Anybody regret NOT going 338?

Yup, a poor shot is a poor shot, whether it's from a 223, 7mm or 338.
and a good shot from a 338 is better than a poor shot from a.... fill in the blank

MontanaRifleman

I choose 40mm grenade to fill in the blank. During my youth I was informed many times close only counts with horse shoes and grenades.:D

Interesting thread.

golfers carry a big bag of clubs for a reason. some are better than others for certain type shots.
the op asked a question which was well answered by broz on the first reply.
first off most long range shots are under 1000 yds. id say probably 90% of them.
i happen to own quite a few guns id call long range capable from a
6.5wsm up to and including a 338 on a very big case.
for deer hunting, if all my guns were in a big bag and a shot presented itself at say 900 yds. id pull out my 7x300 wby. if that were a 7stw or a 7mm rum id still be pulling that one out. if the shot were say 800 id consider the 6.5 wsm.
if the shot was over 1000 id pull out a 300 rum or a 30x378. if it were 1200 or
1300 at most theres no doubt the big baer would be making the shot.

but now were into an area where i personaly think mud runner has a valid
argument. but thats another topic.
for elk hunting id probably only have two guns in the bag.

golfers carry a big bag of clubs for a reason. some are better than others for certain type shots.
the op asked a question which was well answered by broz on the first reply.
first off most long range shots are under 1000 yds. id say probably 90% of them.
i happen to own quite a few guns id call long range capable from a
6.5wsm up to and including a 338 on a very big case.
for deer hunting, if all my guns were in a big bag and a shot presented itself at say 900 yds. id pull out my 7x300 wby. if that were a 7stw or a 7mm rum id still be pulling that one out. if the shot were say 800 id consider the 6.5 wsm.
if the shot was over 1000 id pull out a 300 rum or a 30x378. if it were 1200 or
1300 at most theres no doubt the big baer would be making the shot.

but now were into an area where i personaly think mud runner has a valid
argument. but thats another topic.
for elk hunting id probably only have two guns in the bag.
Thank you. Your input has been greatly appreciated.

All I'm saying is that to make 1,000 yard game kills, you don't need a .50 BMG....

If you're shooting 1/2 mile to a mile....Sure, .338 Lapua is perfect.

I see all the .338 supporters have gathered in here in full-force. Glad to see this thread finally get some much-needed attention. Sometimes you just have to stir the pot a little and bring a fresh perspective to a 1-sided thread. :D

Man, yall are so easy to stir up and get all riled up over nothing. All it took was a couple of well-placed comments with a few key components in them to set yall off...:D

Good discussion!

I am going to side with Mudrunner in that the 300Win properly placed with a properly selected bullet will get the job out to 1000 yards. In order to kill something you must first be able to hit it and few choices make this easier than the 300Win. The lighter the rifle the truer this becomes.

That said if I build a purpose built rifle that only goes too your hide and wait for a super long shot on game? If I shoot mainly deer and some elk the answer is still 300Win.
If you shoot moose and other large critters why not have a big 338?

Yobucks comment of the bag of clubs is perfect.
Some of you guys live in wide open spaces and hunt deer...your club should be a 7stw or 300mag with long bullets...any bullet construction will do. My choices are a lot more complicated.
I choose my rifles and bullets based upon the game, location, shot distances, and terrain to be covered.
A 16 pound 338Lapua is too tiring and too slow for tramping thru the woods all day while looking for whitetail....So I choose another club!

Good discussion!

I am going to side with Mudrunner in that the 300Win properly placed with a properly selected bullet will get the job out to 1000 yards.

Did you read his whole post? Of course a properly placed bullet, etc will get the job done. Since when did we put a 1000 yd limit on shooting game?

In order to kill something you must first be able to hit it and few choices make this easier than the 300Win. The lighter the rifle the truer this becomes.
What makes it easier to hit something is the accuracy and reliability of your rifle and load and the shooter. Generally speaking, heavier rifles are going to be more accurate and consistent at longer ranges. That's a fact. There's always a trade off. The smaller and lighter you go the more you will sacrifice at LR. That's a fact. Large high BC bullets do better at long range than lighter bullets. That's a fact. if someone makes a marginal on an animal @ 1000 (or any range), the larger bullet will cause more trauma and collateral damage than the smaller bullet. That's a fact.

