7mm dilemma !!!!

Mossy49

Trying to decide which 7mm to go with. Need some advice, pros and cons of each of them.....

There is no dilemma. Go with the 7 Rogue for Magnum bolt face, or 284 Jazz for Lapua bolt face.

Trying to decide which 7mm to go with. Need some advice, pros and cons of each of them.....

You cannot go wrong with a 26-28" barreled .280 AI or 7mm RemMag with 168-180 Bergers for work inside of 1K. And for work beyond 1K, a 26-30" barreled 7mm STW with 180 Bergers (or Berger 195 EOL's when available) is more than enough gun.

Don't get a 7 get a 30 cal...... 30 cal you can buy bullets from 100 grains all the way to 240..... The problem with the 7 is at ELR it's hard to see your bullet impacts if the conditions are not favorable. If you plan on shooting 1000 yards and in it doesn't matter..... I have owned 3 7mms 7RM 7Hulk and 7Allen Mag. All are good guns....... But not the same as a 30 cal.

Just finished initial load development on my newly built Savage 111 in 280 Ackley. 168 grain Bergers @ 2900 and change out of 26 inches of PacNor barrel. 0.338" @ 100 yards. Negligible recoil in a 12 pound rifle with JP brake. I am liking it. Used to run 180s out of 7rem mag @ 2905fps, but more recoil than my old beat up shoulder needed.

Umm.. That would take book the size of Applied Ballistics....

How far do you want to go
How fast do you want to get there
What are you trying to hit at the other end

You'll probably find the most parts, supplies and data for 7mm Rem Mag and it's capable of a lot. I've shot many whitetail deer with it out to 500 yards, a moose at 250 and I've taken it to 1000 on paper no problem.

I don't know if you are interested in wildcats or not, but if you are, here are a couple to consider. The 280 Sherman is a step up from the 280 A.I. if you want to stay with a long action on an '06 sized case. It is the most you can get out of the .470 case head. If you want a true short action with the capability of not single feeding the rounds, the 7 SS would be the way to go. Either one should make 3000' with 180's in a 26" barrel........Rich

Got the 30caliber covered, trying to decide which 7 mm going to work for me up in Alaska. To me availability on the 7mm Remington mag up here is the way to go. I own a custom 300 RUM Match that my father inlaw built for me. Wanting to make a lighter rifle for sheep and caribou hunting. Rifle will be used for hunting and paper punching.

Now that you have defined your needs, perhaps a short action in a lightweight stock chambered for the 284 win with a bullet somewhere between 140 gr and 168 gr would work nicely.

Using RL-17 I have achieved over 3100 fps with a moly coated 150 nosler ballistic tip with a 23" barrel. H4350 is another good choice. The old standard that Bob Hutton used back in 1963 was a 140 nosler partition with either 57 or 58 gr of IMR 4350 for velocity right at 3000 fps.

Some rifles can have their magazine boxes lengthened which helps as long as they feed properly. I used a M77 tang safety and had the mag modified to 3.1". The Ruger feeds this round very slickly.

Lapua makes 6.5-284 brass which can be easily necked up. A good high BC choice would be the 168 Berger classic hunter. It would fit better than the a VLD Berger having a its shorter tip.

You cannot go wrong with a 26-28" barreled .280 AI or 7mm RemMag with 168-180 Bergers for work inside of 1K. And for work beyond 1K, a 26-30" barreled 7mm STW with 180 Bergers (or Berger 195 EOL's when available) is more than enough gun.

Spot On! Good Advice, Couldn't Agree More!

DT

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.