7mm???

They all are.....7mm-08, .280 AI, 7RM, and 7STW.

However, here's how I look at it:

Standard bolt face SA

7mm-08 is fast with 140's, but loses momentum quickly with 168+.

Standard bolt face LA

.280 AI sends 168's ~2850, and sends 180's around the same speed that the 7mm-08 sends 140's.

Magnum bolt face LA

My 7RM sends 168's at 3,000, and 180's around the same speed as the .280 AI sends 168's.

My 7STW sends 168's at 3136, and 180's at the speed the 7RM sends 168's, which is around 3,000 fps.

So, basically each one of them is a truly a step up. Which is why I have all of those calibers (.280 AI build in progress....Not complete yet).

Yes they all are a step up, some bigger steps than others. The 284 has the same capacity as the 280. The AI increase the capacity by about 4 gr of H2O. The difference in velocity is probably less than 50 fps. The 280 AI is a good cartridge but for what to OP is looking for, the 284 is a very good fit and I'll take Lapua brass any time I can get it.

I'll offer up my ignorance here, but what about the 7mm/300 Win Mag wildcat?

It definitely outshines the 7mm RM, though I'm not sure how it fares against the 7mm STW?

Anyway, since the OP already shoots the 300 WM, maybe he has access to some brass which could easily be necked down to 7mm?
It's pretty close to the STW from what I've read.

Mark, lets not go down that road...He was just making a joke.

Also, we're comparing 7's to 7's.....Not 7's to .30's.

I could have compared it to the 7 AM... my point was it's irrelevant to the OP's requirement. If big cartridge cool factor and velocity is a factor, then that's another story. And I'm not knocking big cartridges.... I like my 300 RUM and being able to sling big pills a long way.

And... you always pay the price the bigger you go.

I could have compared it to the 7 AM... my point was it's irrelevant to the OP's requirement. If big cartridge cool factor and velocity is a factor, then that's another story. And I'm not knocking big cartridges.... I like my 300 RUM and being able to sling big pills a long way.

And... you always pay the price the bigger you go.
That is definitely true!

I'll offer up my ignorance here, but what about the 7mm/300 Win Mag wildcat?

It definitely outshines the 7mm RM, though I'm not sure how it fares against the 7mm STW?

Anyway, since the OP already shoots the 300 WM, maybe he has access to some brass which could easily be necked down to 7mm?
I knew a couple of guys who shot that, a couple of more who shot the 7mm x 300wby. None of them ever got a whole lot of traction.

There's so little actual good data out there on either a guy would have to really be dedicated to it to want to go with one or so I'd think.

It's not like a guy cannot sell used brass in good condition.

thanks for all the replies.
i think im going to study up more on the 7mmRM and the 284, choose from one of those two. Im just starting the long range thing, and from what ive read here i think that one of these will be a good place for me to start, and learn.

thanks again for the info

i think im going to study up more on the 7mmRM and the 284, choose from one of those two. Im just starting the long range thing, and from what ive read here i think that one of these will be a good place for me to start, and learn.

Yep, they are. I lean to the rem but that's just my prejudice due to famiiarity. I shot it for 30 years as my primary hunting round before I stepped up to the STW.

With your platform, you're never more than one barrel change anyhow from the next step up in evolution.

I think you are on the right track and both of those will work great for you!

I did also want to throw out one other 7mm, the 7RUM. Not many people talk about it, but it will give you more speed then the 7STW. It does burn more powder (to the extent of less than 5 cents per round more) and it will probably burn a barrel a little quicker, but just another 7mm option that is out there!

7RM will be alot easier to find brass for locally. Also, cheap factory ammo will be easily available for you to shoot just for the brass, if you run out.

Both are great calibers, but I always stuck with the 7RM, and been hunting with that caliber for 10 years. Never 1 issue, provided I made a clean shot and did my part.

I think you are on the right track and both of those will work great for you!

I did also want to throw out one other 7mm, the 7RUM. Not many people talk about it, but it will give you more speed then the 7STW. It does burn more powder (to the extent of less than 5 cents per round more) and it will probably burn a barrel a little quicker, but just another 7mm option that is out there!

The negatives of the 7RUM make it less desireable than the STW....To me.

While the STW is no slouch it doesn't have the best barrel life, being a large magnum...But it is still better than the 7RUM. The STW is also a more efficient cartridge than the RUM as far as powder consumption vs actual velocity goes.

Personally I choose the STW over the 7RUM. Both are good calibers, but for the pro's and con's I'll take an STW anyday.

For the record, this doesn't include the 300 RUM or larger...They are more efficient and get better barrel life than the 7RUM.

If I decided to build a 7 RUM, I would order 2 barrels and have them both chambered, threaded and crowned at the same time so I had minimal down time after buring out the first barrel.... seriously.

It is an awesome cartridge and RL33 makes it a lot more efficient.

The negatives of the 7RUM make it less desireable than the STW....To me.

While the STW is no slouch it doesn't have the best barrel life, being a large magnum...But it is still better than the 7RUM. The STW is also a more efficient cartridge than the RUM as far as powder consumption vs actual velocity goes.

Personally I choose the STW over the 7RUM. Both are good calibers, but for the pro's and con's I'll take an STW anyday.

For the record, this doesn't include the 300 RUM or larger...They are more efficient and get better barrel life than the 7RUM.

Not to get sidetracked here, but I understand where you are coming from. However, one thing I cannot ever understand is why the 7 RUM is so bad compared to the 7 STW. When comparing the cost of barrel life and extra cost of powder compared to the extra velocity you get (give or take 100fps), why is it so much different than the 300 Win versus the 300 RUM? Granted, you get closer to a 200fps gain with the 300RUM, but it is also a much bigger difference in the amount of powder you burn and barrel life. Just seems a little weird to me.

I don't own either one of the 7's, but if I ever did I would think that the extra five cents per round for the RUM and maybe 100 rounds less barrel life would be well worth the extra 100fps. Just my opinion I guess...

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.