Bertram brass

I was part of the test group of 6.5saum brass for Bertram here in the states. I was shipped out some brass and was told to over pressure it. So I did, I shot 6 reloads loads of over pressure on the brass, then I tamed it down and am on my 8th reload on this stuff and it just doesnt stop. The primer pockets are Just as tight as they were when I first got the stuff. The brass itself ran super consistent in weights, volume and thickness. I didnt have burs on my inside flash hole on any of my brass. I will also be running this stuff in my 375 cheytac once everything comes together. The 375 brass looks really good also.

Hope this helps.

I was part of the test group of 6.5saum brass for Bertram here in the states. I was shipped out some brass and was told to over pressure it. So I did, I shot 6 reloads loads of over pressure on the brass, then I tamed it down and am on my 8th reload on this stuff and it just doesnt stop. The primer pockets are Just as tight as they were when I first got the stuff. The brass itself ran super consistent in weights, volume and thickness. I didnt have burs on my inside flash hole on any of my brass. I will also be running this stuff in my 375 cheytac once everything comes together. The 375 brass looks really good also.

Hope this helps.

I had the opposite experience with Bertram 6.5 saum brass.
I got a bag in January and quality was worse than Winchester.
I had a weight spread of 7 grains, case capacity spread of 1.7 grains, neck thickness varried by .005 (brass definitely needs turned), flash holes were blocked by jagged pieces of brass, and I hit pressure before ever reaching velocities that I get with my Norma brass.
I also couldn't get good sd or es with any loads.
Who's using it and how do you like it? Been using Norma for years but can't find any. Bertram seems to be priced well but I have zero experience with it .
My advice is save your money..
It's tough brass but quality is seriously lacking

0302192202_HDR.jpg
You must have gotten a bad bag. If I were you I would have gotten a hold of someone and asked some questions. I've got a couple more bags on their first shipment and it all seems very consistent as well. Don't know what to tell you. I haven't done anything to the brass above, that was straight out of the bag. I checked every single one for a bur.

I actually got better velocities with Bertram than I did with my Norma 6.5saum brass.

Xdeano

View attachment 126236 You must have gotten a bad bag. If I were you I would have gotten a hold of someone and asked some questions. I've got a couple more bags on their first shipment and it all seems very consistent as well. Don't know what to tell you. I haven't done anything to the brass above, that was straight out of the bag. I checked every single one for a bur.

I actually got better velocities with Bertram than I did with my Norma 6.5saum brass.

Xdeano
Here's a pic of a jagged flash hole.
I was getting ejector marks on Bertram cases with loads that weren't within 50 fps or formed 7 saum Norma brass.
From what others are confirming it doesn't sound like I got a bad batch, you got an unusually good one
IMG_20190120_121354413.jpg

I must have had some good luck. Talk to the factory. I'm sure theyll make it good.

I was actually able to cram about 2 grains of powder more into the Bertram case over my necked down Norma. Able to get more fires out of Bertram brass as well. The Bertram brass reminded me of the old remington brass as far as capacity goes. Velocities were similar to Remington brass and my es was single digits.

Xdeano

xdeano and blackaj, I would like to use your photos on a website, may I do so? I prep my brass, including the flash hole and primer pocket and would like to illustrate why.

I bought Peterson in 280 several years ago when brass was hard to find and had horrible results.with it. It actually split vertically at the base. I had a picture of it but can't find it now.

xdeano and blackaj, I would like to use your photos on a website, may I do so? I prep my brass, including the flash hole and primer pocket and would like to illustrate why.
Fine by me.

Blackaj,
Two of the things guys are complaining about, the bur in thr flash hole and the .005 off on neck thickness are not an issue for me or most guys that reload. Because they can be fixed, and most guys just fix it when they prep their brass.

If youre .005 out, neck turn to what ever thickness you want.

If you have a bur, take a bit and make it right. Its not rocket science.

Xdeano

There 6.5 saum brass has very mixed reveiws for consistantcies which led me to another direction
Consider a 7 saum 6.5. Nothing is more accurate and it gives you like 400fps over a 6.5 creedmoor. I have both and the 6.5 creedmoor isn't In the league with it.

Saying you can just trim necks to whatever you want is not true. .003-.005 is about max for neck chamber clearance. Anymore and you'll run into issues using bushing dies and will have to use a two bushing step process. There comes a point where to thin of necks is going to cause issues. Your correct that most the issues can be resolved. My issue is that the cost of the brass does not equal that quality price point. If your going to charge as much as Norma, Lapua, Nosler, Adg, then it should be same quality. It seems that Bertram game is to produce calibers that are hard to find.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.