7mm PRC

The 7mm/375 Ruger (which I've had) isn't the same as a 7/300 PRC. I can assure you that designers at Hornady were playing with a 7mm on the 375 Ruger case long before Quality Cartridge made brass for it.

Thumb-Up-Emoticon-Yellow-Cartoon-Sign-Facial-Expression.jpg

That didn't sound right, so I just double checked. The Newton case doesn't share any similar dimensions with the PRC/Ruger case. The Newton case and chamber are smaller in every dimension.
I'm not going to Henpeck microscopic differences. Look up the 11.2X72 Schuler Improved. I'm pretty certain this is the very 1st "Version" followed by the 30 Newton then the 68s Schuler perhaps. Regardless this Case design has been around for well over 100 Years. During the 19th Century most Calibers were rather large hence the 44 Caliber Schuler. Each version changed by a few thousands here or there. Good God Man the 300 PRC is Fire Formed from the 8x68s case!

How can you assure me that? I know Hornady helped design the .375 Ruger, but how can you be sure they tried a 7mm version?

Hornady was playing with the 338 Hornady match (338 PRC) back in 2008, I have a copy of the reamer print. Hornady was working on the 300 HSM (PRC) back in 2009 I believe. The 300 RCM and 338 RCM came out around 2007 and 2008 respectively. Hornady has been necking that case up and down as well as shorter versions of it since before anyone outside the company knew it existed.

I'm not going to Henpeck microscopic differences. Look up the 11.2X72 Schuler Improved. I'm pretty certain this is the very 1st "Version" followed by the 30 Newton then the 68s Schuler perhaps. Regardless this Case design has been around for well over 100 Years. During the 19th Century most Calibers were rather large hence the 44 Caliber Schuler. Each version changed by a few thousands here or there. Good God Man the 300 PRC is Fire Formed from the 8x68s case!

Yes, you can form functional 375 Ruger brass (and all the other related cases) from 8x68s cases but they're not an exact match.
84aAbns.jpg

Left to right: RWS 8x68s case, 375 Ruger, 338/375 Ruger formed from 8x68s brass, 30 Sherman Mag from 375 Ruger brass, 6.5/375 Ruger and a 7mm LRM formed from 375 Ruger brass.

You can see the differences between the 8x68s brass and the 375 Ruger based cases. The 8x68s results in an undersized rim diameter which doesn't work with all standard .535" bolt faces. The case web is also undersized and is visible in the fire formed 338/375 Ruger case. The 8x68s cases are perfectly functional in many guns as long as the extractor will work. Or you can just use 375 Ruger brass and have the proper case dimensions without the need to fire form and have a greater internal case capacity. And to respond to the inevitable comment about the quality of Hornady brass, I've fired thousands of rounds through guns chambered in 375 Ruger based cartridges. I have over 1100 through my 375 Ruger, more than 2500 through various 338/375 Rugers, 500+ through a 6.5/375 Ruger, and 350+ through a 7mm/375 Ruger. All of this (with the exception of 100 rounds) was done with Hornady brass. I briefly played with the 8x68s case (both RWS and Norma) before deciding that it wasn't worth the effort. Hornady brass will hold up to pressures up to the 62K psi it was designed for and still hold up to 5+ firings. If you're losing primer pockets faster than that then you're operating outside the design parameters of the case and it's not the brass's fault that you're running up the pressures.

Hornady was playing with the 338 Hornady match (338 PRC) back in 2008, I have a copy of the reamer print. Hornady was working on the 300 HSM (PRC) back in 2009 I believe. The 300 RCM and 338 RCM came out around 2007 and 2008 respectively. Hornady has been necking that case up and down as well as shorter versions of it since before anyone outside the company knew it existed.

Yes, you can form functional 375 Ruger brass (and all the other related cases) from 8x68s cases but they're not an exact match.
84aAbns.jpg

Left to right: RWS 8x68s case, 375 Ruger, 338/375 Ruger formed from 8x68s brass, 30 Sherman Mag from 375 Ruger brass, 6.5/375 Ruger and a 7mm LRM formed from 375 Ruger brass.

