7MM WSM or 7MM RSAUM

Go with the 7saum, trust me. I just changed out my Tikka T3 from a 300wsm to a 7saum. I love it. My brother has a GAP 7wsm, and he wishes he had the 7saum. Midway has tons of Norma and Nosler brass, so don't worry about a lack of brass being an issue. I highly recommend using a long action so you can get either a .09" or even a .18" freebore to load those VLDs out long. A short action will constrict your OAL to 2.88", when you may need 2.9" to 3.1"

For a Remington sa go with the saum and install a wyatts extended magazine box. It will get you 2.95" in the magazine. I have a 7mm wsm being barreled now but it's on a MRC 1999 action which will give me the room in the magazine to seat 168gr vlds with the base at the body/shoulder juction and really use the larger case. I'm on my fourth 7mm wsm and love the chambering and just bought loaded ammo and pulled it down for brass. I also have a 6.5 rsaum using the 7mm rsaum case. Like it too.

Last edited:
evening, I have a haunting question concerning the making of the WSM line of brass

what happened at Winchester for them to drop the line of WSM brass. Does anybody

have an answer?? I heard the subject was monies and greed??

Just Countrygun)

Good question but why did "everyone" stop producing 7WSM brass? Federal is still apparently making the brass but you sure can't find any.

I've sent more than one message to Lapua who seems to continuously expand their line but doesn't seem interested in the 7WSM. Just grabbed some of their 7-08 brass which is a new-comer in their line.

I don't know that Winchester has permanently dropped making the 7mm wsm brass but they haven't made a run since the start of the sandy hook run on everything but they haven't made a lot of low volume cases since then. I bought three boxes of loaded 7mm wsm to pull down and then found 220 pieces of new ww 7mm wsm on one of the forums. I have 280 new and 40 five times fired brass on hand. I would jump all over some lapua 7mm wsm if they were to make a run though.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.