7MM WSM or 7MM RSAUM

700Sendero

Ok guys, first post here. I'm working on a build for a midweight hunting/long range rig. It will be on a Rem 700 short action with a #3 or 4 contour Hart barrel. I'd like some info on the WSM vs the RSAUM. With the limited availability of WSM brass I'm leaning toward the RSAUM. Will I notice the diff. In velocity? Thanks in advance.

The WSM has a slight advantage in powder capacity. With that said there is very little difference in velocity and performance. If brass was not so hard to get for the 7 WSM I would recommend it, but
if you can find plenty of 7 SAUM brass go for it. Just Buy several 100 rounds before you commit to a build.

Both the 7 WSM and the 7 SAUM are longer than the 300s so it cant be used for the 7s unless you want to give up some neck length.

J E CUSTOM

Thanks for the help guys. This pretty much made up my mind to go with the SAUM. Now, does anyone have any idea of velocity out of a 26" tube? Probably will be shooting 162 A-maxs for shooting and 160 Accubonds for my hunting bullet.

Something else to consider...

The 7mm RSAUM is nothing more than a short 280 Ackley... The case capacity is identical.... Well, that depends on bullet being used, but with 160's... Its within .5 grain.

Brass wouldn't be a worry that way...

Velocity from either is gonna be over 3,000 fps... 3,050 - 3,075 fps I'd say.

My 24" 280 Ackley gets 3,003 fps with 160's seated to normal length (3.34")

I've found 3 different places with SAUM brass in stock and nowhere has WSM brass. That's why I started looking at the SAUM was brass availability. I like the fact that your burning less powder for really close to the same velocity.

The 7mm RSAUM is nothing more than a short 280 Ackley... The case capacity is identical.... Well, that depends on bullet being used, but with 160's... Its within .5 grain.

+1, I have a 7rsaum nitrited barrel, Savage large shank with under 300 rounds down it. I also have a.284 Shehane with 800 rounds down it. When one of these are gone my next 7mm will be a .280 AI.

Thanks for the help guys. This pretty much made up my mind to go with the SAUM. Now, does anyone have any idea of velocity out of a 26" tube? Probably will be shooting 162 A-maxs for shooting and 160 Accubonds for my hunting bullet.

That's pretty much what I shoot out of my 7 saum Browning, along with 168 vld's.
For a few years this rifle had a 26 inch barrel and I got 2973 average fps with 160 AB.
This load was easy on the brass and right in the accuracy notch. Last summer I shortened the barrel. Now it's 24.5 in. long. And guess what, velocity didn't change. With an Extreme Spread of 24 fps...any velocity change is lost in the ES.

Good Luck with your build. Hope you like it as much as I like mine.

It would be tough build on a short action, don't ya think???

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.