338 Norma action

Theres two issues with seating the bullet way in there. Neck tension and donuts. Seating the bullet through the sized part of the neck reduces neck tension. The reason is because the pressure ring on the bullet is larger than the shank and expands the neck as you seat it. If it goes all the way through the neck then you can not control the neck tension. Luckily in the case of 338s they like light neck tension so this is not a problem. The donut issue effects anything. If you have them and the bullet touches them your in trouble. If you dont have them your fine. And theres ways of dealing with them if they exist. So while its not ideal to seat bullets that deep, it can be managed. I do prefer to avoid it though. The need of a repeater decreases as range increases. I love single shots :)

I agree, and if it can be avoided then yes do it. not all builds can have the bullet loaded above junction but when built right and loaded correctly will shoot outstanding when seated below junction.. all I'm saying is guys get scared when the bullet isn't hanging out of the case a mile and think it wont shoot but it will.. I am not a fan of single shots for the way I hunt and in my hunting rifles so that is not an option..

Recent Posts