7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Okay gents I'm looking to try the newer rl33 with 168-180 gr vlds. What is the velocity and loads you guys are using?

Hey guy, new member here.
I'm as green as green can be to long range shooting. I popped off that I wanted to get in to it so my aunt bought me a used "7mm mag" for Christmas. She bought a lot of guns from a widow and when I opened the old giant pelican case I knew this was no normal 7mm mag. But I'm not sure exactly what I have and need some expertise.
The only markings on the rifle state that it is a Remington model 700 and the serial number starting with a G.. No mention of caliber anywhere. All the optics and bipod etc. Were stripped off the gun, but there was a magazine stamped with .338 and had 3 rounds of 7mm stw in it (which i have never heard off untill i started researching it that night) after what I have read on it, I got a lil excited about 7mm stw...lol but I can' find out exactly what I have, don' know if it's custom or what but I do know that it has a McMillan stock and was in a pelican case so it leads me to believe I might have me a nice lil long range starter gun.
Sorry for the long post but I was wondering if some of yall could help me find out what I got and what I need to do as a rookie in this field.
Thanks

I'm as green as green can be to long range shooting. I popped off that I wanted to get in to it so my aunt bought me a used "7mm mag" for Christmas. She bought a lot of guns from a widow and when I opened the old giant pelican case I knew this was no normal 7mm mag. But I'm not sure exactly what I have and need some expertise.
The only markings on the rifle state that it is a Remington model 700 and the serial number starting with a G.. No mention of caliber anywhere. All the optics and bipod etc. Were stripped off the gun, but there was a magazine stamped with .338 and had 3 rounds of 7mm stw in it (which i have never heard off untill i started researching it that night) after what I have read on it, I got a lil excited about 7mm stw...lol but I can' find out exactly what I have, don' know if it's custom or what but I do know that it has a McMillan stock and was in a pelican case so it leads me to believe I might have me a nice lil long range starter gun.
Sorry for the long post but I was wondering if some of yall could help me find out what I got and what I need to do as a rookie in this field.
Thanks
Woosley, first of all, welcome to the brotherhood, but what comes to my mind, first and foremost, is that you MUST verify what you have, BEFORE, you attempt to fire it. It sounds like you MAY have a 7STW, Iit I'd be looking for a qualified gunsmith and hsve it checked. Tell him what you know, and have him make the determination, then have it stamped into the barrel.
Happy New year!

Woosley, first of all, welcome to the brotherhood, but what comes to my mind, first and foremost, is that you MUST verify what you have, BEFORE, you attempt to fire it. It sounds like you MAY have a 7STW, Iit I'd be looking for a qualified gunsmith and hsve it checked. Tell him what you know, and have him make the determination, then have it stamped into the barrel.
Happy New year!
Thanks and happy New Year as well.
Well that was my first idea also. I didn' wanna shoot it because I didn't know what it was and also being a used rifle, there is no telling how many rounds had been though it and what the condition of the inside of the barrel was. But my cousin said he wasn't a puss and fired one of the 3 rounds that came in the mag out of the case(with me standing away, behind the pickup). I got made fun of for not shooting it after he deemed it "safe". But yea when I get back in town I'm gonna try to hunt someone down to check it out the integrity because you never know if it'. A ticking time bomb or not. Just new to the east texas area and not sure of any close reputable gunsmith to my knowledge. I'll post some pictures so y'll can see what I'm dealing with.

20171225_221153.jpg
20171225_221022.jpg

This and the serial number are the only stampsView attachment 86770
Woosley, tell your cousin he's a lucky man. That could have been a catastrophic mess, but I would still have it checked. It sounds as though what you hsve, IS what you have. We have some talent here on here, tgat could verify that, and stamp it for you as well. Looks like a mighty fine piece though. Take care, and enjoy.

Woosley, tell your cousin he's a lucky man. That could have been a catastrophic mess, but I would still have it checked. It sounds as though what you hsve, IS what you have. We have some talent here on here, tgat could verify that, and stamp it for you as well. Looks like a mighty fine piece though. Take care, and enjoy.
Well I actually just got in from having it checked out. He was impressed and rattled off A lot of stuff I don't understand yet...lol. told him my story and what my aunt bought it for and offered quadruple for it while laughing saying she got a steal on it. Said it had a timney trigger, accuracy international trigger guard and mags, 28" shulin barrel, egw 20moa rail scope mount, McMillan stock with monopod and bipod mounts. Told him I was wanting to get into long range, he said there is no getting into it...im already in. Just need a great scope to go on a great gun. Also stated that I was getting into an expensive hobby. But all in all I'm glad I got it checked out because I learned a lil bit if stuff. Next question is what kinda scope should I be looking at? He named off a few and said general rule of thumb is what ever u paid for the gun the scope should be double the price. But I got it free as a gift and probably won' find Any double free scopes laying around...lol. so what are some good ones that won't make my wife kill over dead when she sees the bill?

