Berger not going splat or pencilling.

260 Rem, 130 VLD Hunting at 2,780 fps muzzle velocity.

My First antelope. 235 yard shot, slightly quartering to me.

Entrance

Exit

Is that a barn door blown out if the side of your lope? For me, that's not a good thing. Which is why I went away from Berger's. I still shoot the 170s out of my 270 WSM, but it's my 600+ yard bullet. I just couldn't lose half my little blacktail deer meat to a bullet being so destructive. Maybe the key is to use them in a caliber where the starting velocity is 2800 not 3000+?? I just realized you started yours below 2800 and still got the grenade effect...

Last edited:
I switched to the Berger 150g VLD Hunting in my 270 this season. Took does at 81yds and 203yds. Both high shoulder broadside. MV 2900fps. Performed as designed in both. They did not explode. Entry was hard to find. Exit was large. Devastating.

I switched to the Berger 150g VLD Hunting in my 270 this season. Took does at 81yds and 203yds. Both high shoulder broadside. MV 2900fps. Performed as designed in both. They did not explode. Entry was hard to find. Exit was large. Devastating.
That's what I was shooting and I kept having so much blood shot and losing the offside shoulder and ribs so I went away from them. I was hoping for a nice golf ball size hole only.

I only shoot bergers. Never had a failure.
Here's one I had last year on a 225 lb boar. Bullet went thru the armored shoulder plate, blew up on the shoulder blade, never broke it or entered the diaphragm and on thr opposite side you can see no exit. 280 yds. 6.5 with 130s. Went splat, no pencil, no penetration. Dogs slowed it up in a creek bed and I killed it with my Glock 9mm. Head shot. I've had some bad luck with them. I still use the 170s but only at long distance. They seem to work well. I'm also having really good luck with the 7mm 168 grain Accubond Accubond LR despite what people have said about them too. So far, great performance.

Attachments

• IMG_2019-01-04_07-54-09.JPG
    IMG_2019-01-04_07-54-09.JPG
    112.3 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Same results I had. That's why I went back to Barnes. One load instead of two, a short range and long range load.

Matching the right bullet to the right shot placement and distance and people will have a more harmonious outcome.
I cut an antelope in half with a 140 accubonds in my 270 WSM starting at 3350 fps and shot him way too close, pulled the trigger and there was hair everywhere, looked like an antelope bomb went of. Buddy 30 seconds before put a Berger 62 gr varmint bullet from a 22-250 into a doe and she dropped with just a pin hole entrance middle jellow. Doesn't mean one kind of bullet is better than another, might mean you picked the wrong bullet in the brand of bullet. Not every bullet in every cal works best for every capacity case.

What I found interesting in Texas last year was the 130 Berger compared to the 130 Accubond. Both shot out of two different 6.5x47's. Ten deer shot and really couldn't tell a difference between the two bullets. I was actually surprised how much damage the Accubond did. It also leaves the muzzle about 100 fps slower than my 130 Berger load. Shots were from 100 to 300 yds. Small deer body wise but all bullets passed through with a good exit wound.

Matching the right bullet to the right shot placement and distance and people will have a more harmonious outcome.
I cut an antelope in half with a 140 accubonds in my 270 WSM starting at 3350 fps and shot him way too close, pulled the trigger and there was hair everywhere, looked like an antelope bomb went of. Buddy 30 seconds before put a Berger 62 gr varmint bullet from a 22-250 into a doe and she dropped with just a pin hole entrance middle jellow. Doesn't mean one kind of bullet is better than another, might mean you picked the wrong bullet in the brand of bullet. Not every bullet in every cal works best for every capacity case.
Totally agree! I shoot antelopes with a nice mild load in my 257 Roberts. No more 270 wsm on lopes. Gotta save every bite on those goats. I love that meat. Ha

First deer I ever shot with my 300 WM (210VLD hunting 2850fps) was at 150Y. The bullet exploded w/no exit hole. It sucked that there were fragments in the meat, everywhere. It also sucked that there was not one drop of blood (no blood trail). He went 75 yards and died, but I thoroughly enjoy following a blood trail. I have hundred of the Berger's left so i'll keep using them. Time will tell me if this is just what they do, or sometimes do, or rarely do.

On the same note I shot another buck with my 270 with 140gn SSTs at the same spot (apparently bucks like to smell/walk where other bucks died). The SST shrapneled just like the Berger. Maybe I need to go back to accubombs.

Is that a barn door blown out if the side of your lope? For me, that's not a good thing. Which is why I went away from Berger's. I still shoot the 170s out of my 270 WSM, but it's my 600+ yard bullet. I just couldn't lose half my little blacktail deer meat to a bullet being so destructive. Maybe the key is to use them in a caliber where the starting velocity is 2800 not 3000+?? I just realized you started yours below 2800 and still got the grenade effect...

Actually there wasn't any rib meat on that side but no other meat was damaged. I don't eat the rib meat anyway. He dropped at the shot.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.