Anyone like CRF rifles but hate the safety?

Elkwonder

Ok, I get the controlled round feed argument. Problem is, I hate the safety on them. They are almost always loud and gritty feeling. Im sure they smooth out over time, but they sure start off gritty and noisy. Just kinda a turn off to me I guess. Anyone else like the idea of controlled round feed, but dislike the safety on them? Thanks

The three position safety of the Model 70 and M 77 to me is one of the most important and most preferred features.

If it feels a bit rough at first that's no bit deal at all, you just have to wear the knew off of it. A little range time or a little lapping compound will take care of that.

As for loud, no I don't find that to be an issue at all. I would be worried bout any safety that doesn't have an audible click to it when you change position.

I currently own 5 Rem 700's, 6 Win M70's, 1Ruger M77, and one Montanna M1999 along with one CZ and have owned quite a few more of each of those over the years and I'll take the CRF action with the three position safety all day, every day, and twice on Sundays over the push feed action 2 position safety.

I started off in life shooting Remingtons and it took a bit of getting used to the 3 position safety when I shot my first Pre 64 M 70 but I'm definitely hooked on them for life.

I don't like CRF bolts. I've never seen the need for the extra parts. Luckily, my Winchester M70 is a push feed. I've never had an issue with a 3 position safety, either.

I agree, I can't stand the model 70 style safety. Primarily, I dislike how loud it is (my experience is limited to the one model 70, .308 that I own). On all my other rifles with receiver safeties, Remington 700, 721, 725, Savage 10, 110, Whitworth (CZ mauser action), I can keep a firm grip on the rifle with my strong hand, and pushing down, or applying pressure down while disengaging the safety, I can do it silently. On the Winchester, I have take my hand off the stock, and grip the safety between my thumb and index finger to accomplish the same thing. For many hunting scenarios, it probably doesn't matter, however I have killed deer and black bear here in MI at under 15 yds, and if I just "clicked" the safety off with my thumb, it would be a deal breaker at that distance. Secondarily, the model 70 safety is the only style that I have ever had get caught on brush and inadvertently disengage. This only happened once, and in extremely thick brush, so I don't put too much merit on this issue, but it did happen. Personally, I think the tang safety on a Savage 110 is ideal. As for liking CRF, I'm undecided. I do love my Whitworth .375 h&h. Super smooth, however I can't say I've ever had a feed issue with any of my push feed rifles, so it may just be peace of mind vs. actual enhanced reliability.

I agree, I can't stand the model 70 style safety. Primarily, I dislike how loud it is (my experience is limited to the one model 70, .308 that I own). On all my other rifles with receiver safeties, Remington 700, 721, 725, Savage 10, 110, Whitworth (CZ mauser action), I can keep a firm grip on the rifle with my strong hand, and pushing down, or applying pressure down while disengaging the safety, I can do it silently. On the Winchester, I have take my hand off the stock, and grip the safety between my thumb and index finger to accomplish the same thing. For many hunting scenarios, it probably doesn't matter, however I have killed deer and black bear here in MI at under 15 yds, and if I just "clicked" the safety off with my thumb, it would be a deal breaker at that distance. Secondarily, the model 70 safety is the only style that I have ever had get caught on brush and inadvertently disengage. This only happened once, and in extremely thick brush, so I don't put too much merit on this issue, but it did happen. Personally, I think the tang safety on a Savage 110 is ideal. As for liking CRF, I'm undecided. I do love my Whitworth .375 h&h. Super smooth, however I can't say I've ever had a feed issue with any of my push feed rifles, so it may just be peace of mind vs. actual enhanced reliability.

I agree. The model 70 safety is awkward at best.

I'm a big fan of the pre-64 Model 70's, and own several. I prefer the safety over the R700 but, am particularly careful with game at close range having spooked a buck at close range many years ago with the "click".

I like the 3-position safety. The safety that's disengaged itself on me, more than any other, was the tang safety on the Ruger M77 bolt rifles from the late 70s and into the 80s. Seen the same thing occur on my hunting partner's M77 tang safety and the Ruger single shots with tang safeties. Never had a discharge, but did find the safety in the fire position more than once while hiking thru brush.

I learned to get the noise out of the way while bowhunting whitetails from ground blinds as a youngster. By the time an animal I'm going to shoot is close enough to hear my 3-position safety, the safety is off. The only remaining noise is muzzle blast.

I too never had a problem. This critter never heard any noise at 338 yards and never knew he got hit by a .225g NAB from Ruger M77 MKII in .338 WM. :):D:rolleyes::cool:gun)

2011-11-19_14-49-06_396.jpg

I have two Model 70's one push feed and one pre war and two Model 700's and one Ruger 77. Hands down I like Model 70 push feed safety the best. It is also the only one that froze in wet snow. This is the only advantage to a Model 700 I see as it's less exposed to weather.
If and when I have a custom Rifle built it would be on a Winchester Model 70 XTR action safety and all as I prefer its 3 position safety.

I have two Model 70's one push feed and one pre war and two Model 700's and one Ruger 77. Hands down I like Model 70 push feed safety the best. It is also the only one that froze in wet snow. This is the only advantage to a Model 700 I see as it's less exposed to weather.
If and when I have a custom Rifle built it would be on a Winchester Model 70 XTR action safety and all as I prefer its 3 position safety.
I've had the unfortunate problem of freeze up in snow/freezing rain with both Remington and several different Tang Safeties.

Have yet to happen with a 3 *** safety but under the right conditions it could happen to any of them.

I have also had this happen in freezing weather with various different safety systems. The nice aspect of the Win 70 safety is that I was able to de-freeze the safety with the heat from my fingers quite easily and remain functional.

I have also had this happen in freezing weather with various different safety systems. The nice aspect of the Win 70 safety is that I was able to de-freeze the safety with the heat from my fingers quite easily and remain functional.
Yep, my wife thought I'd lost my mind when I started blowing on them. Just make sure it's not cold enough for your lips to freeze to steel. That hurts! :D

On the three *** though even when frozen just a little finger wiggling at it broke right free. and didn't cost me a shot.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.