338 Norma action

Wow thanks you were really helpful. I had not noticed that.

Can you answer my actual question? In case you missed it. What was the cost first ½ of last yr? Have the answer? No?

There is a reason I am not posting the actual price in case it's in error or the gunsmith ffl pricing.

Is the current pricing on their pdf pricing sheet correct? A BAT HR lapua bolt face 20-40 moa integrated rail full nitride $2300? That does not seem just a wee bit high?

Borden 338 Bigfoot nitrided $1700

Terminus Kratos X DLC $1425

Even Pierce's 10x chevtac actions with all the bells and whistles is under $2K.

What 0.509 bolt action is over $2k let alone $2300 other than the BAT?

Which, once again, is what caught my attention and caused me to look up the price I had.
I agree, bat actions are way over priced, but they're top the food chain. I wouldn't even put terminus on a list of comparison. I'd turn one down if it was free.

well @Ucsdryder
10# all in 338 edge
22" bart 9.3 tw
TBAC 338 ULTRA can
mcm Game warden 2.0
TT Diamond
BAT HR ultra lite
UM dbm 4.00" mag box
View attachment 396017
View attachment 396018View attachment 396019View attachment 396020
View attachment 396021View attachment 396022View attachment 396023
Why'd you decide on the edge? Have you shot it yet? Curious about the velocities with the 22" barrel and the recoil with the can.

I picked up my wife a 9 point elk rifle tag. She's pregnant and can't hike like she normally does. Putting the 338 on the back burner and trying to buy a UTV at the moment!!!

The bat HR like the one on the rifle in the picture cost around 2k i think plus shipping from UM because of the extra machining and such..

A standard HR with 30 Moa rail full nitride cost around $1840 plus shipping from Bullet central .. same cost a year ago

I would say $2300 was a mistake on your part maybe got some number crossed up

Last edited:
Why'd you decide on the edge? Have you shot it yet? Curious about the velocities with the 22" barrel and the recoil with the can.

I picked up my wife a 9 point elk rifle tag. She's pregnant and can't hike like she normally does. Putting the 338 on the back burner and trying to buy a UTV at the moment!!!
The Edge is the easy button on the higher end of the 338's no forming, great performance, great brass, and absolutely loves H1000.

good barrel life which doesn't really matter that much to me in the slightest but its there .. and being this close to season I wanted load and go..

the new DBM from UM is going to let us have more choices

the weight and handling wouldn't be any different due to action size being same on mag vs. lapua

I feel like a lot of folks have forgotten just how big the RUM case is in relation to even a lapua improved ..

the 338 NIMP is basically a 338 RUM

i will ring it out this weekend and see where it stacks up..

Last edited:
Where the lapua improved is gonna stand out, shorter barrels. My 338 rum runs 300s at 2810 with N570 from a 28" barrel, shoots awesome. An edge will run same node with H1000, and get to the 2900 node with N570 in a 28" barrel. A lapua improved will do this with 2-4" less barrel. Or an extra 150fps over rum, 100fps over edge in same barrel lengths. Regardless, 300gr bullets going 2800-2950fps, the only difference is on paper or in your ballistics calculator. Results on game will be the same within 1k yards.

I agree, bat actions are way over priced, but they're top the food chain. I wouldn't even put terminus on a list of comparison. I'd turn one down if it was free.
Yes I agree. I do think Borden's tolerences are just as tight but Bat has the long history name for sure. Are Terminus that poor. I was only going off reviews on those as I like 3 lug. Too bad.
The bat HR like the one on the rifle in the picture cost around 2k i think plus shipping from UM because of the extra machining and such..

A standard HR with 30 Moa rail full nitride cost around $1840 plus shipping from Bullet central .. same cost a year ago

I would say $2300 was a mistake on your part maybe got some number crossed up
That's what I figured. But I got the price off the pdf prices heat on Bats current site. I just rechecked and it actually is closer to $2200. 8 must have added the extra nitrided for the bolt vs just whole action. That's what started this whole mess. Here is the link to the configure and price sheet https://www.batmachine.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/action-config-2021F.pdf Here is the BAT site page I got that link off. It's in red print under the HR description https://www.batmachine.com/batactions/model-hr/

Maybe they want to force people thru their retail partners vs dealing with individual customers and their orders. The higher list would have that effect. It just really thru me seeing over $2k for an action no matter how well machined. But they are the top dog on rep for most people. Now under $2k makes sense.