Well I actually just got in from having it checked out. He was impressed and rattled off A lot of stuff I don't understand yet...lol. told him my story and what my aunt bought it for and offered quadruple for it while laughing saying she got a steal on it. Said it had a timney trigger, accuracy international trigger guard and mags, 28" shulin barrel, egw 20moa rail scope mount, McMillan stock with monopod and bipod mounts. Told him I was wanting to get into long range, he said there is no getting into it...im already in. Just need a great scope to go on a great gun. Also stated that I was getting into an expensive hobby. But all in all I'm glad I got it checked out because I learned a lil bit if stuff. Next question is what kinda scope should I be looking at? He named off a few and said general rule of thumb is what ever u paid for the gun the scope should be double the price. But I got it free as a gift and probably won' find Any double free scopes laying around...lol. so what are some good ones that won't make my wife kill over dead when she sees the bill?
I'm gonna get a little flack from from some, but scope, is spelled, LEUPOLD.
MY preference, for that caliber, would be a 6-18, AO, target, or Boone cricket crosshair, or varmint cross hair. Zeroed at 225, or dial. Another great scope, in the same brand, would be a 4.5-14, AO. Mark 4 rings.

Thanks
Welcome. It sounds like you have a custom built on a Rem M700.

Best advice would be to take it in to a competent gunsmith and let him check it all out before you even attempt to shoot it.

Factory ammo is not always easy to find but easily available online as is brass and of course bullets. Eventually you'll want to start loading your own though to get the most out of it possible.

It's not the "average 7mm Mag" if it's an STW it's a 7mm RM on steroids and a whole lot of fun.

I'm gonna get a little flack from from some, but scope, is spelled, LEUPOLD.
MY preference, for that caliber, would be a 6-18, AO, target, or Boone cricket crosshair, or varmint cross hair. Zeroed at 225, or dial. Another great scope, in the same brand, would be a 4.5-14, AO. Mark 4 rings.
Haha... you ain't going to catch no flack from me. I have an old Leopold that's been on my model 70 270 that' been passed down to me. My go to gun...think the last time it was zeroed was by my dad in the early 80s. I check it every year before open season and it's always been on. So I bought one for my .223 also and love them...just wasn't sure if they would be the go to for long range. Thanks I'l check the ones you listed out for sure

Welcome. It sounds like you have a custom built on a Rem M700.

Best advice would be to take it in to a competent gunsmith and let him check it all out before you even attempt to shoot it.

Factory ammo is not always easy to find but easily available online as is brass and of course bullets. Eventually you'll want to start loading your own though to get the most out of it possible.

It's not the "average 7mm Mag" if it's an STW it's a 7mm RM on steroids and a whole lot of fun.
Yea I got her checked out and he said she just needs a hat and she' ready to rock. As far as ammo goes...he looked at the rounds that came with it and said that it was a hand load and judging by the gun, the original shooter had it going on and that was probably the optimal load for that gun. But I have no way of knowing what he had in that load. But I was checking out some local pawn shops today and actualy found a box of nosler custom accubond 160gr trophy grade. Had a price of 63.95 on the box but blew the dust off them and sold them to me for 50

I will tell you my experience is a night force. That is my personal preference. 7STW will get no flack for me because Leupold is a good scope. After shooting this weekend with wild Rose and seeing his glass on top of his multiple guns, Leopold is a good clean glass. Again it matters which level you buy. If you buy the cheapest one out there you're not gonna get the best class for sure. Just remember that and put on it what you want. I would try multiple different scopes And reticles to find out what fits you best. At the end of the day, as long as you are happy, and you can shoot little tiny groups, you have what you wanted. The problem is all scopes look great in the show room. Where I find the night force shines over my Leopold is at first light in the dark.

Just my opinion. But I think you have many good options and you will make the right choice. Just ask us. We are here to help.

Yea I got her checked out and he said she just needs a hat and she' ready to rock. As far as ammo goes...he looked at the rounds that came with it and said that it was a hand load and judging by the gun, the original shooter had it going on and that was probably the optimal load for that gun. But I have no way of knowing what he had in that load. But I was checking out some local pawn shops today and actualy found a box of nosler custom accubond 160gr trophy grade. Had a price of 63.95 on the box but blew the dust off them and sold them to me for 50
Well, that's not a bad price, you have some good brass, but as Wildrose said, ammo is hard to find, brass is getting better, and loading the STW, is a cake walk, once you learn, and read what your gun wants. Most of us here can help you with that.
Wildrose said the stw, is on steroids. Better put, it is the baddest 7mm bullet in flight. There are bigger, none better!

Once you find your formula, you'll get chills every time she goes boom.
As Marioq, said, Nightforce is a great option, no doubt, they are Badass, for sure. Either one of those two options gets my nod.
I definitely recommend that you get that rifle stamped, 7STW.
ENJOY!
HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!