Anyone using Ruger American rifles??

We have quite a few Ruger Americans. When we first started making bullets we needed test rifles. The local Murdochs had coupons at Christmas time that made them $250 each. This was when they 1st came out and we had no real expectations for them other than to launch a bullet. Every one of them has been sub moa out to 600y easy. Had one hear that we purchased to sell that is chambered in 6 Creed that I just set up for myself. I drew a trophy mule deer tag this year that is in the high country of the Missions in MT. This is about as rugged terrain that there is and I do not want to carry my 13 lb rifle. Have not shot this rifle yet but I expect that it will be just as good as all the others have been.

Steve

and that is a problem how? If that is what you need, make a singleshot follower or learn to finagle. This stuff is only as hard as you make it.....

Problem...not really, I don't expect a $350 rifle to be perfect. I actually like it, or wouldn't keep it.
Annoying...yes, kind of like your response (and a bit uncalled for). Every time I want to load the thing I have to drop the mag and load a single round or pick the rifle up, point the muzzle down and shake it to get a round to chamber. Don't know about you, but if I'm doing load development I may only load a single round at a time. I'm not making it hard, my rifle has a flaw. End of story.......

Got wife a Ruger Precision in 6.5 CM after she used that caliber in a long range class she took.

In playing with her rifle I became impressed with the 6.5 CM and picked up the Ruger American Predator as a light weight Antelope/Deer rifle.

The RAP shoots as good as the RPR at 1/3 the cost. I was so impressed with the 6.5 RAP I ended up wiht a 223 and 204 RAP. None of mine are modified with the exception of adding a Brake to each one.

Wacked a ton of PDs with the RAP 204 and 223. My 6.5 RAP has done its job on some long range Antelope and Deer the last couple years.

Thinking about using the 6.5 for elk this year.

Does the rim fires count??? I have a 17 that's laser out to 200 & beyond. Also have a RPR in 6.5 but everybody already knows the story on them!

BOYD'S STOCK INFO.:
MyBoyd's Classic stock came with a plastic trigger guard (gak!)

A guy on the 6.5 Creedmoor site said a Savage 110 metal guard fits perfectly so I got one from Brownell's and he was correct - it is a metal version of the plastic one Boyd's sent and fits perfectly. In fact you can buy the plastic guard from Brownell's as well.

Anyway,the metal trigger guard completes the nice stock upgrade and now my RAP looks and feels much more like a $1,000. rifle. And of course, it shoots like one too.

Eric B.

Last edited:
Not to tug your chain but this comment is in the current Browning Hells Canyon thread by Catahoula:

"I bought a Hell Canyon in 300 Win Mag. The rifle is very nice but they have a fifty cent magazine. Mine would not feed. I hunt where there are a lot of grizzly bears. Really need the rifle to function. Sold mine & went to the Remington Wilderness Rifle in 300 RUM! All good now.
If Browning ever gets a better mag for the Hell Canyon I will buy another."
Thanks, Kirk

Eric, thanks for the picture of the rifle with the laminated stock! It is definitely a good looking rifle.

Hmm... Well, I stand corrected.

Haven't come close to this issue in seven years with two different rifles. But mine are both short action. Maybe there's a difference with the bearing surface?

Hmm... Well, I stand corrected.

Haven't come close to this issue in seven years with two different rifles. But mine are both short action. Maybe there's a difference with the bearing surface?

I have been working (mounts, rings, scope, load development) with a buddy on his x-bolt in .300 WSM and the last time I fired it the magazine fell apart. I really like the rifle, shoots great. But that magazine is crap, hopefully it's an isolated incident. You shouldn't have to spend $40 a whack to find a good one (or two, or three). It isn't like our $10 M4 magazines, first time fail and it's done. It is turned in for another, and made sure it never gets used by anyone else.
Again, I like the rifle so don't think I'm bashing the brand.

We have quite a few Ruger Americans. When we first started making bullets we needed test rifles. The local Murdochs had coupons at Christmas time that made them $250 each. This was when they 1st came out and we had no real expectations for them other than to launch a bullet. Every one of them has been sub moa out to 600y easy. Had one hear that we purchased to sell that is chambered in 6 Creed that I just set up for myself. I drew a trophy mule deer tag this year that is in the high country of the Missions in MT. This is about as rugged terrain that there is and I do not want to carry my 13 lb rifle. Have not shot this rifle yet but I expect that it will be just as good as all the others have been.

Steve

I know this is an older thread but, I just finished breaking in and testing my RAP in 6mm Creedmoor. It shoots bugholes with factory ammo! I have a LOT of rifles, and have had for decades. I average around eight new, or new to me, rifles a year. I do a lot of work on my rifles to get most of them shooting sub-MOA. My Ruger American centerfire rifles have by far been, on average, the most accurate out of the box, mass manufactured, rifles I've ever seen. The Lefty RAP 6.5 Creedmoor, the RA Go Wild 6.5 Creedmoor, the RA Go Wild 30-06, the RA STD 243 and the Lefty RA STD 223 all shoot sub-MOA but, the RAP 6mm Creedmoor shoots bugholes routinely!

It's not just my Ruger American Centerfire rifles I've seen shoot well, several of my buddies have them and theirs shoot just as good as mine.

While I and several friends have had similar success with the T/C Compass rifles in various chamberings, and all have shot MOA or better, I haven't seen quite the degree of accuracy with them as I have with the Ruger American centerfire rifles. Don't get me wrong, I love the Compass rifles too, and at $150.00 less than a RA each, I purchased just as many of them. Cumulatively, the Ruger American centerfire rifles are just more accurate, and that is saying a lot! The RA actions are, I wouldn't say smoother but, tighter and slicker. Ruger uses tiny radial machine cuts in the bolt and bolt channel to make the actions slicker. The tiny purpose cut machine ridges, while making the bolt motion slick and creating clearance for debris or ice, while still maintaining a tight mating, do cause a very faint feeling vibration when cycling the bolt. Again, not a bad thing, just a different feel but, a tighter yet more reliable function.

I have only one Savage Axis, a 7mm-08 and it too shoots sub-MOA but, I just can't bring myself to love it like I love my RAs or Compass rifles... It just doesn't feel as good, to me. YMMV.

I had read or was told Ruger had spent a ton of money replacing their barrelmaking machinery. Most are shooting quite well lately.
Now if only Remington will do the same and update all their rifles to 5R rifling and modern twist rates, they might could enjoy some new success, too.

Because their 5R milspec models and their other rifles with 5R barrels seem to all be accurate, and successful. Their other rifles with bad reputations are killing their sales and overall reputation.

To stay on topic, I do want one of these, because I love my custom 6.5 Grendel AR, but think it would be a great little deer hunting cartridge for close range.

https://ruger.com/products/americanRiflePredator/specSheets/26922.html

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.