Sorry about getting this thread off into the weeds.

Thanks guys.

Are Terminus that poor. I was only going off reviews on those as I like 3 lug. Too bad
I have 3, 1 has been good, 2 others have shown pressure way early, bolt lift, swipe, talked to manufacturer, never even offered to take a look at them. I'll never touch one again. I polished the bolt face, reduced ejector spring tension, and it helped some, but still a 60° lift action requires a lot more mechanical force to extract cases than a 90°, lift will always show up earlier with a 60° 3 lug. My 338 rum is on helios serial number 0007 and it's been great, however the problematic ones have been much more recent production. Personally 90° action with 1.125" tenon is all I'd run, ensure the barrel has at least 3" of shank at 1.250 diameter.

Thanks guys. This is all good to know..

Mike, what about the Borden makes you wish you had gone Bat? I have heard nothing but good about them and the ones I handled were fantastic. It's frustrating as that was one of only a very few I was considering for a couple future builds.

The Bat HR is still in the 1800s for integral lug and rail, full nitride. The Vesper, which is an HR but machined out to be light is more and only available through unknown munitions. The ignitor is also an HR but with a bolt on rail, and integral lug. If you dont mind the bolt on rail, its an excellent value. I know its confusing. They are all HRs but they have different names. Bat is working on a new website that should help. They dont list all their options. You can get the HR with the rail cut out in the center like a GA hunter too. Bat makes a lot of different versions of their actions. Bullet central is the best way to order one. You will get it quicker through them than direct.

So far as the 338 choices, you cant go wrong if its a 33 ;) I do have a personal preference for my 338 Lapua improved because it has just impressed the hell out of me. I have had 3 myself and chambered one for a buddy in Dillon. All 4 of those have shot groups in the 1"s at 1k yds. I have a bunch more out there and I have come to expect that from them. Another thing I like about them is for some reason they all shoot the same load. Its like a 6br. I can chamber one up and tell the customer to load this load, and he's 99% of the way there. Just something right about that case. My last one tuned at 2960fps with a 300 berger in a 26" Bartlien, 103.5 of N570. But the rum and edges are awesome too. In general the big 338s behave a lot better than magnums in other bore sizes.

Thanks Alex good to know the real street prices.

I think the LM Imp is the right powder capacity for the 285-300gr 338s for LR Hunting. IMO, the 30 NM Imp is just about ideal for the 245s. I like when you can hit a node at 3k +/- 50fps with the heavy high BC bullets with a reasonable length barrel which for me max's at 26" if I have to cover ground on foot. Even more so if I can reach it with a H1000, Retumbo, or N100 series.

Prefer Imp cases in general, unless fast cycling is a priority. I favor 338 cal in general for hunting. They seem to cause bang-flop more freq for a given shot placement vs smaller cal. Not nessarily "needed" but confidence building for sure. Saves extra walking.

The Bat HR is still in the 1800s for integral lug and rail, full nitride. The Vesper, which is an HR but machined out to be light is more and only available through unknown munitions. The ignitor is also an HR but with a bolt on rail, and integral lug. If you dont mind the bolt on rail, its an excellent value. I know its confusing. They are all HRs but they have different names. Bat is working on a new website that should help. They dont list all their options. You can get the HR with the rail cut out in the center like a GA hunter too. Bat makes a lot of different versions of their actions. Bullet central is the best way to order one. You will get it quicker through them than direct.

So far as the 338 choices, you cant go wrong if its a 33 ;) I do have a personal preference for my 338 Lapua improved because it has just impressed the hell out of me. I have had 3 myself and chambered one for a buddy in Dillon. All 4 of those have shot groups in the 1"s at 1k yds. I have a bunch more out there and I have come to expect that from them. Another thing I like about them is for some reason they all shoot the same load. Its like a 6br. I can chamber one up and tell the customer to load this load, and he's 99% of the way there. Just something right about that case. My last one tuned at 2960fps with a 300 berger in a 26" Bartlien, 103.5 of N570. But the rum and edges are awesome too. In general the big 338s behave a lot better than magnums in other bore sizes.
I do love me some 338 Action

My last one tuned at 2960fps with a 300 berger in a 26" Bartlien, 103.5 of N570.
Alex, what's barrel life and throat erosion like running that node with N570? It seems to eat steel very quickly in smaller bores. My 338 rum with N570 has held tune/throat pretty well, but I'm burning near 12 gr less than you are.