Berger not going splat or pencilling.

clark270

Going to try Berger classic hunters in 270 win at 2,600 fps. I should not have to worry about blow ups or pencilling right? Most shots are under 100 yards, but could be as far as 400 for deer. My other load is 130gr. @3125 fps. Thanks

Going to try Berger classic hunters in 270 win at 2,600 fps. I should not have to worry about blow ups or pencilling right? Most shots are under 100 yards, but could be as far as 400 for deer. My other load is 130gr. @3125 fps. Thanks
I have never had either of those issues with bergers. I have used them in everything from my 25-06 to my 300 rum. I always run them pretty hot.

I have never had either of those issues with bergers. I have used them in everything from my 25-06 to my 300 rum. I always run them pretty hot.
I heard of it happening at close range sometimes. Also heard that you have to check the tips that they have a small hole.

Not apples to apples, but 30-06 with 180 EH at about 80 yards (maybe) did its job. Not splat.
MV was 2725 or so. I think if you go heavy enough, this is negated.

I heard of it happening at close range sometimes. Also heard that you have to check the tips that they have a small hole.
I have heard the same thing, but never experienced that. I heard somewhere that some of the holes had something in them or the cavities weren't opened up appropriately etc. I have never experienced that myself.

I have used both the high should and right behind the shoulder. My experience has been berger does't have a problem busting through bone - I have never had one blow up on a shoulder. My 25-06 is sending the 115's close to 3300fps. I have read all the same stuff, but I keep using them because I havent had any issues.

There has been a lot of talk about the 7mm 195gr eol having a smaller hole and possible impacting its ability to expand on impact - I have also heard similar things about the 230gr .308. I haven't personally used either of those, and stuck with the 215s.

I bought a bunch of the 140's for my 270 wsm and haven't heard anything about any of the .277 bergers.

I load for a friend's 7 RUM, 180 Hybrids at about 3000 fps, he's shot probably 35 animals with them from desert sheep to elk to bears to whitetails. He told me, one time, with a whitetail at about 80 yards, he said, "It seemed like the bullet just went right through".
But he also said the deer ran about 80 yards and fell over dead, when he opened the chest cavity he said it's lungs were mush. This was with a behind the shoulder shot. I said so what if it didn't leave a baseball sized exit and spray blood everywhere, dead in 80 yards is dead in 80 yards.
I probably shot a dozen animals with them before going to the .338, and never had any problems.
If they shoot well in your gun, I would say rock and roll with them.

I have used the .257" 115 @ 3450fps MV and took deer from 40 to 488 with them. Never had a blow up, never had a penciling.
We have used the .308" 215/230 Hybrid @ 3100/3068 on elk from 50 to 882. No blow ups, no penciling. Coyotes out to 1365 don't stand a chance.
Used the 7mm 180 Hybrid @ 2996 on elk from 65 to 662 and coyotes to 775. Same thing. No blow ups, no penciling.
Used the 6.5 140 HVLDs & Hybrids @ 2930 on game from jackrabbits to deer, from 20 to 850ish. Same thing.

In case you can't tell, I love Bergers.

I'm trying to drop whitetails on the spot or less than 50 yards with a behind the shoulder shot. And shots could be 10 yards.

Anytime you shoot them in the lungs there is a chance they can run. I think that more depends on the deer and how much adreneline they have. I have always had better luck anchoring them with a high front of the shoulder shot. Either way it won't be the bergers fault.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.