TBAC 338 ULTRA can
mcm Game warden 2.0
TT Diamond
BAT HR ultra lite
UM dbm 4.00" mag box
View attachment 396017
View attachment 396018View attachment 396019View attachment 396020
View attachment 396021View attachment 396022View attachment 396023
Prelims are getting there,,,, started with a simple velocity/pressure ladder test.
Ole Stubby ran up to @3210 fps ( labradar speeds no guessing or assuming here ) W/h1000, 225 accubond, ADG brass and CCI 250 primers my 338 edge reamer
no signs of any kind for pressure silky frickin smooth
my plan is to either run these or 223 HH
recoil is no more than my 22" 300 NIMP slinging 230@3000 as I shot them side by side to see if felt recoil is more.

My intentions with this rifle, I wanted a short barreled 338 that slings chunks at 3150-3200

Last edited:
Thanks guys. This is all good to know..

Mike, what about the Borden makes you wish you had gone Bat? I have heard nothing but good about them and the ones I handled were fantastic. It's frustrating as that was one of only a very few I was considering for a couple future builds.
Only because it can be had with a 4" opening. Jim Borden said he doesn't recommend opening his up to 4".

Although after loading up some dummy cartridges I'm not sure a 4" would be needed in a 300/338 Norma cartridge length.
It will be very close with the Wyatt's box when loading CE Lazer 230 grain bullets. If my calculations are right I will only have about .010 to spare. That's less than ideal with a heavier recoiling rifle.

Alex, what's barrel life and throat erosion like running that node with N570? It seems to eat steel very quickly in smaller bores. My 338 rum with N570 has held tune/throat pretty well, but I'm burning near 12 gr less than you are.
Never killed one. Throat erosion is mild. Very mild. If you shoot them slow. You will easily get over 1k rounds of top accuracy. I dont care about powders and barrel life. I have heard a lot of opinions on this but you shoot the most accurate powder period. If you get 100 less rounds out of the barrel so be it. The differenced is small.

Oh I drool over his stuff every time he posts it!
Here's my 338 Reaper by LPR on Dallas's BAT action that I got a few weeks ago. Just finishing up some load development. Looks like I'll be settling with 100 grains of Retumbo and Fed 215's with a 300 Berger EH on top. With the 26" Proof I'm at 2990 with this load. This is my first BAT and I can tell you it won't be the last. SILKY smooth is an understatement.

Attachments

• 4727D1C3-7AE0-4416-8DC1-012545B09529.jpeg
    4727D1C3-7AE0-4416-8DC1-012545B09529.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 82
Only because it can be had with a 4" opening. Jim Borden said he doesn't recommend opening his up to 4".

Although after loading up some dummy cartridges I'm not sure a 4" would be needed in a 300/338 Norma cartridge length.
It will be very close with the Wyatt's box when loading CE Lazer 230 grain bullets. If my calculations are right I will only have about .010 to spare. That's less than ideal with a heavier recoiling rifle.
and now we have the option of an actual 4.00" dbm that runs these cartridges like glass!!!

yeah sorry it is 3.950" i Just measured mine

the internal length of the next best thing is only .020" longer! so really that's not a deal breaker for me

Just out of curiosity, what's the overall length of a 338 Lapua with a 300gr Berger seated with the shank just above the neck/shoulder junction. Is that too long to fit in the Unknown Munitions magazine box.

I've ran them down to fit in a 3.850 wyatts with room to spare with no issues getting the same speed and extreme accuracy out of them as in a 4.00 wyatts
In my opinion to much emphasis is put on the bullet being way out in the neck or else you wont get accuracy or speed .. I mean they are going to be accurate way out there, but way in there they still accurate!!!

I've ran them down to fit in a 3.850 wyatts with room to spare with no issues getting the same speed and extreme accuracy out of them as in a 4.00 wyatts
In my opinion to much emphasis is put on the bullet being way out in the neck or else you wont get accuracy or speed .. I mean they are going to be accurate way out there, but way in there they still accurate!!!

I was just curious as I'm in the planning stages of getting things together for a 338 Lapua Imp build. Not planning on trying to build something super light but still want it somewhat packable. Going to be a long range elk rifle.