7mm PRC

Hornady does differentiate; the smaller one is designated in mm & the larger in inches.

So....7 PRC versus 284 PRC?

I'm not sure that I understand where the confusion about the short-vs-long comes from. Remington didn't call the 6.5 Rem Mag or 350 Rem mag the Rem mag short and nobody gets them confused with the 7mm Rem Mag.

What I think he's getting at is the Newton doesn't get credit for the 300 PRC is all. I'm a fan of a PRC in 7mm (short Von Hoff). I was thinking of a smaller shoulder though .507". It really is no mans land as there are no readily available dies in this size in 7mm unless it's a custom.

The Newton case is different in every dimension and is actually closer to the 8x68s case. The 375 Ruger case is loosely based on the 8x68s case but has a larger diameter rim and case head.

I'm not sure that I understand where the confusion about the short-vs-long comes from. Remington didn't call the 6.5 Rem Mag or 350 Rem mag the Rem mag short and nobody gets them confused with the 7mm Rem Mag.

To play devils advocate, the only people that shoot 6.5 rem mag in the past 3 decades are into the hobby enough to not get confused by that. Further, Remingtons marketing of cartridges isn't known to be impressive, or really even adequate.

To play devils advocate, the only people that shoot 6.5 rem mag in the past 3 decades are into the hobby enough to not get confused by that. Further, Remingtons marketing of cartridges isn't known to be impressive, or really even adequate.

If there were a 300 PRC and something like 30 PRC (a short version) I'd agree it was a problem. If there's only one 6.5 PRC and one 300 PRC I don't see how what confusion there could be.

The Newton case is different in every dimension and is actually closer to the 8x68s case. The 375 Ruger case is loosely based on the 8x68s case but has a larger diameter rim and case head.
8x68 copied the Newton. The common mistake with the Newton is to measure the case, where measuring the original Chamber Size is what's relevant. Newton & Schuler both used fire form brass technology. .375 Ruger & 300 PRC are identical with exception of the shoulder height and Caliber differences. Someone should market the Hornady Doll.

Side Note: my original reference to the 7mm Von Hoff was in error,, as the Express was formed using the .404 Jeffery and I was referring the Von Hoff based on the 8x68 Case.

If there were a 300 PRC and something like 30 PRC (a short version) I'd agree it was a problem. If there's only one 6.5 PRC and one 300 PRC I don't see how what confusion there could be.

I get what you're saying It's just that I've seen people even on this forum getting confused and if that's the case there's many out there not as privy to the hobby that I feel will be a bit confused.

I don't know inks it's that big of a deal, I just think they could have done better. They however are known to be quite good at marketing, so I'm sure they considered it and decided this route was best.

Made ya look!

Has anyone made a reamer for this yet? Hornady hasn't published anything yet so I was wondering how many people have succumbed to their wildcatting will and ordered one up...

I think at this point the Gallery needs to know which PRC you are referring to? the .284 PRC or the 7mm PRC? It's now been established the 7mm PRC would be based on the 6.5 PRC or the .338 RCM Case. The .284 PRC would be based on the .300 PRC Case.

(I know I appreciate the 7mm-300 RCM Improved.)

8x68 copied the Newton. The common mistake with the Newton is to measure the case, where measuring the original Chamber Size is what's relevant. Newton & Schuler both used fire form brass technology. .375 Ruger & 300 PRC are identical with exception of the shoulder height and Caliber differences. Someone should market the Hornady Doll.

Side Note: my original reference to the 7mm Von Hoff was in error,, as the Express was formed using the .404 Jeffery and I was referring the Von Hoff based on the 8x68 Case.

That didn't sound right, so I just double checked. The Newton case doesn't share any similar dimensions with the PRC/Ruger case. The Newton case and chamber are smaller in every dimension.

The .300 PRC is based off the .375 Ruger, and Hornady designed that case from the ground up. It's not a modified .404 Jeffery case or Rem Ultra Mag like the Nosler cases. It is it's on thing, not a copy or based on anything else.

A rip-off of what? There is no 7mm Newton. Were you critical of the 28 Nosler when it came out? It's just a rip off of the 7mm Dakota. A 7mm/300 PRC would be dimensionally different than anything else out there. It would land in the same performance bracket as a number of other chamberings, but that's never stopped other rounds from being a success.

If a different wildcatter had presented the same idea, would it be a good idea then? What makes one person's idea to modify/improve a case a rip-off and a different person's idea to do the same thing some sort of brilliant cure to all that's wrong with the shooting world?
You must not have ever heard of a 7-375 Ruger wildcat that was popular a while back. Hell, even Quality Cartridge makes brass for it.

7mm-375 Ruger Head.jpg

You must not have ever heard of a 7-375 Ruger wildcat that was popular a while back. Hell, even Quality Cartridge makes brass for it.

View attachment 143771

The 7mm/375 Ruger (which I've had) isn't the same as a 7/300 PRC. I can assure you that designers at Hornady were playing with a 7mm on the 375 Ruger case long before Quality Cartridge made brass for it.