338 Norma diameter cartridge, you need an action with 1.125" tenon threads and a .750" bolt diameter and, preferably, a receiver larger than 1.350". You should also use a barrel with a minimum chamber end diameter of 1.300".

Do you have the thread link? [...]
using that post (if it is the post I am thinking of) really is apples and oranges [...]

Here is the Link
I didn't say the make caused or augmented the damage.
I'm just saying, that a cheap receiver will stay a cheap receiver. And with cheap I do not mean inexpensive, just supermarket level cheap. Soldering on a bolt handle is not the right way to attach one metal part upon which forces will act, creating a bending moment on the connection, to another part. Welding it on again is just as bad. Finished parts shouldn't be subjected to any local overheating.
Some form of positive locking connection would be the best way to attach the bolt. Machining a prism shaped slot into the bolt into which the handle is inserted and then secured with a screw, or just screwing and glueing it on would be much better.

Call defiance and ask them to build a deviant 1.4" wide with a 1 1/8x18 thread and .750 bolt. If they hear in enough we will get a true lapua action out of them. Maybe.
I've already done that. I even asked them to make it round, instead of flats on the sides, with an integral rail and lug and a sliding plate extractor. They asked me how many I would buy. When I told them 1, it didn't seem to boost their motivation.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.