That said if I build a purpose built rifle that only goes too your hide and wait for a super long shot on game? If I shoot mainly deer and some elk the answer is still 300Win.
Good choice, but a 338 Lapua will improve your odds at longer distance. That's a fact.

If you shoot moose and other large critters why not have a big 338?
Moose are probably easier to kill than a big bull elk. Not much LR hunting for moose in the lower 48.

Yobucks comment of the bag of clubs is perfect.
Some of you guys live in wide open spaces and hunt deer...your club should be a 7stw or 300mag with long bullets...any bullet construction will do. My choices are a lot more complicated.
I choose my rifles and bullets based upon the game, location, shot distances, and terrain to be covered.
No argument here, just don't say they are better than a 338.

A 16 pound 338Lapua is too tiring and too slow for tramping thru the woods all day while looking for whitetail....So I choose another club!
Totally your choice, but that doesn't make it THE RIGHT choice for everyone. some guys can lug around a 16 lb rifle. If someone can't lug around a 16 lb rifle, how are they going to pack out a 900 lb Bull?

MudRunners actual BS comments...

The .338 phase is just an overcompensation phase, IMO. However, before all of yall jump my *** about that comment, I was referring to overcompensating for abilities, and not referring to anything else.
Nonsensical BS. He says one thing then another. The 338's are fine LR cartridges period. Abilities apply to the shooter,not the cartridge.

The friggin 2,000 yard plus abilities of a .338 Lapua or Allen Mag are awesome.....But way overkill unless you are just trying to shoot at game as far away as humanly possible...
Can you please define "overkill" for me. How dead is too dead?

I was taught to get as close as possible, within your comfort zone.
This is the Long Range Hunting site. If he want's to preach the above, there are other sites to that.

Yet, we probably have yahoos who make tons of money out there with custom rifles trying to take 2,000 yard shots on animals and inhumanely injuring them, b/c their rig can do it.
More nonsensical BS trash talk. I smell a troll.

But just b/c your setup is capable, doesn't mean they possess the abilities to carry out a shot like that.
Abilities are the attribute of the shooter, not the cartridge. We all have our limitations that are usually based upon experience. A couple of weeks ago I fired a 375 AM. It was a piece of cake.

Overbore magnums are, IMO, not for hunting. .338 Lapua is just too much gun to hunt ANYTHING in N or S America. Unless you're hunting in Africa, you don't need something over .30 caliber.
And the anti gunners say you don't need an "assault" rifle. This isn't about "need", it's about choice and when your talking LR, the bigger the better.

A well-placed shot with a .257 projectile can be MUCH more deadly than a ****-poor shot by a .338....

And just what is that supposed to mean? So what.... If you can't shoot, shooting something smaller doesn't fix it.

I have never regretted my choice to stay with the 7mm calbers....7mm-08, 7mm RemMag, & 7mmSTW.
Good for him. And the 7 mag and STW are both "overbore's"

My STW has impressed my buddy with a .300 WM so much, he has switched his opinions of rebarreling to a .338 Lapua to a 7mmSTW.
I would never opt to barrel a 7 over 300 if I didn't already have a 300. That's me, and BTW, the STW is more overbore than the 338 Lapua or 300 WM.

This is just a lot of silly nonsensical BS from someone who has nothing better to of with a keyboard. No actual facts or data, just a lot of wives tales.

A troll? Hahahahahahahahaha!!!!!! You're funny! No, I am far from a troll, I can assure you.

I love ****ing you off...It's so funny to see you completely overreact to what someone else on the internet has to say, especially if their opinoin differs from yours, and when they state that it is simply their opinion, and never once claimed it to be fact. How can MY PERSONAL OPINION be "nonsensical BS"? It is MY opinion and never stated to be fact. Please explain that, oh wise one... Please show me where I said it was a fact. :rolleyes:

Dude, you have not read the last few posts I've made have you.....My comments were intentionally to rile you up.....I even stated so, yet you still feel the need to go through all this elaborate posting multi-quoting what all I said, and blah blah blah breakdowns. It's friggin hillarious.

