Berger not going splat or pencilling.

that's what i'm saying. use a hunting bullet for hunting and a target bullet for targets.

Terminal performance of the Barnes is why I found Berger's, never will go back for elk, I'll shoot smaller game with Barnes but never again on elk, what a suck fest!!

Ive shot whitetails, muleys and elk with bergers 6.5 140, 7mm 195, 308 180, 338 250 and neve had a problem close or far. After all the negative stuff I read it took a little while to get over being nervous about them. Totally comfortable with them now that Ive seen what they do first hand.

I use bergers in a 6mm ai, 280 ai, and 300 rum never had a problem. I've killed antelope, deer and elk from 25yds to 707yds with very good results.

I use the 130g Classic hunter at 3000fps as my standard 270 deer load. Probably one of the best bullets for deer in a 270 from 10-500 yards. My previous favorite was the Sierra 140HPBT Gameking also at 3000fps. Currently I am using a 150g TBT at 3350fps in my 270/300WM but exit holes are not as impressive(all DRT tho'). I may try the 130g TBT at 3500fps as I have a pile of them. I have also used the 130g VLD at around 3200fps from my 270 Sherman-results were similarly impressive like the 130g Classic Hunter.

Sp101 thanks. I killed most of my deer with the 150 core lokt about 100. My new barrel doesn't like them. I have been using nosler balistic tips. Some deer still make it about 100 yards. And makes a mess if you hit the shoulder. But drops them right there. Thinking serria sp or hallow points. Or just start neck/head shooting. Again.

Mine liked the 130 Core Lokt better than the 150's. Federal Fusions shoot really well too for the purpose. I don't shoot my 270 as much any more just because of playing around with other rifles. I want to try some Hammers, but haven't decided which caliber to start with.

I know the Berger 130gr OTM is not a good choice in 6.5...I know it's a "self defense" bullet but thought it would do fine in a 6.5 CM. I'm running them pretty fast at 2900 fps but it the will not make it all the way through a small WT deer. My wife shot a hog and the deer. No blood trail on either lost both...buzzards found both. I was able to recover the bullet on the deer so I know exactly where it was hit...Perfect as usual, she puts it where it's supposed to every time!

Amy way the bullet stopped before it reached the muscle of the off shoulder.
2018-12-20 23.41.06.png

The backward "C" is where the bullet stopped. I had moved the shoulder forward to find it.

300wm 165gr Berger 323yds shot 300lb Aoudad...pass through .30 hole in and out...20yds tops, but not a drop of blood any where. None from the nose, mouth or either hole (that goes for all three animals). Didn't open it up to see what the inside looked like, so can't say anything except glad it fell quickly. No way it could have tracked.

All shot were crease tight against the back of the shoulder (in and out...or where it should have came out).

With not be using the OTM in CM on anything with a heart beat (deer and hogs)...

I will still use their hunting bullets...use the 135 Hunter in my 264wm

i guess after 20 years and only two failures, due to poor shooting on my part ill stick with the barnes. i've had multiple failures with other name brand bullets. even tested their hybrid target bullets with the same results. their hunting vld's are target vld's with thinner jackets. they started advertsing them as hunting bullets, after finding out some of their customers were using them as hunting bullets. barnes has let the way in mono bullets and others are following suite, things, .can evolve and improve over time. i hunt for meat as well and dont need excessive bloodshot meat or worse yet a lost animal.

The 130 Berger hunting has worked very good on deer for me. Shoot them out of a 6.5x47 at 2950 fps.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.