7mm???

haha!! roninflag thanks for the heads up i was looking at it.

wildrose, my savage 111 was a 300wm could i use it as a repeater, or would it have to be a single shot?

haha!! roninflag thanks for the heads up i was looking at it.

wildrose, my savage 111 was a 300wm could i use it as a repeater, or would it have to be a single shot?
I'm not a savage guy. I suspect you'd have enough length for a repeater but one of the savage gurus here will be able to answer you better.

You certainly could go straight to a 7mm Rem mag with just a barrel change.

The 300wm is a great cartridge in it's own right though so you are in effect taking a step down going to any of the 7mm's from it.

If it's a shooter I think I'd instead just start over and build another one from the ground up if you can't find a decent used one for the money and have two.

Disclaimer I currently own three 300wm's and 3 7mm STW's and I"m actually considering one more of each at present. Why? I have no idea, hell I can't shoot everything I have now.

The 284 is the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.

It's very close to the 7mm Rem.

The STW can be built on any long magnum action.

Visit our 7mm STW group thread and you can learn a whole lot in a hurry.

Personally as far as I'm concerned there are only two 7mm's, the 7mm Rem mag and 7mm STW, the rest are just fluff HA!

The best thing about the .284win is that it can be necked down to 6.5 gun)
Wild, while I own multiples of each 7RM & 7STW, let's not get too hasty......The .280 AI is one dirty bird, too, when you factor in the limitations of the standard bolt-faced modded .280 Rem case capacity...

I built my 284 win off of a savage 116 LA. I throated it for the 195 EOL, but i can run the 162 amaxs to 2857 fps from my 26" barrel. I use necked up lapua 6.5x284 brass. I was putting 1/2 MOA groups at 750 yards a couple weeks ago. Ballistically, it is deadly on deer to 1k+ a little more. And with the 168 grain Barnes LRX its good on elk to 600 yards. All my rounds will fit in the mag.

When you put in your sig line, remember that is very close in performance to your 280 AI.
They all are.....7mm-08, .280 AI, 7RM, and 7STW.

However, here's how I look at it:

Standard bolt face SA

7mm-08 is fast with 140's, but loses momentum quickly with 168+.

Standard bolt face LA

.280 AI sends 168's ~2850, and sends 180's around the same speed that the 7mm-08 sends 140's.

Magnum bolt face LA

My 7RM sends 168's at 3,000, and 180's around the same speed as the .280 AI sends 168's.

My 7STW sends 168's at 3136, and 180's at the speed the 7RM sends 168's, which is around 3,000 fps.

So, basically each one of them is a truly a step up. Which is why I have all of those calibers (.280 AI build in progress....Not complete yet).

They all are.....7mm-08, .280 AI, 7RM, and 7STW.

However, here's how I look at it:

Standard bolt face SA

7mm-08 is fast with 140's, but loses momentum quickly with 168+.

Standard bolt face LA

.280 AI sends 168's ~2850, and sends 180's around the same speed that the 7mm-08 sends 140's.

Magnum bolt face LA

My 7RM sends 168's at 3,000, and 180's around the same speed as the .280 AI sends 168's.

My 7STW sends 168's at 3136, and 180's at the speed the 7RM sends 168's, which is around 3,000 fps.

So, basically each one of them is a truly a step up. Which is why I have all of those calibers (.280 AI build in progress....Not complete yet).
The biggest difference is that with the STW you add a coupe of inches of barrel and it comes into it's prime due to the added case capacity.

That's interesting.... kinda like saying the STW is to the 300 RUM what a tricycle is to a Ninja. But hey.... ya don't really need a 300 RUM... or an STW to kill deer @ 500 yds.
Indeed, which is why I also pointed out that going from the 300wm down to any of the 7's is really a step down in many ways.

This discussion is about the various 7's however and how they compare.

That's interesting.... kinda like saying the STW is to the 300 RUM what a tricycle is to a Ninja. But hey.... ya don't really need a 300 RUM... or an STW to kill deer @ 500 yds.
Mark, lets not go down that road...He was just making a joke.

Also, we're comparing 7's to 7's.....Not 7's to .30's.

I'll offer up my ignorance here, but what about the 7mm/300 Win Mag wildcat?

It definitely outshines the 7mm RM, though I'm not sure how it fares against the 7mm STW?

Anyway, since the OP already shoots the 300 WM, maybe he has access to some brass which could easily be necked down to 7mm?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.