Bertram and adg brass

I am relatively new here but,I have 400 Bertram cases in 338 RUM. Out of those,I only had 54 cases that weighed within 4 grains. The neck thickness averaged .004" with many above .0065". Case heads were all out of square by a minimum of.005"+. Case heads being out of square causes extractor engagement issues,if the case enters the chamber on the high side the extractor won't engage the rim. By comparison,150 pieces of ADG of the same lot number,all weighed within 1.6 grains,and neck thickness is all within .0007".There may be those that say that is too much work or being too critical,but you only get out of it what you put into it! And,the ADG is very reasonably priced IMO compared to Nosler or Norma,the latter needing forming to 338 RUM. No,i havent shot any yet,barrel is in the lathe as we speak.

ADG brass is consistent and tough as any brass I've ever used! When I first received brass from them for my SS line, I sent them around to several clients and they all agreed. My experience with Bertram is limited to Saum I found it to be tough but not as consistent

I've been told by one who knows that that the order of quality, etc is Jamison, Bertram then Peterson. With Peterson being as much better than Bertram as Bertram is over Jamison. So far I've limited my loading to the capability of the Jamison until I run out of them.

I'm starting work on a couple 6.5 PRC projects and it looks like both Bertram and ADG are making brass for the PRC now. Do any of you guys have experience with these brass makers? I've never used brass from either manufacture. I am looking for brass that is consistent in size/ weight and will hold a primer well over several firings with high end loads.

I recently prepped 200 of Bertram's 28 Nosler offerings. I don't know why I bothered with turning the necks as they were excellent. Usual cleanup at the primer pocket and into the gun they went.

Also got a tour of the factory when we picked up the cases.

Standard for weight distribution is 1-2% of weight of the brass so a case that weighs 200 grs, a 2grain weight difference acceptable. NECK turning does NOTHING if not for a tight BR chamber, BR chamber necessary due to tight tolerances for the round. At a 1000 yds, what is you change in spread. Can get crazy with this kind of thing. Unless you're BR shooting at a 1000 yds and or just trying to have something to brag about, not important unless would put you out of the X ring (10" at a 1000 yds for hi-power target).

Here's my unscientific take on it. I found a node with 140 grain Elite Hybrids with RL26 at 56.7 to 57.1 grains at 3055 fps in my 24" bbl. The Hornady brass has trouble up here, showing pressure signs with a tight bolt on several cases. The ADG isn't breaking a sweat loaded in the middle of the same node at 3060 fps.
same results here. I shoot 55.5 to 55.8 h4831 with 140 elites at 3104 and go from sticky bolt after 4 or 5 reloads to easy bolt lift with new brass (Hornady). accuracy improvement is very noticeable when loading the fresh stuff. I too want to try better brass.

From a recent batch of ADG 6CM, I drew a sample of ten cases. Their weight had an ES of 0.9 grains and SD of 0.37 grains (170.4 grain average weight).

I took two measurements from each neck, both the maximum thickness I could find and the minimum (so 20 total measurements). The ES of thickness for all 20 observations was 0.0009" and the SD was 0.00036".

I haven't tried Bertram.
That consistency is very close to what I measured in my sst brass from ADG. A 10 case random sample produced 1/10 grain E S in H20 volume which is what really counts for low velocity e s

I currently use 6.5 PRC brass made by ADG. Brass weight has been consistent as well as the neck thickness. I am on the third reload cycle and am very happy with its performance. When guys tell you that the PRC is inherently accurate with Hornady brass they are absolutely correct. Unbelievably accurate with ADG brass!
I have no experience with Bertram. Good luck

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts