7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

I will tell you my experience is a night force. That is my personal preference. 7STW will get no flack for me because Leupold is a good scope. After shooting this weekend with wild Rose and seeing his glass on top of his multiple guns, Leopold is a good clean glass. Again it matters which level you buy. If you buy the cheapest one out there you're not gonna get the best class for sure. Just remember that and put on it what you want. I would try multiple different scopes And reticles to find out what fits you best. At the end of the day, as long as you are happy, and you can shoot little tiny groups, you have what you wanted. The problem is all scopes look great in the show room. Where I find the night force shines over my Leopold is at first light in the dark.

Just my opinion. But I think you have many good options and you will make the right choice. Just ask us. We are here to help.
I'm gonna piggyback a bit here with Mario.

I have a pile of VXIII and VX-3's and they get the job done. I've been slowly replacing them with VX-6's.

I'm as likely to shoot something at fifty yards as I am 500-750yds or farther so it's real easy to have too much on the bottom end.

With that in mind after buying a couple of the VX-6's in 4-24x52 with the Boone and Crockett and TMOA reticles I came across a good deal on a couple in 3-18x50 and I could not be happier with any of them. As a rule 10x at 1000yds is the minimum needed for deer/elk sized game so with either you have more than enough magnification for anything from real close to a thousand yards.

You can spend more but there's no need to because the VX-6's will do anything you need.

Once you settle on a good load you can even get a free CDS dial made that will exactly fit to your drop chart. It won't be exact but it will probably be close enough for all you need. If there's a lot of difference in elevations where you hunt you can always get multiple custom dials for the elevation extremes.

I'm gonna piggyback a bit here with Mario.

I have a pile of VXIII and VX-3's and they get the job done. I've been slowly replacing them with VX-6's.

I'm as likely to shoot something at fifty yards as I am 500-750yds or farther so it's real easy to have too much on the bottom end.

With that in mind after buying a couple of the VX-6's in 4-24x52 with the Boone and Crockett and TMOA reticles I came across a good deal on a couple in 3-18x50 and I could not be happier with any of them. As a rule 10x at 1000yds is the minimum needed for deer/elk sized game so with either you have more than enough magnification for anything from real close to a thousand yards.

You can spend more but there's no need to because the VX-6's will do anything you need.

Once you settle on a good load you can even get a free CDS dial made that will exactly fit to your drop chart. It won't be exact but it will probably be close enough for all you need. If there's a lot of difference in elevations where you hunt you can always get multiple custom dials for the elevation extremes.
Hey wildrose,
Thanks for the info man. Your not the fist person to recommend the vx-6. Also the CDS dials seem like the fit for a newbie like me when I find out an optimal round. You wouldn' happen to have a link to where your finding the ones your recommeding? Seems like every place I look they are saying discontinued and recommnd the vx-3's

Well I actually just got in from having it checked out. He was impressed and rattled off A lot of stuff I don't understand yet...lol. told him my story and what my aunt bought it for and offered quadruple for it while laughing saying she got a steal on it. Said it had a timney trigger, accuracy international trigger guard and mags, 28" shulin barrel, egw 20moa rail scope mount, McMillan stock with monopod and bipod mounts. Told him I was wanting to get into long range, he said there is no getting into it...im already in. Just need a great scope to go on a great gun. Also stated that I was getting into an expensive hobby. But all in all I'm glad I got it checked out because I learned a lil bit if stuff. Next question is what kinda scope should I be looking at? He named off a few and said general rule of thumb is what ever u paid for the gun the scope should be double the price. But I got it free as a gift and probably won' find Any double free scopes laying around...lol. so what are some good ones that won't make my wife kill over dead when she sees the bill?
All I can say is that if you don't like it let me know. I have a nice custom 300 Rum I'd swap you even for it. HA!

You have a very nice rig. I have several with Shilen barrels and one with the exact same stock, "Beast" I got from Beans and it's a pleasure to shoot especially from the prone, bench, or off of sticks. They aren't a very ergonomic design for shooting in other positions but great for what it's intended.

Also, what reticle would be best for a beginner? All I have ever used was duplex. 7stw talked about varmint and boone cricket. And wildrose, I like the concept of the TMOA which is what I'm leaning towards bc it seems like less stuff in your field of view. But what would be "easier" to use. A lot of the scopes I've been looking at come in milldot,which I don't really understand. Like ive stated before I'm green and just learning. But if you used MOA for shooting, why use a reticle in milldot if it' something different?

Probably making myself look more dumb that I am when it comes to this stuff...lol

Hey wildrose,
Thanks for the info man. Your not the fist person to recommend the vx-6. Also the CDS dials seem like the fit for a newbie like me when I find out an optimal round. You wouldn' happen to have a link to where your finding the ones your recommeding? Seems like every place I look they are saying discontinued and recommnd the vx-3's
If you can afford it keep shopping and maybe go for the new VX-6 HD's. I'm sure there's more regular VX-6's to be had somewhere but it may take some looking. Be sure to check the classifieds here at LRH regularly because a lot of high end glass turns up there pretty often because guys decide they want to try something else, get a new scope for a gift, or just decide to "upgrade". Personally I think the VX-6 will do anything I ever want to do with a scope from Texas, to Alaska, Africa, and eventually Turkey when I go see Soundwaves and try to shoot one of his hairy goats.

I know for Africa and Texas the VX-6 3-18x50 is pretty much the perfect scope for anything within 50 yards or as far as I'm confident in shooting.

I had a Mark IV 6.5-20x50 and got in a real bind when my wounded Blue Wildebeest got nasty at about 15 yards and even on the lowest setting I wasn't able to really get a view of him and had to sight down the edge of the barrel to put a "finisher" in his head.

Also, what reticle would be best for a beginner? All I have ever used was duplex. 7stw talked about varmint and boone cricket. And wildrose, I like the concept of the TMOA which is what I'm leaning towards bc it seems like less stuff in your field of view. But what would be "easier" to use. A lot of the scopes I've been looking at come in milldot,which I don't really understand. Like ive stated before I'm green and just learning. But if you used MOA for shooting, why use a reticle in milldot if it' something different?

Probably making myself look more dumb that I am when it comes to this stuff...lol
Hey man don't feel bad, none of us was born knowing all of this stuff. Till I was in my late 20's I'd never owned anything fancier than an old weaver widefield (TV Screen) or Bushnell Banner and thought I had decent glass with those. I shot USO's and Leupold MKIV's in the service but never dreamed of being able to afford one.

I like both the TMOA and B&C. There's probably better overall utility with the TMOA though and once you get used to shooting it, it will become 2nd nature.

Last edited:
Hey man don't feel bad, none of us was born knowing all of this stuff. Till I was in my late 20's I'd never owned anything fancier than an old weaver widefield (TV Screen) or Bushnell Banner and thought I had decent glass with those. I shot USO's and Leupold MKIV's in the service but never dreamed of being able to afford one.

I like both the TMOA and B&C. There's probably better overall utility with the TMOA though and once you get used to shooting it, it will become 2nd nature.
Rose, and for the sake of Woosley, who is now in the hunt, for some good glass. I'll second exactly what you just said about glass, back in the day. And, I'll add good ole Redfields to.
When I was in the army, I shot a m40, that had a US optics on it, and i couldnt believe what i could see with it.
In our time, I have seen some awesome glass of recent, some affordable, some not. I've gotten used to the idea, off finding and getting the absolutely best gkass, you can afford, and add a hundred bucks to it, and that's the glass you need. I'm amazed at the reticle nowadays too.
I guess I'm a little behind times, I've no experience with the VX6.
HAPPY New year to all.

Rose, and for the sake of Woosley, who is now in the hunt, for some good glass. I'll second exactly what you just said about glass, back in the day. And, I'll add good ole Redfields to.
When I was in the army, I shot a m40, that had a US optics on it, and i couldnt believe what i could see with it.
In our time, I have seen some awesome glass of recent, some affordable, some not. I've gotten used to the idea, off finding and getting the absolutely best gkass, you can afford, and add a hundred bucks to it, and that's the glass you need. I'm amazed at the reticle nowadays too.
I guess I'm a little behind times, I've no experience with the VX6.
HAPPY New year to all.
Wow I haven't even thought about Redfield in years. How are they since Leupold bought them out?

Happy New Year to all as well

Rose,7 and Mario,
I've went a completely different direction with all of my scopes in the last two years and I know your gonna think I'm crazy but I have "Standardized" if you will to SWFA and absolutely love them for what I'm doing now

Wow I haven't even thought about Redfield in years. How are they since Leupold bought them out?

Happy New Year to all as well
Not even close. They were an item years ago, not so much now. Take Roses lead, on the glass. He'll not steer you wrong.
Also, watch the classifieds here, there's some great deals, just hafta, dig.

Rose,7 and Mario,
I've went a completely different direction with all of my scopes in the last two years and I know your gonna think I'm crazy but I have "Standardized" if you will to SWFA and absolutely love them for what I'm doing now

Don't know those. I've never heard of them or seen them. But bean you know your stuff. So I believe you.

Rose,7 and Mario,
That scope , my friend has had me look at it a time or two, myself, since we talked about it. Keep it simple. Just saw one on a used rifle too. 10x.
Another great option for Woosley!