Anybody regret NOT going 338?

A troll? Hahahahahahahahaha!!!!!! You're funny! No, I am far from a troll, I can assure you.

Dude, you have not read the last few posts I've made have you.....My comments were intentionally to rile you up.....I even stated so,

This and the posts you refer to above are indeed trolling Rock Star. You yourself called it "Stirring the pot" and I assure you the majority of the members here would rather not read this kind of worthless crap. Why don't you take it somewhere else.lightbulb

Jeff

For what its worth.....

I'm sure most of the folks on this site have watched this video of Gunwerks Aaron Davidson's 12 year old son Danner smacking a nice bull elk at 1376 yards with his 7mm mag:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIn1G8BeUuc]12-Year-Old Wallops Bull Elk at 1376 YARDS! - Long Range Hunting - YouTube[/ame]

Its an impressive shot.....12 year old or not.

For what its worth.....

I'm sure most of the folks on this site have watched this video of Gunwerks Aaron Davidson's 12 year old son Danner smacking a nice bull elk at 1376 yards with his 7mm mag:

12-Year-Old Wallops Bull Elk at 1376 YARDS! - Long Range Hunting - YouTube

Its an impressive shot.....12 year old or not.

That was a good shot, but he missed the first shot and the bull ran off when hit on the second shot. I'm not going to question Arron's judgement or ethics because it's not my place. He's a big boy and can make his own decisions. That said, I would not have attempted that shot on a bull elk at that distance with that rifle and bullet. Maybe a deer, but not a bull elk.

Here on the other hand is a bull shot @ 1314 yds with a 338 "overkill" rifle. The difference in performance is clear and a first shot hit.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDp-1XkSDIE"]2010 DAD'S ELK - YouTube[/ame]

Nice!!!

Now that's why I want a Remington 700 Sendero SF 338 RUM to go with and complement my twin Remington 700 Sendero SF 7mm STWs. :D

What kind of laser rangefinder is Shawn using in the video?

It looks like a Zeiss Spotting Scope that he's using.

Last edited:
Did you read his whole post? Of course a properly placed bullet, etc will get the job done. Since when did we put a 1000 yd limit on shooting game?

Lots of areas have less than 1000 yard hunting opportunities and what if someone chooses to limit his hunting distance to 1000 yards? I believe the question was hypothetical as was my answer.

What makes it easier to hit something is the accuracy and reliability of your rifle and load and the shooter. Generally speaking, heavier rifles are going to be more accurate and consistent at longer ranges. That's a fact. There's always a trade off. The smaller and lighter you go the more you will sacrifice at LR. That's a fact. Large high BC bullets do better at long range than lighter bullets. That's a fact. if someone makes a marginal on an animal @ 1000 (or any range), the larger bullet will cause more trauma and collateral damage than the smaller bullet. That's a fact.
Good choice, but a 338 Lapua will improve your odds at longer distance. That's a fact.

I talked about rifle weight because it is part of the picture. I fully understand the dynamics that a 16 pound rifle is more stable than a 8 pound rifle. Did something I said make you question that understanding?

The best bullets in 308 and 338 are the 230 and 300 Berger bullets.
Between the 300Win and the 338Lapua. They drift 55 and 50 inches respectively at 1000 yards....You call that an advantage? If you point the 230s they have less drift....5 inches of total drift is NOTHING! Below 10MPH there isn't even one click difference.
How about the cost of shooting a 338Lapua? Is that an advantage? The 300Win is 1/2 the cost to shoot of the 338Lapua. If 2 guys spend he same amount of money shooting who will be the better shot? The 338 Lapua shooter?
Probably not.

I agree about the bigger bore doing more damage. Did I suggest otherwise?
Did I say I don't own 338s and bigger (much bigger) bores.

Moose are probably easier to kill than a big bull elk. Not much LR hunting for moose in the lower 48.
You have clearly never killed a big Alaskan/Yukon bull in the rut.

Totally your choice, but that doesn't make it THE RIGHT choice for everyone. some guys can lug around a 16 lb rifle. If someone can't lug around a 16 lb rifle, how are they going to pack out a 900 lb Bull?
So are you suggesting a 16 pound rifle is ideal for everything? Jumping whitetail in heavy cover (as per my example), sheep at 9000 feet, the African brush...Really? There is a big difference between lugging a 16 pound rifle and being quick with it at the end of a long day.
You assume I dont own and use 16 pound rifles?
You assume I don't comfortably pack out 120+ pounds at a time?

You attempted to pick apart my post with no consideration to its thought process....and attempted some sort of odd internet bushwack....You brought nothing of value and come across like you only have one rifle?
If you have a point to make...make it.

The 338 Lapua has value, but you come across like another new supporter owner that has never pulled the trigger? I have shot the 338 Lapua since its introduction in the 80s and have a firm and realistic grasp of its abilities. I am here to assure you that the 338Lapua is not magic dust at 1000 yards.

Wow, that sure makes a strong point for an edge.

How would recoil be in a 14-15 lb edge with a ported type break be? I have ordered CSR muscle break already for the build.

If possible how would it compare to 11 lb 270 wsm with no break @ max loads shooting 140 gr pills?

Wow, that sure makes a strong point for an edge.

How would recoil be in a 14-15 lb edge with a ported type break be? I have ordered CSR muscle break already for the build.

If possible how would it compare to 11 lb 270 wsm with no break @ max loads shooting 140 gr pills?
If it means anything, i am 120 lbs and 5'1" and 14 years old, i shoot a 338 Lapua using 280 grain bullets from a 14.5 lb savage with its okay brake, with a muscle brake i suspect recoil would be much less.

I agree, but it has no bearing on the OPs question.

Sorry if this post bothered you, it is off the OP's question, a little, but he did ask about a .338 so these video's are of value to represent the difference when you go past 1000. I gave a real world answer to the best of my personal experience on the first page.

Jeff

X-Man,

You implied in a very general way that the lighter the rifle, the easier it would be to hit your target. That is just not accurate. The OP included elk on the menu, not just whitetail. If you notice, I haven't made any recommendation at all to the OP as to specific cartridge. IMO, that's a subjective decision he will have to make. I just brought up some stats and facts.

If it was me looking at the same parameters, I would choose the 300 RUM in a Sendero type of configuration which weighs about 12 lbs topped with a NF scope and carrying a Harris bi-pod. This is in fact what I trek around the mountains and plains with and it is very capable of accurate consistent 1K shots when dialed in with a good load. The 300 WM can do it and the RUM can do it better and 338 can do it better yet. My compromise is the RUM at present time and one I feel very comfortable with. I may decide to upgrade to a Lapua or equal someday. I guarantee you (for the sake of other readers) I will never down grade to a 7mm when it comes to very long range, 1K, elk hunting. Can the 7 do it? Yup, but I feel a whole lot better pulling the trigger on a 1K elk with a big 300 or better.

The golf club analogy is an interesting one. A nine iron will get you 90-100 yds and a driver will get you 250-300. You might pick a 5 iron because it's easier for you on the fairway, but you just wont get 3 Wood results. Always a trade off.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.