What is the rifle you passed by that you regret not buying

dgr416

I have have many rifles that I passed buy but two from the same guy really made me wish I had bought them both .They were a weathetby V in 338-378 kt and a original 1895 Winchester in 405 win.He wanted $1500 for both and they were in super good shape .A friend bought the 338-378 kt and converted it to full 338-378 Weatherby. THAT 405 looked new so did the other one .That was in 1998 back when a dollar was worth something.

I have have many rifles that I passed buy but two from the same guy really made me wish I had bought them both .They were a weathetby V in 338-378 kt and a original 1895 Winchester in 405 win.He wanted $1500 for both and they were in super good shape .A friend bought the 338-378 kt and converted it to full 338-378 Weatherby. THAT 405 looked new so did the other one .That was in 1998 back when a dollar was worth something.
Excellent condition Pre 64 Winchester 375 H&H w/old time scope & mounts. 1976 asking price was $500.

This week? This year? Ever?

Could probably answer each. The 2016 clearance Adirondacks in 338 federal 300blk out, all the blow out fieldcrafts, a model seven stainless in 6mm. The 750 dollar stainless 375 win 70 around Christmas, several more cz 455 stainless rifles when the were cleared out. When wal mart kodiak used to sell 379 dollar 1022 magnums... should bought way more.

Basically all the guns I couldn't afford in college or while I was putting the wife through about a decade of school. Seems like my rifle tastes peaked between 05 and 16, now everything I want is a discontinued collectors item.

Last edited:
Pre-64 in 300 H&H, all original with box, paperwork and original receipt for $600 at an estate sale. I let a cousin talk me into letting him buy it, he never shot it or purchased ammo for it that I know of.

When he had a sudden heart attack and passed, I quizzed his girlfriend about it and his other guns, I received the I know nothing reply. His dad was able to find the Pre-64 and his Gen 1 Glock 19 in a pawn shop. It took a literal court order for him to get those two back.

From day one of him convincing me to let him buy it, I regretted it. His dad got sick and by the time I heard about it, his daughter had liquidated everything he owned.

All of them that I didn't buy 😢

In all seriousness, mine wasn't a rifle. It was a BT-99, the original with the beavertail forend. Picked it up, shot a practice round with it from the 25 yard line. Ran all 25 targets....the gun felt like an extension of my body. $900 was a lot of money for a junior in high school. I still kick myself.

Pre-64 in 300 H&H, all original with box, paperwork and original receipt for $600 at an estate sale. I let a cousin talk me into letting him buy it, he never shot it or purchased ammo for it that I know of.

When he had a sudden heart attack and passed, I quizzed his girlfriend about it and his other guns, I received the I know nothing reply. His dad was able to find the Pre-64 and his Gen 1 Glock 19 in a pawn shop. It took a literal court order for him to get those two back.

From day one of him convincing me to let him buy it, I regretted it. His dad got sick and by the time I heard about it, his daughter had liquidated everything he owned.
Quite a story and sorry that one got away. Had me thinking so I looked at GB and there are two of them up now. Here is one:

Man I try to forget those regrets!
Most of my regrets/bad memories are from college days when I could not afford to buy my childhood guns or didn't realize that they where being sold while I was gone. I'll never forget it and it made me a sentimental freak because of it. I will never do that to my girls!

Last edited: