Anybody ever heard of a 338-06 RCBS?

Coyoteee

So I just picked up a 700 Rem from an fella ive known for several years and he said it's chambered as above. I've heard of 338-06AI and 338-06 A Square. As near as I can measure the case it's 2.03" to the shoulder. IT doesn't have any dies, except for 338WM, he said he ran a 30-06 case thro the WM resizing die to get the neck size right, and then fire formed from there, and seated the bullet with the WM seater die. I'm not afraid of it, just would like to get dies for it so I can resize properly, but I've never heard of an rcbs improved case

Seems odd he did not provide any brass or loaded ammunition for it. 338-06 is not unheard of at all. Also, so he described what he claimed was how he formed brass. Did you ask how he re-sized it after his "process" to form it? Cerrosafe will give you all you need to know. If it is chambered "special" you can have dies made for it.
Edit,

He only ever neck sized it. He gave me some brass that's loaded ready to fire-form, also some that's been reloaded after fire-forming, all of which I will take apart cuz I don't know what's in there, and he can't remember, no notes, it's been sitting in a closet for 20 years.

I'm in Canada, so I don't know if anyone does that here, I can likely get a mold made, and send it south if anyone knows who can make the dies for me.

So I just picked up a 700 Rem from an fella ive known for several years and he said it's chambered as above. I've heard of 338-06AI and 338-06 A Square. As near as I can measure the case it's 2.03" to the shoulder. IT doesn't have any dies, except for 338WM, he said he ran a 30-06 case thro the WM resizing die to get the neck size right, and then fire formed from there, and seated the bullet with the WM seater die. I'm not afraid of it, just would like to get dies for it so I can resize properly, but I've never heard of an rcbs improved case
Thanks a lot for the intel, guys. I'll get some cerrosafe, do up a mold and send it in to get dies made.

Heres what it looks like, 30-06 on the R

Attachments

• IMG_2211.jpeg
    IMG_2211.jpeg
    342 KB · Views: 58
If you are not afraid of it before you pay a penny or get money back and pay after he fire form a piece of brass for you. You stand back and watch then get that fired brass right out of the gun. Problem resolved. To me with information provided....I would be spooked of this guys technique and not shoot anything in it myself until I poured a chamber mold. I'm not a 5hr per loaded round reloader.....this ole boy causes me a lot of concern.