A troll? Hahahahahahahahaha!!!!!! You're funny! No, I am far from a troll, I can assure you.

I love ****ing you off...It's so funny to see you completely overreact to what someone else on the internet has to say, especially if their opinoin differs from yours, and when they state that it is simply their opinion, and never once claimed it to be fact. How can MY PERSONAL OPINION be "nonsensical BS"? It is MY opinion and never stated to be fact. Please explain that, oh wise one... Please show me where I said it was a fact. :rolleyes:

Dude, you have not read the last few posts I've made have you.....My comments were intentionally to rile you up.....I even stated so, yet you still feel the need to go through all this elaborate posting multi-quoting what all I said, and blah blah blah breakdowns. It's friggin hillarious.

And this isn't what a troll does? Interesting. I am not riled up... just showing you for what you are. You must live a sad and pitiful life if you get your jollies by trying to rile people up on the internet.

And no, I was not being a troll. Trolls are usually spammers and stuff like that.....Something I have absolutely no part of. We get them on my diesel site on a regualr basis. I guess some trolls could post just to **** people off, but if you look at the amount of time i've put in on this site, and the number of helpful posts I've had, I highly doubt you could lump me in with those idiots. It wouldn't be hard for you, since you seem to strongly dislike me...So it seems no matter what I say it will **** you off.

Not really, my original post and intentions was not meant to **** anyone off. I just stated my opinions, then I re-read it, and realized that my opinions in a thread like this would probably **** some folks off. By that time it was too late, and can't delete them....So what do I do? Go ahead and give a warning that it's gonna **** some folks off. So I did. And it did. And now we're here. But I normally don't post things to **** people off, I just figured I'd have a little fun, since I was the only person posting against the general consensus...

So, thoughts and opinions have grown to this BS. Now, if we could all have a rational conversation instead of saying someone else is full of crap, and completely dismissing their opinions, that would make for a much better thread, don't you think?

Everyone else in this thread was pro-.338.....I introduced my opinions of anti-.338 calibers. Crap hit the fan. Why can discussions not take place in here in calm collective logical reasoning, instead of calling someone's opinion nonsensical BS? Even though I thought, as free-thinking individuals, we had the right to our own opinions...

Wow, I had no idea this topic was so close to the heart. LOL

For all the arguing, I am still undecided but have ordered a trigger, rings, bases, muzzle brake, etc...
I am ready to order my barrel whenever the decision is made.
However, I have found a new problem - midway and several others are listing 16 weeks for powder. I thought the barrel or stock would for sure be the longest lead item. Might be reloading components.....

As long as I've been shopping Midway, they have always had that 16 week disclaimer when you look at buying powder... I don't know how true the 16 week wait really is, but I know I don't hear of many people ordering powder from them. I have been curious about that as well. I've been a member of their site for years, and have wondered that if you are a registered member who buys from them regularly, if it ships faster than 16 weeks or not... B/c if they do get some Varget or H1000 in, and it ships faster than that, I'll order some as soon as it gets in stock.

For some reason right now, it has gone from guns, to ammo, to .22LR bullets, now to reloading components & dies... I mean, it's like one stupid cycle after another. Maybe all this crap will move on to shotguns soon, since I don't care about shooting shotguns alot, and already have tons of 12ga shells laying around that I'll never use... LOL

I had no idea this madness had moved to reloading stuff. I went to bass pro over the weekend only to find they don't have much of anything. Guy behind the counter told me they had a bunch of varget come in a few weeks ago and it was all gone in < 2 hours.

I have never bought powder online b/c I didn't want to pay shipping. I may order 2-3 lbs of 3-4 different powders and just eat the 27.50 and wait for it to come in.....

I was going to pick up powder for my WSM and thought I'd pick up some H1000 and Retumbo for this build. No dice.

Yep....I have 2 most commonly used powders that my guns seem to like and not be temp-sensative to.....Varget & H1000. The Alliant Reloder powders are sensative in my guns. I have a fair bit of it stocked up that I probably won't be using up for a while....Unless I can't find any Varget or H1000, in which case I will be using it in my magnums if I run out of H1000...

If you come across any Varget or H1000, please shoot me a PM ASAP, so I can order some, too.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.