You can see the differences between the 8x68s brass and the 375 Ruger based cases. The 8x68s results in an undersized rim diameter which doesn't work with all standard .535" bolt faces. The case web is also undersized and is visible in the fire formed 338/375 Ruger case. The 8x68s cases are perfectly functional in many guns as long as the extractor will work. Or you can just use 375 Ruger brass and have the proper case dimensions without the need to fire form and have a greater internal case capacity. And to respond to the inevitable comment about the quality of Hornady brass, I've fired thousands of rounds through guns chambered in 375 Ruger based cartridges. I have over 1100 through my 375 Ruger, more than 2500 through various 338/375 Rugers, 500+ through a 6.5/375 Ruger, and 350+ through a 7mm/375 Ruger. All of this (with the exception of 100 rounds) was done with Hornady brass. I briefly played with the 8x68s case (both RWS and Norma) before deciding that it wasn't worth the effort. Hornady brass will hold up to pressures up to the 62K psi it was designed for and still hold up to 5+ firings. If you're losing primer pockets faster than that then you're operating outside the design parameters of the case and it's not the brass's fault that you're running up the pressures.
I love real world experience. Thank you much for contributing with your real life experience and not being a parrot of what you read or heard!

I'd like to see something like this as a 7mm PRC:

7mm PRC.gif

Yes, I know it's close to the 7LRM, and even the Blaser, Similar capacity to the 7 Practical, and ...

~85gr H2O and PRC design philosophy. And if big bad Hornady comes out with it, should go and hopefully get mainstream support. One can hope. 180-195 launched comfortably 3000+ fps is what I'd like to see without going crazy overbore.

View attachment 145506
Yes, I know it's close to the 7LRM, and even the Blaser, Similar capacity to the 7 Practical, and ...

~85gr H2O and PRC design philosophy. And if big bad Hornady comes out with it, should go and hopefully get mainstream support. One can hope. 180-195 launched comfortably 3000+ fps is what I'd like to see without going crazy overbore.

That's smack dab in the middle of "7-KAM" dimensions. Only it's longer, might as well just neck down the 300-PRC Brass, it would be way easier. These Case capacities are already available in more popular Cartridges starting from the 7-300 Win Mag, and working our way down to 7x61 with all the short mags in between. It's only when we get down to the "7-6.5 PRC" (7mm-07) we regain our Sanity. "7-300 RCM-MX" / Then we are back to 7-SAUM vs 7-WSM in the short Action.

("Kamikazi" whacks brass off at Base of Neck using: 300 PRC or 6.5X68s or 8x68 Brass. Philosophy is not have a large build up of brass from moving Base of Neck Down. Now pondering the same in 300-RUM brass called "SMX") Just Whack It Off!! Suddenly the 300 Blaser and 7mm Blaser Dimensions pop up as the 300 is Whacked off at the base of the Neck and the 7 is Whacked off at the Shoulder.

Yorke-1

Like I stated previously the Brass design already existed 100 Years prior, whether Hornady (smh) was aware of it or not. In manufacturing the product has to fit the purpose and if you take into account the Rifles having different Bolt Diameters through the Last 110 Years you are Enlightened as to why those Microscopic differences You scrutinize exist. You see Today we've got it backwards, we establish a Common Rim Size and make all the Rifles fit, 100 Years ago it was the opposite. That doesn't change the basic Cartridge design. Kudos to Hornady for bringing an Already Great Design back into the Mainstream, even if it was already done 110 Years in the Ancient Past.

View attachment 145506

Have you seen the 7 Dakota? Might as well check the 7mm Weatherby and 7 STW. Those are about perfect case dimensions for a 7mm. The 7mm Blaser is real good cartridge also.

Yorke-1

Like I stated previously the Brass design already existed 100 Years prior, whether Hornady (smh) was aware of it or not. In manufacturing the product has to fit the purpose and if you take into account the Rifles having different Bolt Diameters through the Last 110 Years you are Enlightened as to why those Microscopic differences You scrutinize exist. You see Today we've got it backwards, we establish a Common Rim Size and make all the Rifles fit, 100 Years ago it was the opposite. That doesn't change the basic Cartridge design. Kudos to Hornady for bringing an Already Great Design back into the Mainstream, even if it was already done 110 Years in the Ancient Past.

If every dimension other than bore diameter is different, it's not the same case design.

I do look forward to some version of a 7 PRC or some form of the 7 Blaser or 7 Blaser Imp gaining enough popularity so there is readily available brass for a reasonable price.