7mm

May I suggest you and dad get a Model 70 Black Shadow in 7mm Rem Mag. These guns are plain black steel and stock and come with standard factory 26" barrel and are a great cheap way to get into long range hunting. But they are still a Winchester and shoot like a laser. Usually they run 450.00 to 650.00 online or in gun shops. Good luck.

+1 for the Model-70 Winchester. Tho, Id go with the Win Model-70 Coyote or the New Coyote Light. AWESOME rifle with a great barrel, and stock from the factory.(winchester.com) Give em a look. I love my model-70's. Easily adjustable triggers, Great fit and finnish, and feel, and an asortment of makers of custom parts.
The Rem Sendero or the Weatherby/Howa Sub M.O.A. would be my next choice. All 3 are great quality rifles. Known to be Accurate, and completely customisable as you grow in the sport.
By handloading you can make most any brand of rifle shoot well unless you get a lemon. So youve got that part covered. The keys in choosing a rifle for L/R are to buy a quality rifle that is accurate completely customisable and feels good to you.
Youve recived great advise from everyone so far. Next is to go put your hands on as many of the brands mentoined as you can and or shoot as many as you can. See what you like and what feels best to you.
Most everyone here on L/R/H has an opinion on wich brand is best for this reason or that, or personal preferance for this or that. Most all the members here are shooters and know what theyre talking about when it comes to L/R shooting and offer great advise based on experience. Opinions vary, but at the end of the day YOU need to be happy with YOUR choice.
The 7mag (weather its Rem mag, or WSM) is a great choice for L/R, with moderately light recoil compared to some others. Good luck:)

Last edited:
i live in mesa, az. and again thanks for all the help, im makin all the money i can, i think some of my other guns are gunna have to go cause im sure once i get this, it will be almost the only thing i shoot. keep the advice coming

I say go with the savage it is a great cheap shooter right out of the box. I have 2 of them 1 in 7mm mag and one .270. My 12 year old son loves to shoot both of them and has been shooting them both well since he was 10. There is no way you can go wrong with a savage for your first project. JRW

so im gunna go with either a savage or a rem 700, but now i am looking for a scope, i will probably go leupold just cause i cant afford nf or huskemaw just yet. and once i get my gun i want to start practicing asap. so what leupold scopes you recommend? one of the vx's? something in the 4-600 dollar range. thanks

Last edited:
Look for a used Leupold in the LR model with the 30mm tube and side focus. You will be very happy. I have a 6.5-20x40mm that I love. I sent it back for M1 knobs but would only do the elevation if I had it to do over.They are light and function great. If something ever happens, send it back! I've purchased a NF for my newest project but still think the Leupold is the best value and a great scope. I do not think the Mark 4 is worth the extra money, but that is just my opinion.

Lots of good advice! My personal choice would be the Savage LRH or Rem Sendero. I would look closely at the Zeiss conquest with target turrets for scope choice. Good to see some of the younger generation joining in! We need this in our sport. Good luck with your project and God bless!.......Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts